2020 Shows in Greater Vancouver

Bill Dixon

Re: 2020 Shows in Greater Vancouver

Post by Bill Dixon »

VTE 2020 just cancelled today.
With groups of 50 or less being allowed in November, there was no way the show could proceed.
I expect this will kill the Chilliwack and Nanaimo shows as well.

I expect to hear next week that the September Edmonton show is cancelled.

With the limitation on crowd size, I do not see how the BCSME can open up this year.

2020 looks like the year that shows forgot.

Western Rails 2021 anybody?

At least when the restaurants reopen we can have a B3 session or two.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC

Richard-B

Post by Richard-B »

Bill Dixon wrote:VTE 2020 just cancelled today.
That's a BIG bummer...
I guess I had thought VTE was far enough out to be do-able. <<sigh>>
2020 looks like the year that shows forgot
My focus will now shift to the NMRA National in Santa Clara... July 4, 2021-July 10, 2021.

HOWEVER... if there is a Spring show in BC that looks good, I might try the drive up!
Is Western Rails 2021 just a one-day show?
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...

dileTTante

Post by dileTTante »

Yes, the Western Rails show is Sunday only and in a smaller venue.

As things seem to be improving around here, there may be some hope for 2020 events. On the other hand it's possible the world won't be the same again, so who knows?

This would be our tenth consecutive year for showing TT, but now it won't be.

-Terry C

CFRiad

Post by CFRiad »

Bill Dixon wrote:2020 looks like the year that shows forgot...
Yup.

I really miss a hectic show with set-up, troubleshooting and so on. We should organize a play date with trains in my garage. Let me think how can we do this.

Bill Dixon

Post by Bill Dixon »

An interesting idea.
How big an u shaped layout could we setup?
Would need more tables than the four I have.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC

CFRiad

Post by CFRiad »

The garage is 16x12, wall to wall. Obvsly, the car and bicycle will come out, the tool chest is on wheels and for this occasion I may even clean out the spider webs. For good lighting we have to leave the door open, so dry and warm weather is preferred.

Let's think about how to get more tables. Party rentals are on option, if there is any open. Some plywood on sawhorses is another possibility.

I'll leave it with you to draw up a track plan.

Bill Dixon

Post by Bill Dixon »

CFRiad wrote:The garage is 16x12, wall to wall. Obviously, the car and bicycle will come out, the tool chest is on wheels and for this occasion I may even clean out the spider webs. For good lighting we have to leave the door open, so dry and warm weather is preferred.

Let's think about how to get more tables. Party rentals are on option, if there is any open. Some plywood on sawhorses is another possibility.
A maximum sized layout needs 9 tables.
2020 Tibi Garage Tables.jpg
It needs four six foot tables. I have three and can borrow the fourth from work.
It needs five four foot tables. I have one. We either find/borrow four four-foot by two-foot tables, or we make them. One sheet of 4' x 8' plywood could be cut up to make four tables. Add some basic 2"x2" bracing underneath, and either basic legs, or cobble something up for them to sit on and we would be good to go.

The layout would be a basic loop to loop with several crossings, and space for the new industrial area inside.
2020 Garage Layout.jpg
The only kludge is three pieces of R2 curve and a few straight bits to connect up the industrial area. Some two inch foam and shims would hold the track.
We have our loop to loop to run, and an area to setup trains or do some switching.
There is room under the layout for the bicycle. The tool chest can be inside the layout as a work surface, and the car goes outside on the street.
If you were amenable to the idea, the layout could be left setup for a few days.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC

Richard-B

Post by Richard-B »

>>the layout could be left setup for a few [days] months.

Why waste garage space on a CAR!!!

CFRiad

Post by CFRiad »

Bill Dixon wrote:It needs four six foot tables. I have three and can borrow the fourth from work.
Check.
Bill Dixon wrote:It needs five four foot tables. I have one. We either find/borrow four four-foot by two-foot tables, or we make them. One sheet of 4' x 8' plywood could be cut up to make four tables. Add some basic 2"x2" bracing underneath, and either basic legs, or cobble something up for them to sit on and we would be good to go.
I have the plywood, we only need legs. I can make a few as I have a sh!t ton of scrap lumber. What is the height of the table surface so i can match it?
Bill Dixon wrote:The layout would be a basic loop to loop with several crossings, and space for the new industrial area inside. The only kludge is three pieces of R2 curve and a few straight bits to connect up the industrial area. Some two inch foam and shims would hold the track. We have our loop to loop to run, and an area to setup trains or do some switching.
Oh, yeah!
Bill Dixon wrote:There is room under the layout for the bicycle.
:o What? The bicycle lying on the floor, under the layout? You must be kidding, right? The bicycle goes in the house. In a foam case. In a climate controlled room. With lavender scented candles.
Bill Dixon wrote:The tool chest can be inside the layout as a work surface, and the car goes outside on the street.
NP
Bill Dixon wrote:If you were amenable to the idea, the layout could be left setup for a few days.
Yes and the bits can be left here for repeats.
Richard-B wrote:>>the layout could be left setup for a few [days] months. Why waste garage space on a CAR!!!
Maaaybeee... not... But when the border opens and they let you into the country, we can set it up again so you can play too.

Richard-B

Post by Richard-B »

CFRiad wrote:But when the border opens and they let you into the country
The first will happen at some point;
The second... Well; If the Mounties catch me smuggling in TT trains... It's all over!

Return to “Events”