2020 Shows in Greater Vancouver

Bill Dixon

2020 Shows in Greater Vancouver

Post by Bill Dixon »

Just got word that the September 2020 Victoria show has cancelled. I had hoped to take the GuiTTar case there, but not this year.

Still not cancelled yet:
June/July BCSME. Not holding much hope for this. Might be too soon. The BCSME is monitoring things closely and deciding month by month whether they will open.
August BCSME - Might happen.
September Edmonton - do not know. Would not take the display there. Store might not go either.
Chilliwack in October - no word. They cancelled the June Free-Mo event.
Nanaimo November 1. Too soon to tell. Was going to take the GuiTTar case there.
Vancouver Train Expo 2020. Planning is on hold. Waiting for clarification from the venue about refunds if the event is cancelled.

Part of the problem for show organizers is getting enough advance notice for the Vendors and Exhibitors. Many of them plan way ahead, and a few weeks notice may not be enough.

Looking a bit bleak.

I think that if an event like Chilliwack happened, everybody would go to relieve the pent up demand for a show.

I am hoping that things clear up enough this summer that we can get to the Red Robin for a 3B get together (Beer, Burgers and BS).
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC

dileTTante

Re: 2020 Shows in Greater Vancouver

Post by dileTTante »

The future: virtual train shows by web conferencing. Layouts operated through the internet. Then Bjoern could participate.
- Terry C

CN-TT

Post by CN-TT »

A little late but it would be great to run some trains "at home" :wave:

CN-TT

Post by CN-TT »

It could work via MS Teams! It would allow me to take control of someones PC screen to run a train. :thumbup:

dileTTante

Post by dileTTante »

CN-TT wrote:It could work via MS Teams! It would allow me to take control of someones PC screen to run a train. :thumbup:
An alternative is JMRI. The computer running it can operate the command station directly, wired or wireless. JMRI has a web server. Train control and layout control can all be done through the internet from any other computer or tablet or phone.

https://www.jmri.org/help/en/package/jm ... ttle.shtml

The only layouts here are Voytek's at his home and our show layout wherever. Neither has feedback arrangements so camera views of layout and operators would be needed. MS Teams could be the way to do that. I have downloaded the software and investigating, since I know nothing at all about it.

It is good to know that you are still keeping an eye on us, Bjoern.
-Terry C

CN-TT

Post by CN-TT »

:wave: :thumbup:

Bigelov

Post by Bigelov »

A few weeks ago on the MRH forum, there was a post about remote operations of a layout. One guy in England, another in Australia operating a layout in the US. It talks a bit about how they made it happen and there is a link to part of the session on YouTube.

https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/39170
Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

dileTTante

Post by dileTTante »

Many thanks for the link. It looks like the JMRI WiThrottle is more effective than the webThrottle. Recent experiences with internet access made me wonder about how practical any of this could be. With more usage by everyone these days my high speed service often has been either slow or nothing. Seemed like using a telephone modem back in the 1990s. Information about remote control is also at JMRI site (https://www.jmri.org/help/en/package/jm ... tml#remote)

For trying out the concepts of remote operation the GuiTTar Case, built by Bjoern and now in the hands of Bill Dixon, would be ideal. The whole thing can be viewed with one camera. The whole thing can be operated remotely. The locomotives and turnouts are all DCC. So are the couplers on the original locomotives and cars. The Roco app on a tablet has the throttle and has a view of the layout plan for activation of the turnouts. Control can be accomplished remotely with WiThrottle for IOS and Engine Driver for Android. A computer running JMRI would need to be controlling the Z21 of the GuiTTar Case. This link (2015-nmra-convention-portland-or-t2263-140.html) is to discussion of the GuiTTar Case at the 2015 national show in Portland Oregon.

The topic on the MRH forum deals with group operations. Remote conferencing methods get many people together at one place, that is, many operators at one layout. But there remains the question of how to arrange for an equivalent of a public train show whereby anyone could view a variety of working layouts. One post on the MRH forum mentions a pay-per-operator set up which perhaps could be organised into a virtual show.

- Terry C
Attachments
Amtrak Cascades.JPG
DSC03274R.JPG

Bill Dixon

Post by Bill Dixon »

The idea intrigues me.

I don't know about switching as that would require every turnout to be controllable and there to be a good method of remote uncoupling.

I see it more as a train pushing a camera car in front of it. Controllable turnouts (crossovers and turnouts to sidings) would be clearly marked with their numbers and signals to show which way they are thrown.

I believe that WIFI camera modules are small enough to fit on a depressed center flat car (Triang Bogie flat car).
I do not yet know how you would make all the software work reliably.

An idea worth following up. Have to start by buying a camera module.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC

dileTTante

Post by dileTTante »

Bill Dixon wrote:I don't know about switching as that would require every turnout to be controllable and there to be a good method of remote uncoupling.
That is why I mentioned the GuiTTar Case for testing. It has all those features. It doesn't require a large space and a group of people to set it up for experiments.

A camera locomotive offers a view of the track which might please a public group but does nothing for the operator of the train, unless there are signals, turnout controls and indicators to mark the route. For simple operations a general overview of the layout seems preferable.

A virtual train show, however, needs to present more than one layout to a number of viewers. The simplest solution is a bunch of youtube videos. But that seems like not much fun.

I have no experience in any of this but a possible route is web casts. So far it looks like these present just one venue (one layout, for example) to several viewers. There are descriptions of how to use multiple cameras for a web cast, switching among the camera views for variety during presentation. This would be good for showing different views of a layout.

Possibly this multi camera technique can be used to pull in cameras from a group of layouts in different locations to produce one webcast. Conceivably, there could be a broadcast of a few TT layouts to a number of TT nuts.

- Terry C

Return to “Events”