2021 Shows in Greater Vancouver

Bill Dixon

2021 Shows in Greater Vancouver

Post by Bill Dixon »

Shows in 2021.
Will things have settled down enough for shows to safely occur? I don't know, but here are my predictions.

Western Rails 2021 - March. The first problem is the show committee. They were retiring after the 2020 event. I don't know if there is a new committee yet. Even if there is a new committee, I think that this event is too early in the year to occur. So No Go.

Nanaimo Show - Spring. Too early in the year to occur. If rescheduled to the Fall (like they tried to do this year) it may occur. So Spring - No Go. Fall - maybe.

The Calgary show in April is asking under what conditions will Exhibitors/Vendors attend. I think it is too early in the year to happen. So no go.

BCSME June. Maybe, might still be too early but not impossible.

The NMRA National in Santa Clara. Too many unknown factors right now. Will the border be open? What will the state of the pandemic be in Washington, Oregon and California? Will it be safe to travel in the USA? Will I and the other local TT Nuts feel it is safe to go? I don't know. I expect a go/no go announcement from the show committee early 2021.
The best thing might be to delay the show for a year. 2022 is currently open.

BCSME Late August/September. A reasonable chance of occurring.

Edmonton September - A reasonable chance of occurring.

Chilliiwack in October. Late enough in the year that there is a reasonable chance of occurring. This might be our first big show of the year.

VTE November 2021. Late enough in the year that there is a reasonable chance of occurring. Of course given the choice of weekends before or after Remembrance Day, they chose the one that conflicts with another event I really want to go to. Sigh!

One thin g to remember is the lead time required to run a show. Smaller shows like we have here require at least six month lead time.
Big shows like the NMRA National need years to pre plan.

A bit pessimistic about 2021 perhaps, but realistic.
Much can happen before then so we will see.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC

AstroGoat760

Re: 2021 Shows in Greater Vancouver

Post by AstroGoat760 »

Hopefully 2021 turns out to be a better year than 2020 has been for model railroading. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Life is short, play with TT Scale Trains!

Bill Dixon

Post by Bill Dixon »

It is official, VTE 2021 is cancelled.
It may have been doable but the PNE where the event is held has a no refund policy. If you pay ans then cancel your event, you don't get your money back. Losing the deposit would kill the show.

So now hoping for 2022.

Still no word on the last possible show this year (baring a private event), Chilliwack in October.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC

Marquette

Post by Marquette »

:(

PNE could have a *bit* of understanding, considering the situation of the world... b*****s
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
http://espeett.blogspot.com/

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

Marquette wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:36 pm :(

PNE could have a *bit* of understanding, considering the situation of the world... b*****s

Seriously. Apparently punishing customers is their business strategy.
:wave:

Bill Dixon

Post by Bill Dixon »

ConducTTor wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:25 am
Marquette wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:36 pm :(

Seriously. Apparently punishing customers is their business strategy.
The PNE is in a rock and a hard place situation.
It is a city owned facility so it is not eligible for the various Covid relief grants.

As well the current city council doesn't really like the PNE very much.It is located on very valuable land and the city would really like to close or move it. The problem the city has is you can't just kill a 110 year old tradition. Too many people have good memories of the PNE and it would be political suicide to kill it. As well it provides employment (when it is open) for many teenagers, giving them money for the fall school year.

Last year all the facilities were closed but they managed to hold sold out drive through food events.
The PNE Prize Home continues. Every year they build a home on site and raffle it off. Be nice to win it even though they are rather useless homes from a model railroader prospective. Not a decent layout room in any one of them. Still they were constrained by the fact the house had to be moved to its final destination. Usually some vacation area.

So the PNE soldiers on.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC

Marquette

Post by Marquette »

Bill Dixon wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:06 am The problem the city has is you can't just kill a 110 year old tradition.
New Westminster had no qualms about killing a 150 year old tradition...
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
http://espeett.blogspot.com/

Return to “Events”