Z21 ON tillig track.

Bruno Strasser

Z21 ON tillig track.

Post by Bruno Strasser »

I have added a white starter z21 starter set to my tillig start set with tillig track.Looking at the instructions of the Z21 the track is powered by a cable with a green socket at one end. The other end to connect to the track has two pins which is not compatible with the tillig feeder track.The tillig feeder track just has two points to insert the bare wires. The tillig feeder track has a capacitor (I think). I am not sure that the z21 cable end with the the two pins can be just cut off and the bare wires inserted in to the tillig feeder track. The z21 has dire warnings of the z21 unit being wrecked if it is used on a track with a capacitor. Being a complete novice any advice would be gratefully received.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

dileTTante

Re: Z21 ON tillig track.

Post by dileTTante »

The capacitor on the bedding track looks like the photo attached. If your track has it my advice is to accept the warning from Roco and remove the capacitor.

You can cut off the pins of the connecting cable as you suggested.

Or you can loosen the screws on the green plug and remove the cable. Then use another cable which has bare wire at both ends, one end for the green plug and one end for the track.

Or you can try removing the green connector and turning the cable around. Maybe the end which was in the connector will fit into the track, and the end with the pins might fit into the green connector.

- Terry C
Attachments
83740.jpg
83740.jpg (22.74 KiB) Viewed 350 times

Bruno Strasser

Post by Bruno Strasser »

I think that's a capacitor on the tillig track. The second shows the points and bare wires that goes in to the green socket. Should I cut out the capacitor ?ImageImage

MacG

Post by MacG »

Yes, you should cut the capacitor leads.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:

Bruno Strasser

Post by Bruno Strasser »

Hi MacG. Thanks for that. Now how do I go about attaching the wires ? Solder one wire to each rail ? Remember I am a novice ! Good to hear from someone in Dresden. My favourite city in Germany [emoji4]

MacG

Post by MacG »

I think your photographed plug fit into the socket at the Tillig track. The other end of the wire comes into the green plug. You need only a screwdriver.

Yes. My hometown is a wonderful city. :grin:
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:

CFRiad

Post by CFRiad »

Stupidly enough, Tillig has two kinds of sectional track with electrical feed: one for DC and one for DCC. The only difference is the capacitor on the former. Apparently the bedding track comes only in the variant with the capacitor.

Remove the capacitor before connecting any digital command station (such as your z21) to the track.

After removing the capacitor, you can just connect or solder each wire from the command station to a rail on the track. Polarity does not matter.

Good luck and, if need more help, ask before proceeding, lest you fry your station.

Bruno Strasser

Post by Bruno Strasser »

The pins won't fit in to the tillig track. I think it is a solder job or I might drop tillig a note to look for the dcc track with no capacitor I am just at the stage of making sure the z21 works. Thanks for the responses - any help is really appreciated. It's great to know there are so many TT nuts out there ! What's the german for capacitor?......

CFRiad

Post by CFRiad »

Bruno Strasser wrote:What's the german for capacitor?
Kondensator
Last edited by CFRiad on Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CFRiad

Post by CFRiad »

Little dictionary:

Fūr Digitalbetrieb - for DCC operation
Fūr Gleichstrombetrieb - for DC operation
Ohne Kondensator - without capacitor
Mit Kondensator - with capacitor

Return to “Electric / DCC”