KM1 System 7 DCC Controller

Bill Dixon

KM1 System 7 DCC Controller

Post by Bill Dixon »

I need an English manual for a KM1 system.
I understand it is an Uhlenbrock Intellibox II in a slightly different enclosure with different connections on the back. I have the English manual for rhe Intellibox and was able to get the KM1 working with it, but I need the first few pages that explain the different connections.
Can anybody help?

And why an I playing with a KM1?

Well it came my way for a very good price.
It will handle my Digitrax throttles and with the right cable I can plug it into.my Z21 and use it as two throttles.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC

dileTTante

Re: KM1 System 7 DCC Controller

Post by dileTTante »

As you may have found already the information links offered by KM1 yield zero results.
Perhaps you can ask Eurorail Hobbies - it's listed on their web site.
Do you plan to use it with the Z21 through the sniff bus? Or use it as a booster? 20 volts @ 7 amps. Looks like it's meant for large scales.
- Terry C

MacG

Post by MacG »

KM1 Modellbau doesn't have an English manual for the SC7. I have called them. It is intended for large scales.

You can try to translate the part you are interested in via www.deepl.com. In the German manual, you can mark the lines and copy them.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:

Bill Dixon

Post by Bill Dixon »

dileTTante wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:11 am As you may have found already the information links offered by KM1 yield zero results.
Perhaps you can ask Eurorail Hobbies - it's listed on their web site.
Do you plan to use it with the Z21 through the sniff bus? Or use it as a booster? 20 volts @ 7 amps. Looks like it's meant for large scales.
- Terry C
KM1 makes awesome (quality and price) models for the Gauge 1 market. We have a few in the store.
The KM1 is obviously aimed at this market.There seem to be a fair number of locomotives already in the KM1 so i wonder if these are models KM1 made.
I have tested the KM1 system with my Digitrax throttle and it works well.
I know the KM1 can be connected to the Z21 through the Loconet bus if you use the right cable, so the KM1 can be used as two stationary throttles.
I do not know yet if I can use the Z21 to drive the KM1 as a booster (or boosters). There might also be a track voltage issue but I expect that might be adjustable. Haven't read much of the manual yet, just enough to change the language and test an HO Scale model.
Much more playing to do.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC

MacG

Post by MacG »

The track voltage of 20V cannot be changed. Maybe it is possible to supply the SC7 via a power supply with less output voltage. But this isn't documented and I advise against it.

Bill Dixon

Post by Bill Dixon »

MacG wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:16 am The track voltage of 20V cannot be changed. Maybe it is possible to supply the SC7 via a power supply with less output voltage. But this isn't documented and I advise against it.
Funnily enough when I contacted Uhlenbrock about the system (the KM1 is an modified Intellibox II) they suggested the same thing, lowering the input voltage.

I decided to pursue a different approach.
Digitrax makes a UP6Z which is designed to lower standard DCC voltages down to a safe level (8V) for Z-Scale models. It will drop the voltage 4 or 6 volts. I opened one up to see what was inside and found a series of Diodes used to drop the voltage.
The unit is rated for three amps but I wanted to know what its actual current limit was so I asked Digitrax Tech support about it. I got a script kiddie answer back that it was rated for three amps. I miss the early days of Digitrax when you could get an intelligent answer from AJ. He would have said that although it is rated at 3 amps, we used xyz diodes in it so you could drive it up to n amps.

Now although the device is rated for 3 AMPs they would have used larger diodes for safety. The question is how large?
Not being an expert in SMD Diode marking i don't know how to interpret them and haven't found a web site to help me yet.

The markings are:
||| * R
||| 30 D
The * looks like an X or a stylized 'Z'.
They should be high speed diodes so as to not degrade the DCC signal form.

I foresee a process of destructive testing and then repair to figure out what the limits are.
Or I could buy 20 x 10 AMP high speed diodes and make my own circuit.

We will see.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC

MacG

Post by MacG »

You can also use several bridge rectifiers, instead of the diodes. Simply connect plus and minus and install the two AC connectors in the supply line. These also have a nice surface to attach to a heat sink.

A more elegant and adjustable solution is the Digital Signal Regulator from amw.huebsch.at. In English at the bottom of the page.

Bill Dixon

Post by Bill Dixon »

MacG wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:24 pm You can also use several bridge rectifiers, instead of the diodes. Simply connect plus and minus and install the two AC connectors in the supply line. These also have a nice surface to attach to a heat sink.

A more elegant and adjustable solution is the Digital Signal Regulator from amw.huebsch.at. In English at the bottom of the page.
Thank You MacG

That looks interesting.
I'll have a closer look when I get home from work and use a browser that does better translation.
Shipping might be prohibitive. We will see.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC

MacG

Post by MacG »

The lower part of this website is translated into English. If not, you can switch the translation on at the upper right corner. Here are the Manual and the WhitePaper, both in German and English. Package, shipping, and handling are together 26,70 €.

dileTTante

Post by dileTTante »

To power my N scale trains through a decoder to the track I've been using the old Roco DCC (10764) which we use as a booster at train shows. Although the Z21 has adjustable track voltage I have used the old unit with a 12v wall wart instead and it works.

So a power supply with a lower voltage might work for you and make for a simpler system.
- Terry C

Return to “Electric / DCC”