Coastal Engineering F7 or F9

jmass

Re: Coastal Engineering F9

Post by jmass »

i was not aware that coastal engineering was makeing f units? joe

jmass

Re: Coastal Engineering F9

Post by jmass »

i believe they handed most of there stuff to pvm which is now defunct. seems to be the story of this scale!

Marquette

Re: Coastal Engineering F7 or F9

Post by Marquette »

Could this have been the source of the Tillig model?
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
http://espeett.blogspot.com/

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

Marquette wrote:Could this have been the source of the Tillig model?
I don't think so. I can tell from just the curves of the front - don't need to look at anything else.

As far as I know the Tillig model is based on a Rokal shell.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.

Marquette

Post by Marquette »

Ah, okay. I've never actually seen the Tillig unit. But the nose of the F units is something I don't think any model in any scale has gotten right, ever...
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
http://espeett.blogspot.com/

areibel

Post by areibel »

This has gotten me curious, so I sent Jim an email to see where he came up with the master for that one. I'm pretty sure his was out before the Lionels, and way before the Tillig. And maybe some of our German friends can provide more info, but I think the Tillig is based on a narrowed Rokal F unit? And I don't think Tillig actually produced the resin shells, just the chassis?
And there is one accurate F unit- the HO Highliners shell (now the Athearn Genesis line). Paul Lubliner started working on them from original EMD prints in the late 80's, and they're still the ones to beat! The really neat thing was you got the basic body and could detail it to match any F unit from an F2 to an F9, something still not done with any other model in any other scale.

MacG

Post by MacG »

ConducTTor wrote:... As far as I know the Tillig model is based on a Rokal shell.
Yes, the Tillig FP7 based on the Rokal shell. Lok-n-Roll got some shells and build chassis. At my video from the fair at Leipzig stands a Canadian Nation FP7 at the siding.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:

TiTan downunder

Post by TiTan downunder »

These are an FP unit. I have one of these bought from Coastal MANNNNYYYY years ago. We moved house 10 ( nearly 11 ) years ago and it was bought long before that. My guess 15+ years old - probably still have the paperwork somewhere.

It has been powered using a greatly filed down Piko ' Herkules " diesel chassis. The inside of the shell was also thinned, CAREFULLY with a dremel, especially around the nose. I have used the Lionel sideframes, laminating them to the thinned down Piko gear/wheel housing as the Coastal ones were too deep in the detail and protruded well outside the body shell.

Return to “Coastal Engineering TT Scale Models”