KRES double-deck train model 1973

LVG1

Re: KRES double-deck train model 1973

Post by LVG1 »

railtwister wrote:Come to think of it, most roe, when fried up, is a tannish white color, although I would be surprised if that's what they meant... :lol:
Considering how light the tone of this color is, this would be a serious explanation... :wink: :shh:

But the name of a standardized color is defined by the institution which has standardized it, and not by any other experts. :naughty:
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

The steps in the pictures are the end of the cars though. Not on the intermediate doors like the model picture. Perhaps those are different?
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.

j p

Post by j p »

The model has only 1 step while the prototype has 2 steps for each door. Is that what you have been trying to point out?
The 2nd step would prevent the model from running through streetcar curves which are very common on European layouts.

j p

Post by j p »

Streetcar curves are what the prototype would not be able to run through.
You can find those on 95% of layouts (incl. mine).
In case of this unit, the smallest curve radius for the prototype was 150 m, e.g. radius 1.25 m in TT scale, and even that only very slowly.
The manufacturers of the models make it possible for the models to run through unrealistic curves because that is what their customers ask for. And the customers ask for it because their space is limited. Sometimes it makes some details impossible on the model.

j p

Post by j p »

Christtking wrote:I got ya! The thing that I don't understand is that those norms are set by a NEM stardadization organization over there in Europe that the companies are asked (or forced?) to follow them? The companies should take in consideration that their products are sold over seas also. I guess they can not please everybody all the time.
European manufacturers do not follow the NEM standard regarding the smallest curve radii - with very few exceptions which have a very tiny share of the market: TT-filigran + Art&Detail.
Big manufacturers make their products (also) for the toy train segment of the market. That is why Tillig's and Kuehn's curves are sharper than NEM. The other manufacturers do not have their own track system and the customers expect from them that the models would be able to run on Tillig, Kuehn, and even Zeuke/BTTB track.
It is possible to make a layout according to NEM out of Tillig track (by not using radii which are smaller than NEM), it is not possible to make it out of Kuehn track (unless you only make an oval out of flex-track).
Remember, nobody is forced to follow NEM. Furthermore, anything built according to NMRA standard is also OK according to NEM. It is not the standard forcing companies to follow it, it is something much stronger than any standard: .... money !

LVG1

Post by LVG1 »

j p wrote:The 2nd step would prevent the model from running through streetcar curves which are very common on European layouts.
This is an explaination for the steps at the end doors. But the intermediate doors are in a short segment which (at least at the prototype) is fixed on the truck. So there is no motion between truck and carbody. So the second step would prevent from nothing.
Or does the model's construction differ from the prototype in that point?
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!

Return to “Kres TT Scale Models”