KRES VT 135 062 rail bus

dileTTante

KRES VT 135 062 rail bus

Post by dileTTante »

Here's a quick photo of VT 135 062 from KRES. It's the DC version which I bought thinking I could easily add a decoder myself. Running on DC the model is very nice. The head and tail lights change with the direction of travel, and all the interior lights are on. But of course the lights go off when the car stops.

With a decoder installed both head and tail lights come on at the same time, and the interior lights are on. The instructions, all in German, say that to use a decoder a couple surface-mount resistors must be removed from the circuit board, and I assume that will allow directional lighting with the decoder. Also, KRES will be producing a decoder for the rail bus which has various lighting control functions, including turning on and off the light in the toilet compartment. So it's better to get the DCC version of the bus when it is available.

Also, there will be a matching trailer in both DC and DCC versions.
Attachments
KRES VT 135
KRES VT 135

LVG1

Re: KRES VT 135 062 rail bus

Post by LVG1 »

Can anybody tell me the correct definition of the English term railbus?

The German counterpart is "Schienenbus". But this term only comprises light-weight vehicles. And this one is not light-weight.
Is it different in English?
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!

dileTTante

Post by dileTTante »

The terms are confusing because I don't know what I'm talking about. I used the word 'rail bus' carelessly because I was not aware of the distinctions of weight. I was not aware of a distinction between 'Schienenbus' and 'Triebwagen'. 'Rail car' might be a better word. The KRES VT 135 is much smaller than my BTTB VT 171, and one web video calls the VT 171 a 'Ferkeltaxi'.

Since these kinds of vehicles are not used in N. America there are no common terms for them, nothing to distinguish one from another. Long ago electric interurbans were used between towns and they were bigger than streetcars which are urban buses on tracks. The only recent example of a triebwagen in N. America I can think of is the powered passenger car by Budd and it is known by the brand name 'Budd Railcars'. But, as usual, I may be wrong.

LVG1

Post by LVG1 »

dileTTante wrote:I was not aware of a distinction between 'Schienenbus' and 'Triebwagen'.
"Schienenbus" (railbus) is a subcategory of "Triebwagen" (rail car).
Every rialbus is a rail car, too. But not every rail car is a railbus. :geek:
dileTTante wrote:The KRES VT 135 is much smaller than my BTTB VT 171
But the prototype of the pre war vehicle ("VT" is frequently used, but not correct) was clearly more heavy than the VT2.09 (from 1970 on series 171). :idea:
dileTTante wrote:..., and one web video calls the VT 171 a 'Ferkeltaxi'.
"Ferkeltaxi" or "Ferkeltaxe" is a colloquial designation that means: piglet's cab. :grin:
dileTTante wrote:Since these kinds of vehicles are not used in N. America there are no common terms for them, nothing to distinguish one from another.
North America is by far not the only region where English is spoken.
I guess, in Great Britain there probably is a clear definition. :eh:

By the way:
Is Cuba not North America?
Old "piglet's cabs" have been sold to Cuba. :wink:
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!

Return to “Kres TT Scale Models”