TT-Tracks

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: TT-Tracks

Post by ConducTTor »

:think: we really need a like button on this site. If only somebody here would do something useful :lol:
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.

Bill Dixon

Post by Bill Dixon »

Was raining this morning but stopped and dried up enough to set up two tables. The problem was finding enough straight space for the tables.
I originally thought about this space:
20200329_165211.jpg
but it is not long enough for a full loop to loop setup and is a bit too unlevel.

This is what I ended up with:
20200329_tables setup.jpg
two level tables.
To do a full loop to loop with industrial area, I need 21 feet.
No way to do that easily here. I will have to wait until we can setup at BCSME.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC

Bill Dixon

Post by Bill Dixon »

So why did I need tables? To set up the industrial area.
20200329_top view.jpg
Here is a top view of the five modules.
They went together with only one major issue.
The right end of the piece of foam I used for module four had been compressed and I didn't notice it when I glued the track down. Thus the track had an extreme drop to it. I cut beside the tracks and into the end of the module. This allowed me to insert spacers to bring the track back up to level.

Here all the modules populated with cars.
20200329_industrial area from end.jpg
This gave me a good idea that this set of modules will work as I planned.
Last edited by Bill Dixon on Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC

Bill Dixon

Post by Bill Dixon »

Here are the five modules one by one.

Module one populated with cars.
20200329_modules one and two populated.jpg
The ware house on the rear can be up to 17" x 4 3/4". It is shown here as if it was setup behind the other modules. In this setup you can use the rear mainline to hold a second string of cars for the warehouse.

If the modules are part of the main line the setup is different
20200329_module one alternate.jpg
Here the former connection to the layout, becomes an industrial spur. There is room for a small building in the front left 3" x 2".
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC

Bill Dixon

Post by Bill Dixon »

Module two.
20200329_module two populated.jpg
The industry in the rear will be a brewery 10" x 4".
The front track will be a 10" long coal trestle.

Module 3.
20200329_module three populated.jpg
The front track will be a Team track that can hold up to four cars.
The industry in the rear 8" x 4" will be possibly H P Products or a Blivet manufacturer.
Last edited by Bill Dixon on Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC

Bill Dixon

Post by Bill Dixon »

Module 4
20200329_module four populated.jpg
The front track will be an oil company. The rear a cold storage company- 12" x 2 1/4".

Module 5.
20200329_module five populated.jpg
The front left will be scrap yard. There is room for a second oil company on the right. The rear industry will be a stock yard with two chutes 8" x 4 1/2".

So far I an happy with the results.
Now to work on scenery, fascia, module feet, and then standin buildings.
The buildings will start with a foam or cardboard base. Then a cardboard or foam board standin building. This will probably be coloured up and then eventually be replaced with a proper structure.
Much work to do for a while.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC

Rich1853

Post by Rich1853 »

I like the NYC NW2 switcher in the PNW
Rich1853
Greetings from Melbourne, Florida USA
On the Space Coast of Florida

Bill Dixon

Post by Bill Dixon »

Started working on buildings for the Industrial modules
20200401_buildings for module one.jpg
Superior Detritus is a printed cardboard building I designed. The roof is sandpaper on styrene. When the glue holding two weights to the floor inside the building dries, I will glue the roof on. When that is done a few details on the roof - exhaust vent, drain pipes and some debris around the base of the building will complete it.

In the back ground is a printed paper mockup of the warehouse. I designed this late last night when I couldn't sleep. It shows me that the doors need to be wider apart. A half inch deep loading dock will do. The foundation needs to be cut down by half. There is only room for three doors and the subtle pattern to the grey is too subtle to print. I'll fix these issues tonight and print a new building tomorrow.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC

Bill Dixon

Post by Bill Dixon »

A nice day, suitable for working outside.
I setup two tables and started fixing the track on the industrial modules.
Looking at them I realized that two track kinks had snuck in and the whole set had a curve to them,

The first problem was between module one and two.
20200410_Module 1 2 kink.jpg
The problem was the curved track piece from the turnout on module two to module one. I used a standard half curve instead of a BR12-22K. The edge of the roadbed of the curved piece interfered with the mainline track causing a kink and a strange angle to the siding track. Some work with a knife and a file solve this issue. The other issue is that there was a wedge shaped gap between the two modules. I replaced a BG4 on the front line with a BG3 (1.5mm longer) and things look much better now.
The new alignment of the industrial siding had brought it much closer to the mainline.
20200410_Module 1 track spacing.jpg
About 14 scale feet, prototype yard track spacing. There is still more than enough clearance for trains to pass, but the tracks are close enough that if two strings of cars were side by side, they could be unloaded together with short ramps between the cars.
I am much happier with this pair of modules now.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC

Bill Dixon

Post by Bill Dixon »

Module three had a more serious problem.
20200410_Module 4 Track Kink.jpg
Again the problem was caused by the curved track piece interfering with the mainline track. I glued all of the back track at the same time on this module so I think the pressure of the interference caused the track to shift while the glue was drying.
On this module I added a short straight piece of track before the curve and then relaid the siding. This meant I also had to redo the siding track on module two.

It looks much better now.

I extended the spur of module four to the edge. I realized that there was no end loading ramp anywhere. There is room for one on module three so the track on module four was extended to reach it.

The module set still has a bit of a curve to it.
20200410_Before Gluing.jpg
But it looks much better now.

The last step after checking everything again was to glue the loose track back down.
20200410_Track Gluing.jpg
Here the module set is with various weights to hold things in place while the glue dries.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC

Return to “Layouts / Track Plans”