Sorrento Park (was New Naples Street)

RodTT

Sorrento Park (was New Naples Street)

Post by RodTT » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:31 am

I've made a start on my inventively named next layout by doing a potential track plan with AnyRail. It's the first time I've used this software and I like it. I've used the new Peco TT library they've incorporated. I was a bit concerned the turnouts wouldn't have a big enough radius but in fact they look ideal.
New Naples Street.png
Those of you who have seen pictures of my Naples Street layout will see it's very similar (in fact almost identical) - about the same size and with a similar track plan, only this one has an integrated fiddle yard area which will be semi visible to spectators and fully scenicked. The baseboard will be divided into two sections somewhere around the middle for ease of transportation and storage.

I may well use some of the buildings and other scenics from Naples Street unless I decide to sell it.

For the first time in over a decade I've actually spent money on new baseboard components - foamboard, cork sheet and balsa from Hobbycraft. My previous three or four layouts were all made from wood and other materials I bought around 2008 and kept recycling. It's also the first time since about 2003 that I've shelled out for new track (the new Peco stuff).

So now to get that baseboard built and play with some track!
Last edited by RodTT on Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheKnighTT

Re: New Naples Street

Post by TheKnighTT » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:28 am

How are you going to switch the switches? Sorry, can't think of the proper English terms.

RodTT

Post by RodTT » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:38 pm

TheKnighTT wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:28 am How are you going to switch the switches? Sorry, can't think of the proper English terms.
Probably with wire in tube underneath. I don't bother with motors. If I find I need to power the frogs (unlikely as all my locos run well over them as they are) I'll install microswitches. But the less wiring the better - not that I hate doing it, just that it always ends up messy!

Bigelov

Post by Bigelov » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:36 pm

Looking forward to see this come together :thumbup:

Funny how we keep coming back to similar track designs (well I know I do!). Will be good to see the new Peco track in use.
Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

RodTT

Post by RodTT » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:24 am

I've already had a mishap with the baseboard and decided to start again. For the surface I decided to use 5mm foamboard in two layers, with a layer of cork sheet on top. The frame is going to be balsa, which I've used successfully before. Even this thin foamboard is quite rigid and pretty much dead flat. When wet with glue or paint it bends but then goes back to something like straight when dry. Usually, that is - but not so when I glued two layers together, then stuck the cork sheet on top. The result - a decidedly curved surface, both lengthwise and laterally.

Rather than rely on the balsa framing to 'force' it straight, I've decided to start again, this time fixing one layer of foamboard to the balsa frame to give a rigid structure before gluing the other layer of foamboard and the cork sheet on top. We'll see how that goes.

I did manage to salvage the cork sheet by wetting the glue and carefully prising it off the bent foamboard with a steel rule.

I had intended to glue the foamboard sheets back to back, rather than back to front, which might have helped keep it straight, but either I forgot or it didn't make any difference. What a mess we modellers sometimes make for ourselves.

RodTT

Post by RodTT » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:51 am

Here's stage one of the new layout - baseboards, with a close-up of the joining dowels. Just awaiting another layer of foamboard and a cork topping. Then to the fun bit - track.
P1060547.JPG
P1060548.JPG
P1060545.JPG

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:44 am

Looking good! If it were me, I'd add one more switch and one more track in the fiddle yard. Yes it would be very short but enough for a locomotive. I've realized over the years that cramming as much track as possible in staging/fiddle yards is never a bad thing.
:wave:

RodTT

Post by RodTT » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:00 pm

How exactly do you mean Alex? (I can send you the file if you want to have a play).

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor » Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:33 pm

I don't have a computer available for AnyRail right now (it only works with PC).

Basically, the left hand switch in your fiddle yard, substitute it for an even tighter angle (overall shorter) one and then place another one back to back against it. You may have to use Kuhn or Tillig switches though to get the tighter geometry (I haven't had a chance to play with the Peco stuff so I don't know what's available).
:wave:

RodTT

Post by RodTT » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:05 am

I see what you mean. Yes, in fact that's the setup I have for Naples Street, two tracks leading into one as per the photo below. I could just about squeeze another track in the new plan as you suggest by using shorter turnouts but it's not worth it just for one extra spot. Mostly on Naples Street I only use one of the tracks anyway.
P1050159.JPG

Return to “Layouts / Track Plans”