Track Bed

Bruno Strasser

Track Bed

Post by Bruno Strasser »

After a delay of three years I have finally opened the box on my Tillig TT Startset ! Looking at starting a proper layout after having to abandon my initial plans for a Coffee Table layout.
What would you recommend for track bedding. Tillig have styrostone but it is prohibitively expensive. Noch seem to have some foam underlay too but again it is really expensive. Woodland Scenics do a foam bed but only in OO - would it be too large ? Cork seems cheapest but curves etc would be a nightmare.
Any suggestions gratefully received. :think:

Rich1853

Re: Track Bed

Post by Rich1853 »

Last year I've purchased samples of many types of TT bedding to get an idea to what to use in the train yard that is still in the planning stage.
The NOCH 99165 comes rolled up in a bag and the glued on ballast sheds big time and the ballast is out of scale compared to the others that I purchased. You will be cleaning up. Thumbs down.
The Tillig STYROSTONE dark brown and light gray are IMO a better product. I chose the dark brown for use in my Duisburg Wedau Gleisbau train yard as it looks prototypical watching the YouTube railfan videos. I just have to purchase that and the tracks and points. The gray one would look good in the mainline IMO. My layout now is all bedding tracks (startset type) of two loops a few slidings all on the perimeter, the yard will be in the center. As for ballast in granular form I purchased as samples Tillig 86407 light gray and Auhagen 63 833 gray granite and visually the Auhagen has black granular mixed in and looks like Tilligs STYROSTONE gray color.
I hope this helps
Last edited by Rich1853 on Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Rich1853
Greetings from Melbourne, Florida USA
On the Space Coast of Florida

Bruno Strasser

Re: Track Bed

Post by Bruno Strasser »

Thanks Rich... Looks like I'm going to have to start saving.......

Return to “Layouts / Track Plans”