AstroGoat and CaTTwoman's 2020 NTS Preparations

AstroGoat760

Re: AstroGoat and CaTTwoman's 2020 NTS Preparations

Post by AstroGoat760 »

Now the question is of barriers for the show layout.

We used plastic sheets to protect the layout in the 2013 NTS, but the end result was not pretty, nor cheap.

We are looking into stanchions and chain this time around. Any advice/experience/suggestions?
Life is short, play with TT Scale Trains!

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

The next step in preparations has been made for the 2020 NTS: we have reserved a motel nearby for the 15th of July to the 19th of July, 2020.

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

Here is the next evolution of the plans, using the same layout space, with the addition of protective barriers for 3 sides of the display, with the needed accessibility of an open 4th side:
2020 NTS Plans 1.02.jpg

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

And here is another idea that fits the active space parameters:
2020 NTS 1.03.jpg

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

Does anyone know who else may be displaying TT Scale at the 2020 NTS?

I called the layout coordinator today, and she said that there was already someone else set to display TT Scale and that there may not be room for our display there this year.

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

Well, I have reached a sticking point in the preparation for the 2020 NTS:

I am not sure if I should go with Tillig or Keuhn for the "big layout", as the lack of crossovers for Keuhn limits track plans, and I do not feel like using conversion joiners.

The other sticking point is the issues that I am having running BTTB on Keuhn, especially with regards to turnouts, where sometimes my modified BTTB 107s (I have already checked gauge, and all is well) sometimes will pick switches. It looks like the deeper flanges may be the issue. I love my modified BTTB equipment too much to just put it off to the wayside.

I have a fair amount of both Tillig and Keuhn track, so I am not sure where to move forward right now. Any advice would be much appreciated.

CFRiad

Post by CFRiad »

Well, you had two arguments against Kuehn and none for it. This simplifies the decision.

In the big scheme of things it doesn’t matter, as long as your trains run well, does it?

Purists say the code 70 is “more prototypical” for heavy rail in TT scale. That maybe so on a small home layout, but one cannot tell the difference on a show layout.

BTTB locos do not run well on code 70 track. Some of our modules have it and the deep flanges touch the rail fasteners making a rumbling sound. We gave up running old locos altogether. New locos and old BTTB cars with new wheels have no problems.
Last edited by CFRiad on Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

MacG

Post by MacG »

As CFRiad has already written, take the Tillig track. Your BTTB equipment needs it and there is a crossover.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

CFRiad wrote:Well, you had two arguments against Kuehn and none for it. This simplifies the decision.

In the big scheme of things it doesn’t matter, as long as your trains run well, does it?

Purists say the code 70 is “more prototypical” for heavy rail in TT scale. That maybe so on a small home layout, but one cannot tell the difference on a show layout.

BTTB locos do not run well on code 70 track. Some of our modules have it and the deep flanges touch the rail fasteners making a rumbling sound. We gave up running old locos altogether. New locos and old BTTB cars with new wheels have no problems.
MacG wrote:As CFRiad has already written, take the Tillig track. Your BTTB equipment needs it and there is a crossover.
I agree, I just wish that with how nice the WL10/WR10s are, that they would work with my motive power better. (I like having the set springs in the Keuhn turnouts, but that is not a necessity for me, once turnout drives are installed).

It will be a bit before I formulate my new "large" modular layout, so I have some time before I *have* to start on it to make decisions...

CFRiad

Post by CFRiad »

AstroGoat760 wrote:[...]I just wish that with how nice the WL10/WR10s are, that they would work with my motive power better. (I like having the set springs in the Keuhn turnouts, but that is not a necessity for me, once turnout drives are installed).
Tillig's EW3s look just as nice and work just as well. Their only drawback is the lack of set springs.

Return to “Layouts / Track Plans”