Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy

Post by ConducTTor »

Nice way to do that. Just a bit more accurate and it's there.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.

gerhard_k

Post by gerhard_k »

Bernd wrote: I did a quick calculation to find the grade. It's a 22" run, with a rise of 2". Comes out to be a 9.09% grade.

Bernd
Don't forget about the "vertical curve" at the beginning and end of the grade. Without one, your engines may high-center or hang up their pilots/cow catchers, and your couplers will certainly vertically unlatch.

From various forum postings and some alleged trials, the conventional guideline is 1% of grade change per car length - that means even for say 25-foot (2.5") cars, the guideline would want all of your 22" grade length for just >one< of the 2 vertical curves!! :doh:

I would advise doing some mock-up experiments, with your very short equipment you may be able to get away with being much more abrupt. Let us know what you find out, would be helpful for many of us.
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.

TinGoat

Post by TinGoat »

Here's a bit of information on creating vertical easements for grades.

I worked with a group to create On30 Module Standards which included 4% grades.

The first illustration shows radii for different grade easements. Take it from experience: It's important that the transition at the top of the grade is more gentle than at the bottom.
Vcurv_exm_2.jpg
I had equipment uncoupling at the top of a steep 4% grade and rolling back down the hill until I fixed the easement at the top.

This is a little doodle that I made for how you might draw a grade easement.
gradetransition.gif
gradetransition.gif (4.57 KiB) Viewed 628 times
This is a blurb that Geren W. Mortensen, Jr. did to illustrate the need for vertical curve easements.
OCUM_VERT_CURVE.pdf
(503.73 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
Lastly, I switched from using cork directly on styrofoam to using cork on 1/8" plywood for grades. The thin plywood is like using the "bent stick" method for creating easements.

Or, you could cough up the $7:00 for the Woodland Scenics Incline Starters
http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics. ... ART/page/1
Happy Railroadin'
The Tin Goat
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Overlooking Fairbank on the Toronto Belt Line
Ontario, Dominion of Canada
====
The Ontario Narrow Gauge Show:
http://www.narrowgaugeontario.com
====
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog:
http://humbervalleysimcoerailway.blogspot.com/
====
"Do you mind being apathetic?"

gerhard_k

Post by gerhard_k »

TinGoat wrote:
Or, you could cough up the $7.00 for the Woodland Scenics Incline Starters
http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics. ... ART/page/1

Actually, if you look at their diagram, these go straight into the 2% etc. slope, there is no transition / vertical curve. Carefully worded: "Each piece in a package elevates/lowers the track to/from a designated number of inches within a 24 inch stretch, allowing for a smooth transition from one *height* (my emphasis) to another."

Marquette

Post by Marquette »

Just saw some of those in use for an N scale layout, and it looked just fine once those were down along with roadbed and track.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
http://espeett.blogspot.com/

gerhard_k

Post by gerhard_k »

Bernd wrote:I think I've got the transition worked out pretty good.
Amazing how >just doing it< will overcome all the theoretical back-and-forth. :thumbup:

Nice work, and so much faster progress than I ever manage! :clap:

- Gerhard

TiTan downunder

Post by TiTan downunder »

I like that plan. The Second section on that plan must have an equally steep down grade between the two switched to the wharf assuming the track past the sandhouse is level and the wharf at O" . Could make for some interesting operations to the coal mine as you'd have to drag them up the incline and over the hump at the switch area. By the time you get the last car clear of the switch you'd be pushing them uphill to cross the bridge to the mine. Has to potential to keep anybody interested in switching manoeuvers entertained for hours.

Ian

gerhard_k

Post by gerhard_k »

TiTan downunder wrote:I like that plan. The Second section on that plan must have an equally steep down grade between the two switched {switches?} to the wharf assuming the track past the sandhouse is level and the wharf at O" .

Ian
I like it, too, especially the way the crowded big-city feeling of the original plan has been transformed into a (much more satisfying) sleepy back-country operation, with room for nice scenery. And the way the main(?) track goes into the tunnel, giving the opportunity to continue the layout to the left. But I would trade the pickle plant for a fish cannery.

With respect to the grades, I know you've already built the main uphill grade section, but looking at it now, some of the rise could have been in the track between the Tower switch and the top of the bridge, so your main grade could actually have been a little more gentle.
And then I was wondering how the elevations were going to be worked between the First Section and the Wharf, because (unless the layout is in Holland, where the land is below sea level behind the dikes :whistle: ) it wouldn't make sense to have the track to the Wharf going uphill...

gerhard_k

Post by gerhard_k »

Bernd wrote:NEWS FLASH

Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy. makes it's first run up a 9% grade through a 10" radius S curve.
Congratulations! And done with a 40-foot car and the SW, not mining-scale equipment! :clap:

As a point of info, when you observe the couplers during the run, how much of their vertical engagement is used up in the transitions, i.e., how close do they come to vertically unlatching?

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

:clap: well done
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.

Return to “Layouts / Track Plans”