AstroGoat and CaTT's Model Train Room

AstroGoat760

Re: AstroGoat and CaTT's Model Train Room

Post by AstroGoat760 »

Maybe 24" will be the magic number for the wall sections.

The next question that I am stuck on is the number of mainlines (# of independent trains running at once) for the layout.

I plan on sticking with conventional DC for the layout as well.
Life is short, play with TT Scale Trains!

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

Another though to consider: should we make the layout as a "dogbone" style or a circular layout with a lift bridge?

gerhard_k

Post by gerhard_k »

AstroGoat760 wrote:Another though to consider: should we make the layout as a "dogbone" style or a circular layout with a lift bridge?
The problem with a "dogbone" in a limited space is that almost all the track winds up on curves, which will make the layout of realistic and switchable station areas challenging; I think that outweighs the convenience of a walk-in plan. An around-the-walls scheme will allow more straight track and easier curve radii, and a lift-out or tilt-up (hinged) bridge section is not that difficult to build.
And if you want 2 independent mainlines, I think that would be just about impossible with a "dogbone" in your space.

But you need to first decide whether your layout will primarily provide display circle-running or whether you want to include realistic train make-up and car switching, for (at least per the conventional wisdom) more long-term satisfaction. For the latter objective, a single mainline would certainly give a more functional track plan. Even in TT, I'm sure you've already found that your available space imposes strong limitations on your options. :boohoo:

Good luck! And you can rest assured that all your friends here on the Board will happily critique any track plan ideas you care to present... :wave:
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

Thanks for the advice. I think we will go with the around the walls plan with a tilt up bridge.

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

AstroGoat760 wrote:Thanks for the advice. I think we will go with the around the walls plan with a tilt up bridge.
You've chosen well ;)
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.

sacto-tt

Post by sacto-tt »

As a fellow around-the-roomer, I applaud your decision.
-Joe-

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

A little update on the train room:

We have decided to add drywall and insulation to the room over the next year, which will make the building of a permanent around-the-room layout impossible in the immediate term, so we plan on building a 4'x8' or 4'x12' layout in modular sections that can be reorganized as part of a larger 10'x14' or 12'x14' or 14'x14' layout.

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

For some reason I can't get the video to link properly, but here is a video of a HP 2-8-0 running on the 3x6 layout.
https://youtu.be/-km55ZsyIrc?list=PLMj6 ... SLsx3VJk81

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

Due to our need to protect the TT scale stuff from the kids, we are suspending our plans to make my train room into a large TT layout.

Instead we are going to put the trains in a HVAC'ed outbuilding, either to resemble a boxcar or caboose, or a train station. 10'x14' is too small of a space to build the TT layout that I want, so we are going to make a facility to allow for a bigger layout(s).

Details as they come.

We do plan on building a portable layout for shows as well within the next 36 months.

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

Well, it looks like we finally settled on an outbuilding to build layouts in: that big mostly finished inside barn. Some upgrades will be made to it, and the barn itself will become a Train Barn!

There are 4 separate rooms in the barn that can accommodate a layout, along with the bay space.

So far the plans are to put TT in the biggest isolable room, and the others taken up by HO, OO (American), N, Z and T Gauge (N and Z will share a room with Tgauge). Standard, O, and S will go in the bay area, with an elevated G loop as well. All of that will joined by pictures, and some 1:1 items.

Return to “Layouts / Track Plans”