Site Admin

Re: New Naples Street

Post by ConducTTor » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:22 pm

Gotcha :thumbup:
:wave:

RodTT

Post by RodTT » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:05 am

Actually, I made a new fiddle yard (or stick) for Naples Street for occasionally playing trains at home - it's all I need and it doesn't stick out into the doorway like the old one...
P1060549.JPG
It just gives room tor two short freight cars or a loco and one car. There's minimalist for you.
The red handle thing at the bottom screws up into the base for adjusting the level.
On the new layout I'll have oodles of room in comparison!

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:42 am

Love the ingenuity :thumbup:

MacG

Post by MacG » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:57 pm

You can also build a simple turntable or a traverser with two tracks. You get more track length without the turnout.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:

RodTT

Post by RodTT » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:36 am

Yes, that's an idea I'd also been thinking of - a simple sector plate. But I wanted to keep the track static as far as possible, for simplicity. Anyway I haven't discounted any suggestions yet, and I'm going to let a few ideas sink in before I go any further. I may wait until the new Peco small radius turnouts are available to see what difference they make to the overall plan.

I may already have a first show date for this new layout - next August - so plenty time, but at the same time a possible deadline, and I don't like deadlines, however far away they are!

RodTT

Sorrento Park (was New Naples Street)

Post by RodTT » Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:15 am

So here's the new track plan all laid out. The main part is all Peco 1:120, the fiddle yard at top right is the old Peco HOm. I may change this when the new Peco small radius turnouts are available. I've taken up an idea suggested I think by Alex and installed a crossover in the fiddle yard, which allows for both a double track and a run-round for the loco.
I must say this new Peco track is great to work with - it bends when you want it to and stays put when you want it to.
Because of the way the Unifrog turnouts conduct, I could have got away with just one electrical feed on the main board, but I've installed one at each end just to make sure there are no dropouts.
As to electrical continuity between the baseboards, I'm thinking of using nickel silver or brass plates fixed vertically to the inner edges which press together when the two baseboard pieces are joined. If this proves unreliable then I'll think again. What are other people's preferred methods?
P1060557.JPG

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Sorrento Park (was New Naples Street)

Post by ConducTTor » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:19 am

I use male and female version of these, just hanging off the wires. Haven't failed me yet.

https://smile.amazon.com/Ksmile%C2%AE-F ... 69fdeef107

RodTT

Post by RodTT » Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:28 am

They look neat - and cheap too!
P1060564.JPG
I've tried this arrangement in the meantime, and it seems to work well enough, with electrical contact being made between the metal plates when the two baseboard ends are pushed together (of course they are upside down in the picture).

A bit of tidying up of the under-baseboard wiring, then the next thing is to install wire in tube for turnout control. The locos seem perfectly happy with the dead frogs so I've no polarity change wiring to do. Hurray!

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:00 am

A fine solution. Perhaps bend one side in a bit of a "c" shape to give it springiness. That way the two modules don't have to be perfectly against each other.

RodTT

Post by RodTT » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:04 am

ConducTTor wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:00 am A fine solution. Perhaps bend one side in a bit of a "c" shape to give it springiness. That way the two modules don't have to be perfectly against each other.
:thumbup:

Return to “Layouts / Track Plans”