Romania - Caile Ferate Romane

These are prototypes which either exist as TT scale models or can be modeled from existing models.
LemingAnadyrski

Re: Romania - Caile Ferate Romane

Post by LemingAnadyrski »

CFRiad wrote:Part four of the CFR series about periods IV and V (1970 - 2000): short-haul and suburban/commuter cars for domestic service only (not RIC compliant)

Series 11-47/21-47 These suburban cars were built in the 70’s. All first class and most (~850) second class units were built in Romania. About 180 second class units were imported from Poland. They are 24.5 metres long, otherwise they look a bit like the German Silberlings. The cars have radiant heating using steam and single voltage (1500 V AC) electric heat sources. The Romanian-made cars have a ribbed roof and exposed access stairs. The units made in Poland have smooth roofs and the car body projects downwards to encase the access stairs.
It's a car very similar to type 120A. Both of them were produced by PaFaWag in Wrocław in seventies (120A until mid-eighties). We had a lot of those in Poland, mostly used in regional trafic, and some of them are still in use today. Two easily noticeable differences are triangular protrusions near doors - Polish version doesn't have them - and windows with tilting upper part - Polish 120A has upper part shifting down past the lower part (so three decades ago, when many trains were *really* crowded, fit and slim people were able to get inside through the windows to get a sitting place - and it's not a joke). Those two features of the Romanian version were inherited from earlier Polish car - 43A (colloquialy known as "ryflak" - the ribbed one). According to InfoRail website another important difference were bogies - licensed Minden-Deutz instead of Polish 4ANc.

Here for comparison a picture of the Romanian one.

A TT model of 120A is produced by Maciej Turkowski - Matu Model. Image
The price stated at the website is 55 EUR for a kit (assuming 1 EUR = 4,20 PLN; ready to run Polish cars are from 83 to 107 EUR). The question is wheather Minden-Deutz bogies of the variety used in Romanian version of this car are avaliable in TT (+different windows, triangular protrusions and most probably modifications of the interior of the car).
[Edit: I have uploaded the image of the model as an attachment, because otherwise some advertisement was displayed instead of an image - probably server checks HTTP Referer header as a defence against hotlinking]

As for the Gags model manufactured by Karsei, the original cars were made by UV Arad in Romania (dr-wagen database says: year 1964/65) and imported to East Germany. So as far as the export version for DDR was identical to the domestic one then all you have to do is to print decals. :-)
CFRiad wrote:Part 7 of the CFR periods 4-5 (1970 - 2000)
Zas - four-axle tanker car with, if I remember correctly, double insulated walls. And now, Ladies and Gentlemen, drum roll please: an actual TT model made by Tillig (art. #15468). Cue in the fireworks and the uplifting orchestral music.
232 231.
Well, Tillig's mold shows a German car after some modernisation (made probably in the period of DB AG). AFAIK original version made in 70s had only two ribs (the first and the last one - fortunately those are the ones that seem to match the Romanian car). Does length of the model matches the original?
Attachments
Matu Model - http://matu.c0.pl/
Matu Model - http://matu.c0.pl/

CFRiad

Post by CFRiad »

LemingAnadyrski wrote:so three decades ago, when many trains were *really* crowded, fit and slim people were able to get inside through the windows to get a sitting place - and it's not a joke.
I know it is not a joke. It happened often on the CFR network too. Probably the reason for designing the narrow folding windows was exactly this one.

CFRiad

Post by CFRiad »

LemingAnadyrski wrote: It's a car very similar to type 120A.
A TT model of 120A is produced by Maciej Turkowski - Matu Model.
The question is wheather Minden-Deutz bogies of the variety used in Romanian version of this car are avaliable in TT (+different windows, triangular protrusions and most probably modifications of the interior of the car).
Thanks for this very useful information. Even though kitbashing is not easy, we are a step closer than before.

I am not aware of any CFR-type Minden-Deutz bogie available in TT. All TT models of CFR cars I saw had the later Goerlitz VI bogies. We might have to held our noses and just use them. I will have to look at the Kuehn and Tillig catalogues to see if any of their period 3-4 DR cars have Minden-Deutz bogies or similar.

BogdanRa

Post by BogdanRa »

Hello
I am the starter of RoTT project and I collect to go into international expositions some CFR loks and cars:
Here is a DA, an LDH (both made by Nicky Stama) and a Te4 car system made by Szeles Joszef

modorney

Post by modorney »

That's nice

I like how the first class passengers get a little more room than the second. :)

CFRiad

Post by CFRiad »

I meant to update this post for a few month now, but I didn't get around to it. Life, I guess... Anyways, so it goes...

A big (huge?) evolution for TT scale modelling of Romanian railways: our friends at MTB released a model of the 060 diesel-electric loco of the Romanian railways. It has the original body and the late 2000's livery of CFR Călători, the government-owned passenger railway operator.

Some of these locos were rebuilt with Caterpillar engines, variable frequency drives, asynchronous 3-phase motors, 1500 V AC head-end power generators and air-conditioned cabs. The originals had Sultzer V12 engines, variable voltage drives, DC series motors and no head-end power.
CFRiad wrote:060/061 series (formerly DA/DA1 series) 6-axle diesel electrical locomotives (axle formula Co'-Co') had a maximum power of 2,100 HP. The first six units were built in Switzerland by joint venture between Brown-Boveri and SLM Wintherthur. The following ~1400 units were built in Romania for CFR, with another 1000 units for export to Bulgaria, China and Poland. The 60/61 series are identical except the maximum allowable speed: 100 and 120 km/h respectively. They were/are used in passenger and freight service on all non-electrified main lines. They lacked train heating and needed a steam generating car to heat passenger trains.
Unit 060-DA-0001 built in 1959 in Switzerland
Unit 060-DA-0001 built in 1959 in Switzerland
Later unit in 2000's livery for CFR Călători
Later unit in 2000's livery for CFR Călători
TT model by MTB
TT model by MTB

Marquette

Post by Marquette »

Updated availability list in 1st post
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
http://espeett.blogspot.com/