Romania - Caile Ferate Romane

These are prototypes which either exist as TT scale models or can be modeled from existing models.
CFRiad

Re: Romania - Caile Ferate Romane

Post by CFRiad »

Part 6 about CFR in periods 4-5 (years from 1970 to 2000)

I know I said that part five was going to be the last about about passenger cars from that period. Here is a little post scriptum about passenger cars from other countries on the CFR network of the period.

International trains were usually composed of cars provided by all railway administrations that operated the trains. On the CFR network you could spot regularly ÖBB, BDZ, CSD, DR, MAV, PKP, TCDD and JZ cars. Rarely a few CIWL, SNCF or DB cars would show up. PKP also ran seasonal all-couchette trains that transited the CFR network on route to the Bulgarian Black Sea coast.

All trains to and from the Soviet Union were composed exclusively of SZD-owned Ammendorf cars transposed to standard gauge bogies and with the SA-3 couplers exchanged to chain couplers. In the 90's these trains were composed of the same types of cars, owned by RZD, UZ and CFM.

More posts about CFR freight cars and infrastructure from period 4-5 will really follow.

CFRiad

Post by CFRiad »

Part 7 of the CFR periods 4-5 (1970 - 2000)

This part covers freight cars. Here is where it gets interesting for TT modelers, as there are quite a few models out there that can be modified into CFR cars. I browsed quickly the current Tillig product line-up and picked the closest matches and, in one case, gasp, an actual model. Please help me with filling in the gaps and with recommending better alternatives.

I included the most common cars that you could see on the network at the time, the cars that create the look and feel of the period. Please note that the photos are recent, so the cars either have been repainted to match the colour schemes and logos of the current freight operators, or they are in disrepair, on their way to the scrapyard.

Esx - two-axle gondola with steel body and wood bottom. The paint on the real car in this photo is very faded, the model matches the actual colour better. Very good TT match is Tillig 14266.
210 209

Eacs - four-axle gondola car with steel walls and bottom. This car has the most unloading possibilities: The bottom drops open on both sides. The side walls have two double doors each. The bulkheads flip up for tipping. The couplers are built for rotary unloading. As a result, Eacs was the most common car on the CFR network of the period, with thousands of units ferrying all sorts of cargo. The side walls are curved. A good model does not exist but two are close. Tillig 15241 is an Eaos car with non-drop (probably wood) bottom and the sides are not curved but has the correct side panel arrangement. PMT 65351 has the walls curving correctly, but the doors are in the wrong location. Do you know a better match?
208 234 235

Fals - four-axle open hopper car with gravity unloading. Unit trains composed exclusively of these cars move high-volume bulk cargo such as coal or ore. CFR operated a a coal transshipment terminal at the break of gauge with Ukraine, then Soviet Union. The coal arriving in broad gauge hopper cars was unloaded into normal gauge CFR Fals cars. The model here is way off, please help finding a better match.
213 212

Faccpps - four-axle open hopper car with controlled gravity unloading. Discharge ports are located on both the sides of the car and along the centre, between the rails. Discharge gates are operated remotely with compressed air and the cars have a high-pressure compressed air header and connection hoses separate from those for the air brakes. These cars can unload while moving. They are used mainly to transport and distribute ballast for railway track construction and maintenance. Could not find a suitable TT model.

Ggs - two-axle boxcar with wood walls/floor and steel roof. These cars come in two variants: with and without brakeman's cabin. Good TT match is Schirmer 20321.
218 236

Gbs - two-axle high-volume boxcar with steel body and wood floors. Very good TT match is Tillig 17158.
216 215

Gags - four-axle boxcar with steel body and wood floors. Lok-Schlosserei makes a very good, albeit expensive TT model.
214 253

Ibbhs - two-axle high-volume thermally insulated car without refrigeration unit. Very good TT match is Tillig 14691 .
220 219

Ks - two-axle flat car with wood floor, low walls and folding stakes. Very good TT match is Tillig 14758.
222 221

Rgs - four-axle flat car with wood floor, low bulkheads, folding stakes and container pegs. Fits three 20-foot containers. Very good TT match is Tillig 15582.
224 223

Tals - four-axle covered hopper car with gravity unloading. The movable roof and the discharge gates are operated pneumatically. Unit trains composed exclusively of these cars used to move mainly uranium ore. Could not find a decent TT stand-in.

Ucs - two-axle cement silo car with pneumatic cyclone unloading. Good TT match is Piko 47750.
233 237

Uagps - four-axle grain hopper car with gravity unloading. The cars allow transportation of any product in granular/pellet form. To avoid cross-contamination, the cars reserved for grains are marked "CEREALE" in large lettering on the sides. I am not sure about this TT model. The Tillig catalogue shows a drawing rather than a photograph of the model. The car is classified as Uacs and it seems to have some pipes underneath, making me think this is a four-axle cement silo. Please help me clarify this. How did grain hopper cars look on the DR/DB network of the period?
227 226

Zaes - four-axle tanker car with double insulated walls and steam heat tracing. This was the most common tanker on the network, there were thousands of them in service. Could not find a decent TT match.

Zas - four-axle tanker car with, if I remember correctly, double insulated walls. And now, Ladies and Gentlemen, drum roll please: an actual TT model made by Tillig (art. #15468). Cue in the fireworks and the uplifting orchestral music.
232 231

More post to follow.
Last edited by CFRiad on Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 8 times in total.

CFRiad

Post by CFRiad »

j p wrote:Excellent!
@j p, thanks for the encouragement.

Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I'd say the forthcoming Piko cement wagon looks a closer match for the Ucs you illustrate.

http://www.piko-shop.de/index.php?vw_ty ... w_id=19056

PMT produce an open wagon with similar body profile to the Eacs, I'd say it's a bit closer than the Tillig model anyway.

http://www.pmt-modelle.de/2011/seiten/65351.html

j p

Post by j p »

The matching of the freight cars did not go well...
I'll add my suggestions for better match if/when I find them.

Eacs: that is a completely different car. It would be easier to built a new car from the scratch than to modify the model from Tillig. (wrong number of panels, wrong doors...)
But Tillig makes another car with correct number of panels. This is 15230, but any similar would work as a source for modification.

Ggs: that is also a completely different car. No match.
I am sure that something more similar to the CFR car exists.
Here is my suggestion: Schirmer 20321

Gags:
How about this? Could it be a match? The sides would need some modification, of course.
Edit: the version with 2 doors would be better:

Ucs: the model from Tillig is no match
Maybe the new model from Piko would be better?

j p

Post by j p »

Zaes tank car has been announced by Czech company Igramodel for 2015. Maybe it can be used for CFR too?
zaes_igra.jpg

j p

Post by j p »

I have found this picture on ebay.
I am not sure if Tillig made this CFR version of the double deckers or if it was repainted.
cfr_doubledecker.JPG
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

This is repainted.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.

j p

Post by j p »

Tillig's CFR 1st class passenger car
CFR1_1.jpg
CFR1_2.jpg

j p

Post by j p »

Christtking wrote:And by the way I take offense to these kind of mistakes. It is CFR, not CRF.
You have never made any typo? I know that it is CFR, I have written it correctly 100 times.
Please pm next time you find my typo and I correct it. No need for any offense.

Return to “Prototypes by Country”