Romania - Caile Ferate Romane

These are prototypes which either exist as TT scale models or can be modeled from existing models.
Christtking

Re: Romania - Caile Ferate Romane

Post by Christtking »

This it's been bothering me for years. I can not find any photos of real life double-deckers (single units not articulated) manufactured in East Germany during communism, or possibly built in Roumania under licence (?). The paint scheme in the (late?) 80's was similar to the East German coaches, instead of ocre brown it was blue. PIKO released 2 versions of the coach in HO scale but in complete blue paint scheme with the new CFR (funky) logo. That was the version after communism, I think in the early 90's, when CFR at one point changed its name to SNCFR (Societatea Nationala a Cailor Ferate Romane/ to sound like SNCF=French national railways society). PIKO made the same mistake twice when they printed the inscriptions for this coach (one version was released under EXPERT category, the second version under HOBBY, I think). Number "2" that represents second class is located in the wrong area (both ends, both sides). Anyway, at one point TTCLUB BERLIN was the originator of the idea to release this type of coaches on the market in TT scale, but the models were delayed. When I visited the owner of the company back in 2002, he told me that the real reason it takes him too long to released his models was that he just started to recover from open heart surgery. There were some models released on the market I think (I've never had a chance to get my hands on them), they were equipped with bogies used on BTTB (later TILLIG) Y type coaches (models discontinued by Tillig a few years ago). Then the competition kicked in. Kuehn released his versions of the models. Very nice! It would be nice if he will consider releasing some Romanian versions (from start to finish).

CFRiad

Post by CFRiad »

@Christtking,
As soon as I figure out how to include photos into these posts, I will upload some images. I assume you are talking about the CFR series 26-26 double deckers built in the early 80's by VEB Waggonbau Goerlitz from the former DDR.

LVG1

Post by LVG1 »

According to the reference list which I have, Waggonbau Görlitz (WG) delivered both four-segment articulated double deck trains and single double-decker coaches to Romania.

The articulated trains are called "type TE" in my reference list. How to interpret this information? Was this designation written on the cars? And if so, what did it mean? Or was this an internal designation only?
One pre-production train was delivered in 1962. From 1970 through 1977, the regular series of 129 trains was delivered.
In 1975, Romania even ordered some of their articulated trains with first-class furnishings in one of the segments! They were the only first-class double deckers made in GDR.

In 1984 / 1985, Romania got 230 single double-decker coaches.

Both were of the same types also delivered to Deutsche Reichsbahn (GDR), to Poland and to Czechoslovakia. Eight trains of the articulated type were also delivered to Bulgaria.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!

LVG1

Post by LVG1 »

CFRiad wrote:As soon as I figure out how to include photos into these posts, I will upload some images.
There's more than only one possibility.
I personally prefer to use the "img" button above the input field. If your image is already online (no matter where), copy its URL and paste it between the tags generated by the button:

Code: Select all

[img]put in the URL here[/img]
If your image is not yet online, you can upload it into your gallery in your personal area. Then use the URL from there.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!

krokodil

Post by krokodil »

LVG1 wrote:....
Both were of the same types also delivered to Deutsche Reichsbahn (GDR), to Poland and to Czechoslovakia. Eight trains of the articulated type were also delivered to Bulgaria.
I never saw any single frame double deckers in CSD nor in PKP livery. Do you have some photis from those coaches?
Greetings from Austria
E.T.

Christtking

Post by Christtking »

@krokodil. Give me a chance to find photos of the real life aggregate of the CSD version, please. Pictures of Kuehn's models could be found on his web site and most of them are already available in the shops in Europe. He is working on some other versions also. I am not exactly sure if any PKP versions are included.
@CFRiad. Da! Cred ca aia era designatia! Cred ca LVG1 a explicat aproape totul. Translation: Yes! I think that was the designation! I think that LVG1 covered almost everything.
If may I add. I think the Roumanian built compositions (under licence) the 4 rack always coupled together double deckers were a little different than the East German ones. In Roumania the practice of push trains was not allowed, only when the train was pushed from the depot to the main station (for example in Bucharest Nord=main terminal:kind of like Franfurt auf Main), so when the train (any type of train) was ready to leave for its destination the loco was always ready in the front. When the trains would arrive at their final destination the loco would pull all the way close to the buffers. We got the idea. Some of the European guys know what I am talking about. If the train had to continue its route to another destination, the loco that pulled the train will have to be uncoupled and would remain in that position until another loco will be coupled at the other end of the train (in the front again) for pull service (always). After the train will pull out to its next destination, then the original loco will pull out to go to the shop for maintenance or for its next duty in order to clear the track for another train to come in. So in reality the double decker (type TE) trains were never required to have control cabs, no use for them. By the way "TE" in Roumanian would stand for Tren Etajat which translates to "train with floors", meant for internal designation only. In German I believe the word for a building's floor would be: etage?), probably it is a French word. Floor in Roumanian is "etaj", train is "tren". Some common name for these type of coaches was vagon supraetajat (wagon/coach with an above floor). Another thing about those 4 unit double decker coaches if I remember correctly both end walls were extended straight even with the roof (no slope/ special design), same as the design of GLIEDERZUG. The gangways (accordion style made of rigid rubber) were not all the way up extended to the roof like the East German ones. Where the coach's straight walls would end that's where the "burduf" (accordion gangway) will end also, straight (flat) shape on the roof. There were end walls of each single coach on top sections were the rubber gangway was not present (extended) like found in the East German version (s). The buffers' shape were typical found in type Y,B, Y/70 coaches.
Last edited by Christtking on Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Christtking

Post by Christtking »

@krokodil: I just posted some photos under Czechoslovakia (1 of the real life coach/real life prototype version-not in manufacturing stage final decision, and 1 of the bogie that was used under those vehicles for Czechoslovakia). Photos are copies from a flyer presented in a fair by VEB Kombinat Schienefahrzeugbau DDR. I had to post the pictures under the correct thread since we are in Roumania here. About the Polish coaches, I could not post any photos since that link does not exist anymore. It was discovered that it was full of viruses and the boss (conducTTor) had to remove it. The coaches were similar to the East German ones, Roumanian and Czech ones. The exterior colors were: Top (roof & upper section) and bottom section were painted with (some kind of ) blue. The center section that divided the top and bottom sections was painted with (some kind of) yellow. I said "some kind of" because I am not exactly sure what was the correct names of those colors. Each country have different names for their custom paints.

krokodil

Post by krokodil »

Hi
thanks a lot, but I missunderstood you. This coach is just one part of the whole train and can be coupled only with the same type of coaches ( they have instead of the Jacobs boogie two trucks by car). This coach cannot be coupled with a regular passenger coach).
Greetings from Austria
E.T.

Christtking

Post by Christtking »

I have no idea where i've lost you. Yes it can be done! At either end. The train composition (old style 4 units) it was meant to be run such way, never uncouple them unless it needed maintenance or the need of adding more coaches (in between) depended on how busy the route was (if the number of passenger was increased). Sometimes the racks were consisting of 6 coaches coupled together (4 cars sandwiched between 2 end cars). The cars were used only on commuter trains (short distance) and were called "NAVETA".
The newer built modernized single unit double deckers, I heard that they are used in RAPID trains nowadays in Romania, kind of like in GERMANY (RE).

Christtking

Post by Christtking »

te6.jpg
Few more views of old style TE6
Few more views of old style TE6
After 1989 paint scheme single unit German type
After 1989 paint scheme single unit German type

Return to “Prototypes by Country”