Romania - Caile Ferate Romane

These are prototypes which either exist as TT scale models or can be modeled from existing models.
LVG1

Re: Romania - Caile Ferate Romane

Post by LVG1 »

Christtking wrote:Tillig article number 15506 it is not a CFR MARFA vehicle. I'm sorry that I'm off the subject here! It belongs to the ITL fleet.
I guess, the problem is something different.
Most of the model photos here are links to the online archives of manufacturers and dealers. And they don't know if anybody else uses their images. They sometimes change the images, but give them the same name. So, there are several pictures within these model threads which do not show anymore what they showed when they were linked. :(
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!

LVG1

Post by LVG1 »

Christtking wrote:..., but the question is: I'm I right? Article number 15506 it is not a CFR MARFA wagon.
I can't discern what railroad company it is. May be you are right. I don't know.

But wait a year or two. Then you possibly will not be right anymore, because the pictures will have been changed again. :crazy:
Do you understand what I'm trying to say? :wink:
"Let's eat, grandpa."

CFRiad

Post by CFRiad »

Here is a little more background information about Romanian railways (CFR) in periods IV and V (1970 to 2000)

CFR went though a very rapid modernization in the 1970's. By 1980 steam has virtually phased out, diesel locomotives were ubiquitous and a good portion of the main lines were electrified (25 kV, 50 Hz AC). At the time, railways were the main transportation mode for both passengers and freight. CFR had relatively few kinds of rolling stock, and this was compensated by large numbers.

The main locomotives were:
  • 040/041/042 series (formerly EA/EA1/EA2 series) 6-axle electrical locomotives (axle formula Co'-Co') had a maximum power of 5,100 kW (~7,400 HP). The first nine units were made in Sweden by ASEA the following about 1100 units were built in Romania under licence. The three types were identical except the maximum allowable speed: 120, 160 and 200 km/h respectively. They were used in passenger and freight service on all electrified lines. They were equipped with electrical train heating.
    CFR's first electric locomotive EA-001 built in 1965 by ASEA (Sweden)
    CFR's first electric locomotive EA-001 built in 1965 by ASEA (Sweden)
    One of the later models with asymmetrical pantographs (unit 40-0028)
    One of the later models with asymmetrical pantographs (unit 40-0028)
    043/044 series (formerly EC/EC1 series) 4-axle electrical locomotives (axle formula Bo'-Bo') had a maximum power of 3,400 kW. The approximately 150 units were built in Yugoslavia under ASEA licence. They shared the same technical platform as the 040 6-axle series and they looked as shortened versions of the above. The 043/044 series were identical except the maximum allowable speed: 120 and 160 km/h respectively. They were used in passenger service on some electrified lines. They were equipped with electrical train heating.
    The little electric (unit 43-0001). The bridge in the back is quite spectacular.
    The little electric (unit 43-0001). The bridge in the back is quite spectacular.
    060/061 series (formerly DA/DA1 series) 6-axle diesel electrical locomotives (axle formula Co'-Co') had a maximum power of 2,100 HP. The first six units were built in Switzerland by joint venture between Brown-Boveri and SLM Wintherthur. The following ~1400 units were built in Romania for CFR, with another 1000 units for export to Bulgaria, China and Poland. The 60/61 series are identical except the maximum allowable speed: 100 and 120 km/h respectively. They were/are used in passenger and freight service on all non-electrified main lines. They lacked train heating and needed a steam generating car to heat passenger trains.
    The Diesel workhorse (60 series) in original livery. (unit DA-001, built in 1959 in Switzerland)
    The Diesel workhorse (60 series) in original livery. (unit DA-001, built in 1959 in Switzerland)
    80 series (formerly DHC series) 4-axle diesel hydraulic locomotives (axle formula B'-B') has a maximum power of 1,250 HP and a maximum speed of 100 km/h. They were built in Romania and hauled passenger and freight train on secondary lines and were ubiquitous in shunting operations. They had steam train heating.
    80 series - the centre-cab hydraulic (unit 80-0121)
    80 series - the centre-cab hydraulic (unit 80-0121)
These four types covered the vast majority of duty on the network. Other locomotive series had limited use. You can find a complete list of locomotive series on English Wikipedia here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caile_Fera ... _and_stock.

Unfortunately, as Marquette mentioned, no manufacturers make TT scale models of any of these locomotives. 3D printer, anyone?

I will follow up with a few more articles about passenger and freight cars.
Last edited by CFRiad on Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:33 am, edited 6 times in total.

LVG1

Post by LVG1 »

Very interesting!
Consulting Wikipedia, it's often hard to find out which type of locomotive is of which importance. So you've given information which I've already searched for. I'm very thankful for that. :thumbup:

But I think, this is the wrong thread for this information. This subforum is about those vehicles which are available in TT scale or can easily be modelled. And this description doesn't fit the locomotives, you've written about. :shifty:
CFRiad wrote:I will follow up with a few more articles about passenger and freight cars.
I'ld suggest to place these articles in the "General Discussion" or "Prototypes / Models" subforum. There this information fits the intention of the threads better. :wink:
"Let's eat, grandpa."

CFRiad

Post by CFRiad »

@Christtking,
As soon as I figure out how to include photos into these posts, I will upload some images. I assume you are talking about the CFR series 26-26 double deckers built in the early 80's by VEB Waggonbau Goerlitz from the former DDR.

LVG1

Post by LVG1 »

According to the reference list which I have, Waggonbau Görlitz (WG) delivered both four-segment articulated double deck trains and single double-decker coaches to Romania.

The articulated trains are called "type TE" in my reference list. How to interpret this information? Was this designation written on the cars? And if so, what did it mean? Or was this an internal designation only?
One pre-production train was delivered in 1962. From 1970 through 1977, the regular series of 129 trains was delivered.
In 1975, Romania even ordered some of their articulated trains with first-class furnishings in one of the segments! They were the only first-class double deckers made in GDR.

In 1984 / 1985, Romania got 230 single double-decker coaches.

Both were of the same types also delivered to Deutsche Reichsbahn (GDR), to Poland and to Czechoslovakia. Eight trains of the articulated type were also delivered to Bulgaria.
"Let's eat, grandpa."

LVG1

Post by LVG1 »

CFRiad wrote:As soon as I figure out how to include photos into these posts, I will upload some images.
There's more than only one possibility.
I personally prefer to use the "img" button above the input field. If your image is already online (no matter where), copy its URL and paste it between the tags generated by the button:

Code: Select all

[img]put in the URL here[/img]
If your image is not yet online, you can upload it into your gallery in your personal area. Then use the URL from there.
"Let's eat, grandpa."

CFRiad

Post by CFRiad »

@Christtking. The photos you published are, from top to bottom:
  • - Series 16-17 double decker 4-car, permanently coupled units from the early '70, made in GDR. They had three 2nd class cars, one 1st class car and had no control cab. They originally came painted in dark green with grey roofs. Your photo shows the early 90's livery. Tillig catalogue number 13730+13740 is an excellent replica.
    - Series 26-17 double decker 4-car, permanently coupled units from the late '70, made in Romania under German licence. They have only 2nd class cars and no control cab. The roof is not sloped at the ends, otherwise they looked a lot like the 16-17 series.
    - Series 26-26 double decker car from the 80's, made in the GDR. CFR imported 1st and 2nd class cars. None had control cabs. The cars were individual units allowing coupling at will with other types of cars. They came in the light blue/grey roof livery. Tillig catalogue number 13799 is a decent stand-in. The middle, two-floor section of the German car is longer, making the end section shorter than on the CFR cars.
All these cars serviced high-traffic commuter lines around large industrial centres. Early morning and late afternoon trains on some of these lines were composed of up to 3 units of the 16-17 or 26-17 along with a mail/baggage van.
Last edited by CFRiad on Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:04 am, edited 6 times in total.

CFRiad

Post by CFRiad »

@LVG1. As you know, UIC prescribes uniform ways for all railways to designate vehicle types using letters and vehicle serials using numbers. E.g. a first and second class sleeper car would be designated as WLABmee ("WL" for sleeper, "AB" for 1/2 class, "m" for I-can't-remember, "ee" for multi voltage electric heating. Same car would get the 71-31 series as the 5th to 8th digit of their vehicle registration number ("7" for 1/2 class sleeper, "1" for 11 compartments, "31" for 140 km/h max speed and electric-only heating. See photo below.

That being said, the 16-17/26-17 cars were not UIC compliant and were meant for domestic service only. I don't think UIC had a letter designation for double-decker cars back in the 70's. CFR designated them as "TE". The letter designation appeared on the side of the car. In this photo you can see the "a" car of the four-car unit. The cars in the unit were designated as a-c-d-b, with "a" and "b" being the end cars.

Thanks for the hints on how to upload photos. Now I have to figure out how to resize them. :)
200 201
Last edited by CFRiad on Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:28 pm, edited 9 times in total.

CFRiad

Post by CFRiad »

@Christtking is correct. No CFR locomotive types allowed remote control. Since regulations do not allow driving from anywhere but the head of the train and a trailing engine could not be controlled from a control cabin or a head engine, push-pull operation was out of question.

At each change of direction the locomotives had to go around. Sometimes, to speed up changes of train direction a new locomotive stood ready to be attached at the new train head as soon as the train pulled into the station.

When a train needed multiple locomotives, each had its own crew. All locomotives but the one at the head had the brake control valved locked out, allowing only the head driver to control the brakes. The drivers synchronized the throttle by speaking over radio. As you see, efficiency was lacking a bit.

Return to “Prototypes by Country”