Hornby-Arnold HN9013 battery shunter ASF 1, DR Raw Dresden

Juup

Re: Hornby-Arnold HN9013 battery shunter ASF 1, DR Raw Dresd

Post by Juup » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:30 pm

Super discussion of possible uses. It seems to depend on exact needs. I am considering using it to pull electric locos across a non-electrified transfer table. However not as an isolated scene ... rather it would involve the actual electric locos used for passenger traffic on my layout. So tillig kuehn and beckmann BR103s, BR110s and so on ... the heavier loco pushing the asf might then work to simulate it all. But in cases were it would need to pull the asf then the tillig coupler may not hold. And a dummy asf would not be able to pull away by itself after the job is done ... I guess yes some carefully calibrated DCC 'consist' would be needed. Or easier, just add catenary to the transfer table :) There can still be a 'display' asf around as a recovery vehicle ... looking pretty but not necessarily doing any actual work :) Fun fun.

Juup

Using Tapatalk 2

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:57 pm

Juup wrote:in cases were it would need to pull the asf then the tillig coupler may not hold
Why? Have you tried it (I have not)?
:wave:

Rich B

Post by Rich B » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:33 am

Juup, I'll have a go at dragging the ASF with a loco ASAP and film it for you, I'll take it over baseboard joints to see how well the coupling holds.

LVG1

Post by LVG1 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:55 pm

Rich B wrote:Several are listed as going to Industrial service- see http://home.arcor.de/akkuschlepper/liefer.htm. There's more detail from the same site at http://home.arcor.de/akkuschlepper/statbet.htm
I have to confess, I'm absolutely surprized!
I didn't know (or even think) that there were so many operators using ASF's for other purposes than mentioned in my recent post.

Your first link shows a reference list saying that 371 units were delivered to customers within GDR. About half of them (188 units) were purchased by Deutsche Reichsbahn. DR only used them for the purposes mentioned. (Even the ASF which I've seen in Poland was used for the same purpose.)
Considering the importance of lignite mining in GDR and the giant mining railroads operated that time, it seems to be very probable that most of the other units were delivered to these mining railroads. There they were used for the same purposes, too.

Your second link gives detailed information about the purchasers of 112 units. The selection criteria are not clearly defined; but I guess, this list shows the "survivors"—those units which still exist in Germany.
A little bit of background information is necessary for interpretation. In the 1990's, most mines in East Germany were discontinued. Only small mining railroad networks remained. So the vast majority of the ASF's of mining companies became redundant and were scrapped. Also Deutsche Bahn shut many of their depots and repair plants down and consequently modernized what remained. So most of their ASF's were scrapped, too. That's why, the ASF's used by other industries had by far the largest chances to survive. So the ratio in this list is not representative for the commonness of the various fields of operation.

This list enumerates 24 units delivered to Deutsche Reichsbahn, 7 units for mining companies and 3 units delivered to manufacturers of locomotives and wagons, respectively. They will surely all have been used for the purposes already mentioned. The purchasers of further 8 units are not named.
This means that at least 70 units were delivered to other kinds of companies. And that's clearly more than I've assumed.

But some of those companies had giant industrial railroad networks, too. So it's probable that several of these units were also used within their repair facilities only.
Some other companies worked under special conditions making usage of diesel switchers unfavorable because of safety or other reasons (chemical plants for instance).
So it's not any average factory which usually used ASF's. By far most industries used diesel locomotives for switching. In ASF's power class, the usual locomotives were LB's types N2, N3 and N4 and later V10B, V18B and V22, ČKD's type BN150 from Czechoslovakia and from the late 1970's on the Russian "Kaluga"s (type ТГК2-Э1 [TGK2-E1] from Kaluga [Russian Republic / Soviet Union]). And these types were delivered in clearly larger amounts...
Juup wrote:I am considering using it to pull electric locos across a non-electrified transfer table.
That's what they've usually been used for—though not in West Germany (at least in your era). There are very few turntables and transfer tables, respectively, having more catenary than necessary to enter it from the main access tracks.
But there's something, you'll have to consider. You'll need to lower the pantograph while moving on the turntable or transfer table or on tracks without overhead wiring. Several years ago, I read that Märklin offered models with a DCC controlled Piezomotor moving the pantograph up and down. But I don't know if it's still offered and if this system is available for installation into other (e. g. TT scale) models, respectively.
But it would be an absolutely cool function... :dance:
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!

TiTan downunder

Post by TiTan downunder » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:29 pm

Just a quick question - can someone please give me the wheel size and wheelbase of the Hornby/Arnold Akkulok.

Thanks Ian

Return to “Hornby - Arnold TT Scale Models”