Hornby-Arnold HN9013 battery shunter ASF 1, DR Raw Dresden

Rich B

Hornby-Arnold HN9013 battery shunter ASF 1, DR Raw Dresden

Post by Rich B » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:18 pm

DCC Ready (NEM 651, 6 pin)

No extra detailing parts need fitting. Runs quietly, though starts a little jerkily sometimes. Not as low geared as it could be, it's a quick as my Modist 212!

The bottom of the ends splay out a little, I reduced it a bit by leaving the model for a couple of days with elastic bands wrapped round it!

Doesn't seem like a lot of model for the money, but to me it looks the part.

Juup

Re: Hornby-Arnold HN9013 battery shunter ASF 1, DR Raw Dresd

Post by Juup » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:52 am

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the mini review. Useful!! Does it couple up with the new Tillig KKK coupler?

Juup

Using Tapatalk 2

Rich B

Post by Rich B » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:40 am

Answers to questions...

Yes, it couples to the new style TT coupling, though is prone to uncoupling on rough track... so that's half my layout :lol: Yes, it's got lights. :thumbup:

Cheers!

Juup

Post by Juup » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:17 pm

Likewise thanks for the answer. Next question ... how might it be used to 'simulate' pulling a bigger locomotive over a transfer table? That was what these were used for, or did I get that wrong? Perhaps with a DCC consist?

Using Tapatalk 2

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:35 pm

Juup wrote:how might it be used to 'simulate' pulling a bigger locomotive over a transfer table?
With the bigger locomotive pushing it.
:wave:

Rich B

Post by Rich B » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:03 am

I thought that powering the bigger lok might be the best solution. If using DCC, you could match the low end of the speed curves.

As well as depot use, ASFs have seen use in industrial locations, so should you have a factory, you could use one. I've found it will cope with five two-axle wagons

LVG1

Post by LVG1 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:22 am

Juup wrote:... how might it be used to 'simulate' pulling a bigger locomotive over a transfer table? That was what these were used for, or did I get that wrong?
Rich B wrote:As well as depot use, ASFs have seen use in industrial locations, so should you have a factory, you could use one. I've found it will cope with five two-axle wagons
They are mainly used in depots and repair shops. Their main tasks are switching electric locomotives in non-electrified areas (mainly turntables and transfer tables and the tracks reachable via them) and moving vehicles being under repair, sometimes also freight cars with replacement parts.
I saw most ASF's in the central repair facilities of a lignite mining railroad.

But I've never heard of them switching "payload". So using them at factories or something like that may be a very rare event...

"...five two-axle wagons"
Wow! :!:
The prototype is simply too light to gain enough friction for pulling heavy loads. I've never heard of them pulling more then one (or extremely seldom two light) vehicle(s)...
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!

Rich B

Post by Rich B » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:30 pm

Several are listed as going to Industrial service- see http://home.arcor.de/akkuschlepper/liefer.htm. There's more detail from the same site at http://home.arcor.de/akkuschlepper/statbet.htm

I know I've seen pictures of one shunting the ironworks in Thale, blowed if I can find it now!

dileTTante

Post by dileTTante » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:31 pm

Maybe a good way to use the ASF is operating on its own in a small display for train shows, like a European version of CNTT's GuiTTar. Some industrial setting or for switching dummy locomotives. Myself, I found the ASF immediately attractive but had no use for it, until I just thought of this.
-Terry C.

j p

Post by j p » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:58 pm

Christtking wrote:OK! This is my opinion. If used as a model in front of another model, obviously the bigger (longer) model will always be stronger and the shunter (tractor) will never be syncronized with bigger model. Will never have the same speed unless used with a Tillig DR version of V100/BR 110 etc, or former MODIST DB V100/BR 211,212 etc since they are kind of slow and will prevent derailment. I strongly think that this model should not be powered unless it is run by itself or with some slow axx model behind it. I've purchased a shell from SHAPEWAYS and I will try to make my own "dummy". The model it is very beautiful, maybe worth every penny, but in my opinion wrong application (use). I don't want to buy a RTR model either and disassemble the motor and the gears either. There has to be another solution. Maybe the company can offer "dummy"versions, also.
I don't think that this little switcher is pushed by the big locomotives on the real railroad. It is the switcher pulling the big locomotives in the depot. It can pull any dummy locomotive as a model.
And, there is a solution. All you need is DR BR 250s or BR 119s. BTTB made them with drive only on two axles and that is bad. You can swap the trucks and make one BR 250 with drive on 4 axles and one BR 250 dummy. Similar with BR 119. If you use steam locomotives, it can be used for switching most of the big German locomotives in the depot. Just disconnect the tender. Those engines are made as dummy and their drive is in the tender.

Return to “Hornby - Arnold TT Scale Models”