Arnold BR 251/171

Rich B

Arnold BR 251/171

Post by Rich B »

I know the initial models are as follows:

HN9015 E251 009 DR green Epoch III
HN9016 171 005 DBAG orient red Epoch V
HN9017 171 013 DBAG traffic red Epoch V

Is anyone aware of any shop exclusives? I'm particularly keen to get Epoch IV red locos- the period isn't covered at all by the initial releases.

MacG

Re: Arnold BR 251/171

Post by MacG »

I know of no shop exclusives of this model.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

Im sure they will release that version at some point. Its the one they'll sell the most of.

Sent using Tapatalk - now Free
:wave:

Rich B

Post by Rich B »

ConducTTor wrote:Im sure they will release that version at some point. Its the one they'll sell the most of.
I would think so. This makes it all the stranger to me that it isn't amongst the initial releases!

j p

Post by j p »

Rich B wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:Im sure they will release that version at some point. Its the one they'll sell the most of.
I would think so. This makes it all the stranger to me that it isn't amongst the initial releases!
This is a perfect marketing strategy. They make the other versions first, people buy one of them and next year they make the red version - and people buy one more!
If they made the red version first, many people would buy only one model.

Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I've had one for a while, I really should post some picture. Running is good on DC and DCC with a Kuehn decoder - the interface is Next18. There's a bit of poor design in that you have to unscrew the circuit board to plug in the decoder. The tail lights are independently switched. The handrails are moulded, the ones by the door look fine but the front one looks a bit like a shelf! The misproportions of the Rivarossi H0 model have been corrected, and handrails aside it looks very nice indeed. Fitting the detail parts is not that easy, the cabside steps don't quite fit their mounts so require trimming, and the snowplough needs the wires of the grab handles below the buffers bending out of the way. I haven't got digital scales to tell you the exact weight, but from my kitchen ones I'd estimate 165-170 grams. Kuehn style couplings are supplied - with the Next18 interface, I wonder if Kuehn have been advising Hornby. Lettering is finely printed and legible.

Last edited by Rich B on Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Top speed is rather quick, I've had to program CV 5 to 60 to get it down to a scale 80kph top speed.

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

One small gripe for an otherwise fine model - the flywheels are bit on the anemic side (like Piko). It's not a big deal but big flywheels really make a difference when it comes to butter smooth running. Having said that, I have no regrets in buying the model.
:wave:

Return to “Hornby - Arnold TT Scale Models”