Re: Whitcomb 65T centre cab

Post by ConducTTor » Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:10 pm

Carsten wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:14 amCurrently not available
Doesn't MTB make that model as well?
:wave:

Bigelov

Post by Bigelov » Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:01 am

Yes, Tillig and MTB make a similar machine.

Tillig: V75 / T435 / CHME2 (many paint schemes!)
MTB: T458 (later version of the T435)

It has a wide cab at one end, with frame and PC board full width in that area, so would be difficult to adapt. The bogie wheelbase is even larger than the V100 - 2400mm vs 2300mm. I have the Russian CHME2 Tillig version to compare, but not the V100.
Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

Carsten

Post by Carsten » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:53 am

Bigelov wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:32 pm
  • Chassis length and width
105,3mm without buffers / 25,8mm
  • Height, length and width of motor/pc board section that the body needs to fit over
16mm / 90,5mm / 20mm (plus 1,5mm on one side with place for the decoder within the cab)
It looks like the V100 is about 500mm higher than the Whitcomb, so that may affect things also.
inside 27,5mm above rails

Bigelov

Post by Bigelov » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:46 pm

Thanks for those dimensions Carsten!

I have drawn up the V100 as per those dimensions, and superimposed it with the Whitcomb drawing I had started. The results are not encouraging:
65T-V100.jpg
65T_Elevations.jpg
You can see the bounding box of the V100 in transparent grey, with the green Whitcomb body much smaller in most elevations. The second image shows the key dimensions.
Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

TiTan downunder

Post by TiTan downunder » Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:56 am

Length is not an issue as the Tillig chassis is about 4mm shorter at each end than the body, as the inside of the body ends is taken up by the prism reflectors for the lights.
The main problem is that the Whitcomb tapers both down from the cab to the nose, but also tapers in as the hood sides rise.
In a rough, very rough, mock-up I made the only problem with fit was due to the PC board being too wide.
The chassis would probably need some filing especially towards the top of the 4 x posts that the PC board rests on.
I guess it would also depend on how thick any 3D printed body would have to be .

Ian

Carsten

Post by Carsten » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:13 am

Excuse me, the width of 20mm (21,5mm) is only inside the Cab on a length of 17,5mm. Inside the hoods is the width only 13,5mm.

Bigelov

Post by Bigelov » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:33 am

Hi Carsten, thank s for the update. I thought it looked rather wide.

As Ian is a 'local' (only 3 hours away!) he was kind enough to post down his V100 for me to play with. It looks like the PC board is too wide still, but still to make further measurements. Expect updates!
Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

Bigelov

Post by Bigelov » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:25 am

I have measured up the original V100 from Ian and taken a closer look at how the to-scale cab and hood fits.
65tv3.jpg
You can see the PC board (blue), mount posts (grey) and motor (yellow) all interfering with the 'to scale' Whitcomb body. There are also thin covers above the couplers that interfere with the ends of the hoods. The motor extends 0.6mm beyond the hood, with the counterweights slightly smaller in diameter. The PC board is 0.9mm outside.

I am inclined to remove the PC board as the width is too great. It would be easy enough to wire the loco for DC. For DCC you could use a pre-wired decoder. Lights would be additional, but mount points for headlights could be built into the hoods (3mm LED's?) .

I am also inclined to make the whole body oversized. Maybe more in width than in height, but also in length. That would enclose the motor, and it may not be necessary to file the posts down to clear the inside of the hoods. It would also allow integral body mount pins to fit in the slots where the original body was mounted. An over-long hood would also reduce or eliminate the problem of NEM coupler covers. The covers could be to be trimmed down if necessary.

The V100 chassis is wider than the Witcomb, so the difference wouldn't be as pronounced with the overscaled body. The cab should overhang the side of the chassis...

This would mean that the body is not scaled perfectly, but it should be an easy enough conversion to make a decent representation of the Whitcomb 65ton loco. I haven't really looked at bogies or fuel/air tanks yet, but they should be pretty accurate.
Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

Carsten

Post by Carsten » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:17 am

Well done!
Bigelov wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:25 am There are also thin covers above the couplers that interfere with the ends of the hoods.
They can be removed. You don't need these couplers.
I am inclined to remove the PC board as the width is too great. It would be easy enough to wire the loco for DC.
I agree.
I am also inclined to make the whole body oversized.
I agree too.

Bigelov

Post by Bigelov » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:29 pm

I have drawn up the hoods and cab to clear the V100 insides as mentioned in my last post.

Here are some comparisons from the drawing.
65tv4elevations.jpg
65tv4iso.jpg
With the enlarged body it fits nicely over the cab mount lugs and has the cab to the edge of the chassis. That looks much better. The difference in height and length is not really noticeable, but the width is obviously out of scale. But to clear the insides, especially the motor, I have had to make it that wide. Comments or thoughts anyone?

When happy with this I will do a test print or two to make sure it does clear everything, and then start on detailing, then bogies and underbody detail.
Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

Return to “Prototypes / Models”