Canadian PS-1 look-a-likes

rdikken

Canadian PS-1 look-a-likes

Post by rdikken »

Hi US TT Fans,
Things are not easy when you try to create a Canadian PS-1 look-a-like. They look like a PS-1, but there are always differences. And living in the Netherlands not able to visit a museum does not make it easy. Perhaps you can help me here.

In the pictures you will find nsc-3 end. My question to you, if you straighten the ps-1 end after the 9th rib would that be enough to look like a nsc-3 end? We are talking about a welded ps-1 end produced after 1954.

The nsc-style roof. Looks the ps-1 roof produced after 1950, model B, enough to the nsc style roof?

And now car CN545480 with an 8 ft Youngstown door. If only the nsc-3 is added to a ps-1 model, would that be enough to create accepted look-a-like? Or is more needed? Are there more other different cars to be used. (This car is a range of 1000 pcs.)

Ciao,
Rob
Attachments
cn545480.jpg
nsc-3 end.jpg
nsc roof.jpg

TheKnighTT

Re: Canadian PS-1 look-a-likes

Post by TheKnighTT »

Railroad Model Craftsman did some articles on Canadian 40' boxcars. CN was done in August and 93 and February 94. CP was done in October 94 and March 95. Did MacG by any chance acquire those issues recently?

I am too new to the hobby to give an answer to your question.

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

In general I would stay away from lookalikes if possible. Obviously freelance stuff sells but why not keep TT pure? Maybe others will disagree with me and that's cool.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.

MacG

Post by MacG »

I take a look at my Railroad Modeler Craftsman collection.

Without the look-a-likes, there will be few to no variants for the Canadian routes. And the NSCs don't seem that far removed from the PS-1s to me.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:

dileTTante

Post by dileTTante »

"CN Boxcars a Plenty
November 29, 2020"
https://hudbayrailway.blogspot.com/2020 ... lenty.html
- Terry

rdikken

Post by rdikken »

Thxs Terry.
Some nsc cars look a lot like PS-1 cars. Perhaps Bill has some kit bash experience. I will ask him.

MacG

Post by MacG »

@dileTTante: the blog is about boxcars with the AAR design. The only useful part is the link to CN Lines.

Perhaps one of you has the relevant issues of CN Lines. Unfortunately, I can't help you with the Railroad Model Craftsman. The 90s are a gap in my collection.

rdikken

Post by rdikken »

Ok guys,

After searching in my archives I found the following range of PS-1's, cpaa 89917 till 89958 with 9 ft Pullman Standard doors, see picture. But even more beautiful the cars in the range cpaa 89981 till 89999 with a 9 ft Youngstown flush or plugin door. (Thanks to a "Canadian rail car pictorial" from Bill)
The best part this car is dark green with a yellow door. Picture will follow.

All cars are 50 ft PS-1's.

Now CN, which is more a challenge.

Rob
Attachments
cpaa89917.jpg
cpaa89981.jpg

MacG

Post by MacG »

The first car is out of the series CPAA 89910-89980 and was originally also green. The cars were before privately owned. Leased by Pullman Transport Leasing to Spruce Falls Power & Paper Company from Ontario. I like the original paint scheme. It would be a novelty if a privately owned car is mass-produced as a model.

For the CN, I guess that leaves only the CNA 50ft boxcars you have already found, from the series 794300-794416. These ex-GTW cars were acquired in 1974. The A in CNA marks American-built cars.

TiTan downunder

Post by TiTan downunder »

Those Craftsman articles are split into 2 groups. March '93 is primarily a prototype article on the CN 1937 AAR cars and the Feb '94 is on modelling those cars. The October '94 is prototype date on the CP 40' boxcar fleet and the March '95 is on modelling them. Of course, both model articles are based on HO scale models, then currently available.
RMC 8-93 pg 1.jpg
RMC 2-94 pg 1.jpg
RMC 10-94 pg 1.jpg
RMC 10-94 pg 1.jpg
RMC 3-95 pg 1.jpg
Ian

Return to “Prototypes / Models”