HP products casted parts

Murad

HP products casted parts

Post by Murad »

Hi everybody!
I have a few hp casted parts. Could you help me to identify them? I have a big steaner on my workbench fight now and wish to add some details )
Attachments
IMG-20200213-WA0005.jpg
WTB any of the HP Products locomotive parts

areibel

Re: HP products casted parts

Post by areibel »

Sure!
The top row is driver springs, they mount on top of the frame between the drivers to add detail. Usually there's only one or two.
Second row, I can't tell what the first thing is. second is an air brake tank for under a freight car or tender, next is a lubricator and then another spring set. The lubricator mounts on top of the frame usually right behind the cylinders.
Third row is an articulated headlight, then another air brake tank and an air brake cylinder then two feedwater heaters, they mount on top of the boiler ahead of the smokestack on the big engines.
The little piece between row 3 and 4 is a turbo generator, it mounts on the top of the boiler just ahead of the cab.
I don't know about row 4, I don't recognize them as HP parts?
Row 5 are different air brake parts for under freight cars or tenders.
And at the bottom are reversers, they mount on the right side of the boiler below the running board (there's a hole there for them to mount to)

Murad

Post by Murad »

areibel wrote:Sure!
The top row is driver springs, they mount on top of the frame between the drivers to add detail. Usually there's only one or two.
Second row, I can't tell what the first thing is. second is an air brake tank for under a freight car or tender, next is a lubricator and then another spring set. The lubricator mounts on top of the frame usually right behind the cylinders.
Third row is an articulated headlight, then another air brake tank and an air brake cylinder then two feedwater heaters, they mount on top of the boiler ahead of the smokestack on the big engines.
The little piece between row 3 and 4 is a turbo generator, it mounts on the top of the boiler just ahead of the cab.
I don't know about row 4, I don't recognize them as HP parts?
Row 5 are different air brake parts for under freight cars or tenders.
And at the bottom are reversers, they mount on the right side of the boiler below the running board (there's a hole there for them to mount to)
Where the headlight goes? On the top or on the front of the boiler?
And lubricator doesn't fit behind the cylinders. It might be HOn3 because it's too wide
WTB any of the HP Products locomotive parts

milwrd1

Post by milwrd1 »

The headlight.....looks slightly to large to be an HP part. The HP headlight casting is a little different. The displayed casting could be an HP headlight for one of the larger locomotives (2-10-4, 4-6-6-4). 3rd row....the first brake cylinder is a HP freight car cylinder / air reservoir, second brake cylinder is a HP tender brake cylinder I believe. Last part - reversing lever- don't believe it is an HP part, the reversing lever in front of / next to it is a HP reversing lever.

areibel

Post by areibel »

I think Ron is right, I've attached a couple pics of an articulated and another loco so you can see where the parts go, and your headlight doesn't look the same. Somewhere in the dungeon I think I have spares, PM me if you need one.
You can see the reverser and the driver springs on the first loco pic, and the feedwater heater in the next and the front of the articulated shows where the headlight goes (on the "front porch") and you can see the feedwater on that too
And Ron, if you read this is that reverser on backwards? it's pointing towards the front of the locomotive, the cab is behind the air tank- John Harmon built that one, did he make a boo boo?
Attachments
020.JPG
007.JPG
017.JPG
018.JPG

milwrd1

Post by milwrd1 »

areibel wrote:
And Ron, if you read this is that reverser on backwards? it's pointing towards the front of the locomotive, the cab is behind the air tank- John Harmon built that one, did he make a boo boo?
Ok, lets backup a minute, concerning the posted list of parts (previous log entry, photo on 2/13/20). I now believe the last 2 items shown are both reversing cylinders / levers. I think the picture shows the same part (there are probably 2 shown), but viewed from 2 different sides.

Is the reverser on the top photo on backwards? I don't think so. Figure 1 of the assembly instructions for the 2-8-2 Mikado and the 4-6-2 Pacific show the installation exactly as shown in the photo. The reverser has to go this way because the mounting pin on the reverser goes in to a mounting hole in the bottom of the body, underneath the running board. Interestingly, the 4-8-2 Mountain drawing does not have a detailed view of the reverse cylinder installation. I only bring up the 4-8-2 Mountain because the 4-6-6-4 was built from a combination of parts from the 2-8-2 Mikado and the 4-8-2 Mountain. As all are aware, the HP articulated locomotives are difficult (to say the least) to build, but the problem is compounded (for the 4-6-6-4) by the mix of the parts from the Mikado and the Mountain and NO instruction sheet :crazy: :crazy:

areibel

Post by areibel »

Thanks Ron!
I wasn't sure, I have a couple engines with it mounted in the opposite direction and they have a wire formed to replicate the linkage, it runs up to the cab. But those are small, 0-6-0's and Atlantics if I remember right.

Do you think some of those other cast brake parts could be Gandy Dancer?

milwrd1

Post by milwrd1 »

areibel wrote:Thanks Ron!
I wasn't sure, I have a couple engines with it mounted in the opposite direction and they have a wire formed to replicate the linkage, it runs up to the cab. But those are small, 0-6-0's and Atlantics if I remember right.

Do you think some of those other cast brake parts could be Gandy Dancer?
Al....Could be. Kemtron also made cast brake parts that were supplied to others if I remember correctly.

Return to “Prototypes / Models”