Santa Fe hoppers

TiTan downunder

Re: Santa Fe hoppers

Post by TiTan downunder »

There are a few " minor discrepancies " with the model.

1/ The side rib at the ends are too shallow and do not allow the left hand side ladder to sit straight.
2/ The 2nd, 3rd and bottom end bracing ribs should all be equal length to allow the end ladder to sit straight.

The rough finish on my painted model, particularly the yellow end, is due to my lousy paint job as I was leaning to adjust to the Tru-color acrylics and after having used Floquil paint for 30+ years.

One other contributing factor is the urethane body. The original master, built in the 80's, has long since gone to the scrapyard due to warping, etc so, all castings done since I resurrected this ancient project some 10 years back have been done from 2nd and 3rd generation 'masters'.

I believe that both BN & DRGW had similar cars

Ian
Photo from Bill Mosteller's " Great Decals " website
Photo from Bill Mosteller's " Great Decals " website

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

TiTan downunder wrote:There are a few " minor discrepancies " with the model.

1/ The side rib at the ends are too shallow and do not allow the left hand side ladder to sit straight.
2/ The 2nd, 3rd and bottom end bracing ribs should all be equal length to allow the end ladder to sit straight.
My solution has been to stick some thin brass and styrene packing strips to the ribs. Hopefully they won't be too noticeable once the model is painted.

j p

Post by j p »

Ian, your photo shows a different type of car :)
I see another minor problem with it. The model is made out of two cast parts. I believe that their length matched on the masters. It is not the same on the kit. If I align them on one end, they get misaligned on the other end.
I think that the best would be to cut the bottom part in two and glue them together again.

Rich1853

Post by Rich1853 »

j p wrote:Ian, your photo shows a different type of car :)
I see another minor problem with it. The model is made out of two cast parts.
I think that the best would be to cut the bottom part in two and glue them together again.
Alignment of the strengthening ribs will be noticeable. First take another photo of the side profile with the bottom view with those ribs touching and align and see where the problem is, maybe one of the two molds shrunk or expanded.
Rich1853
Greetings from Melbourne, Florida USA
On the Space Coast of Florida

j p

Post by j p »

Rich1853 wrote: Alignment of the strengthening ribs will be noticeable. First take another photo of the side profile with the bottom view with those ribs touching and align and see where the problem is, maybe one of the two molds shrunk or expanded.
Yes, it looks like this. Either one of the molds shrunk or expanded or one of the castings shrunk or expanded.
The first picture of Ian's model shows the same problem, so i am probably not alone with it.
I don't know any better way of fixing it. If I cut it in the middle and glue together again, the ends will be aligned and the misalignment in the middle will be only half of the current one.
It is 0.5 - 0.6 mm off now.

TiTan downunder

Post by TiTan downunder »

They are all the same. The only way I could cast this was in two parts, not one as the original master was built. By the time I got back to this there were only a couple of usable castings left to re-make the master using the top half from one casting and bottom half from another casting and this resulted in the rib miss-alignment.

After having had it collect dust for so many years I just decided to live with the problem and get some cars up & running. When running the rake of 8 cars behind a motorised Lionel GP unit on my small exhibition layout most viewers are more interested in it being TT than to notice the faults in the cars.

I have thought about doing a new chassis piece but, with so many other projects "on the bench" I prefer to use what little modeling time I've had lately trying to get something else nearer to completion.

Ian

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

I can certainly live with the discrepancy. It's hardly noticeable unless you're inspecting closely, and as Ian says the average viewer at a show won't notice.

j p

Post by j p »

RodTT wrote:I can certainly live with the discrepancy. It's hardly noticeable unless you're inspecting closely, and as Ian says the average viewer at a show won't notice.
I don't make my models for any average viewer at a show. Do you?
I will try to fix it. It is a nice model.

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

j p wrote:
RodTT wrote:I can certainly live with the discrepancy. It's hardly noticeable unless you're inspecting closely, and as Ian says the average viewer at a show won't notice.
I don't make my models for any average viewer at a show. Do you?
I don't know why I do it sometimes, but mostly I make them for the little man inside my head who at some point tells me it's good enough.

Richard-B

Re: Santa Fe Gondolas [hoppers]

Post by Richard-B »

Richard-B wrote: decals... let me take a look.
Here are some ATSF heralds to help with the Ga-152 models.

Below is a PDF of the complete 6ft TT-scale ATSF herald for the GA-152... and an 'exploded' 3-part version, with tapered wings to allow conformance over the deep ribs of the TiTan TT model. These decals should allow the yellow-painted background to show through the clear decal film. There are tiny guide marks to allow alignment with the ribs... these should be removed before over-coating the decal.

An alternative application is to paint the rib sides black, and just trim the two rounded sides at the guide marks, fitting them flush to the rib. The "T" could remain un-trimmed, as the edges of the letter hang over the edge slightly.

Note that this artwork is 200%... so the PDF can be printed at 50% on any printer using appropriate decal paper.
SantaFe Ga-152_herald_r1.pdf
Ga 152 Herald 200pct
(177.66 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Ga 152 Heralds
Ga 152 Heralds
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...

Return to “Prototypes / Models”