Lionel conversions

MacG

Re: Lionel conversions

Post by MacG »

You can use the 3D printed side frames from ConducTTor. They are clip-on. The bottom of the trucks must be removed beforehand.

Or you can use the Lionel side frames. I removed everything but the two side frames. Then blocks are glued to the lugs of the trucks. The blocks are the adapters to fix the vertical side frames to the horizontal lugs. You may need to shorten the tabs a little beforehand. Outside on the blocks, the side frames are glued.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

MacG wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:55 pm
The chassis does not actually fall out.
It does. Absolutely.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

ConducTTor wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:44 pm
MacG wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:55 pm
The chassis does not actually fall out.
It does. Absolutely.
Sounds like the voice of experience there...

MacG

Post by MacG »

I can't share this experience. And I had many of the models at our exhibitions in my hands.

Besides the above-mentioned possibilities, you could widen the chassis with tape or some solder.

I'll sit down with Mike to see if we can offer possibly some etched parts in the future to fix the chassis with the couplers.

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

I think mine will probably be tight enough as I've folded some Kapton tape round the ends, chiefly to make sure the chassis is insulated from the LED wires but with the result that the chassis is quite a tight press fit.

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

I've actually thought about an elegant solution to keep the chassis attached to the shell. I've sort of come up with something in my head but haven't had the chance to try it out. Whenever I do, I'll share (if it works lol).
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

P1050961.JPG
P1050960.JPG
So here we are, a Lionel GP9 with Lok-n-Roll chassis. I've fitted it with Kadee 705s and truck sideframes kindly supplied by Ian (TiTan). It's DCC but no sound - but like my other non-sound locos it can be synchronised with two MRC diesel sounders under the layout.
I contemplated making some more realistic-looking fuel tank sides but in the end I just used the original tank cut in two.
I had a nightmare moment when, everything assembled, I ran it with a few freight cars and it kept bobbling or even stopping over my turnouts. As it happened I'd got a small blob of epoxy stuck to the underside of the truck housing, just enough to raise it up when crossing over a turnout rail. Phew!

A question on lights - should the number boards be lit up? Did this depend on company, era or both?

MacG

Post by MacG »

You have done a nice job. :thumbup:

In general today the number boards light up at the prototypes did at dusk, night, dawn, and gloomy weather.

Through the 1950s and 1970s (or even in a longer period) the leading number boards lit all the time. Day or night. The numbers were used in the track orders or warrants, so the boards were on.

So with the GP9, it's actually right that they light up together with the headlights.

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

Looking at prototype pictures of BM 1723, it looks as if it was repainted in the 1960s or 1970s maybe, to pretty much all blue without the black cab, front and rear. Also, it had those protruding grilles coming out of the roof about halfway down. Would they have been added or is the model just wrong?
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/Locopi ... x?id=59382
(That's not to say I'm going to ruin mine by painting or hacking it).

Bigelov

Post by Bigelov »

Hey Rod,

You are doing great work converting all these static models to runners, keep it up and keep letting us know all those trials (and successes) along the way!

Those blisters on the sides, with grilles on them are part of the dynamic braking system. They were an option to have then fitted or not, but I think they are pretty standard now. On those early Geeps I am not sure if there were more with or without. I suspect Lionel just made the non-dynamic brake version shell, and then painted them with the full range of schemes.
Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

Return to “Prototypes / Models”