MacG

Re: Lionel conversions

Post by MacG »

Yes, the bottom of the F3 is metal.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

Onto my third Lionel conversion, this time with a Lok-n-Roll chassis.
P1050920.JPG
I've cut out a rectangle in the plastic frame for a nice snug fit, using a 2mm drill bit, a hacksaw blade and a file. I'd sawn halfway through the fuel tank, thinking it was part of the frame, before realising that it just pulls away. Now I know that, I may actually leave it off and make a more realistic one out of balsa.
Then, when test fitting the chassis, I realised I hadn't allowed room for the worm housings at either end so there's a bit more to cut away.
It doesn't leave much plastic!
I also had to file away the edges of the transparent plastic lens coverings in the body shell to get the chassis to fit.
P1050925.JPG
The chassis runs very smoothly on DC. For those fitting DCC, like I will be, beware that contrary to convention, the grey and orange wires of the chassis are soldered to the truck pickups and the red and black ones go to the motor. So you'll have to solder the grey and orange wires to the black and red ones of your decoder and vice versa.
P1050921.JPG
P1050923.JPG

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

RodTT wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:20 am
Then, when test fitting the chassis, I realised I hadn't allowed room for the worm housings at either end so there's a bit more to cut away.
I also had to file away the edges of the transparent plastic lens coverings in the body shell to get the chassis to fit.
It gets tight in there doesn't it lol?
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

ConducTTor wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:49 am
RodTT wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:20 am
It gets tight in there doesn't it lol?
Ah well, I'm there now just about. Time to think about fitting the decoder and lights. I'm assuming there's room for the lighting wires over the top of the chassis.
But they will have to wait because of work and grandchild care over the weekend.

jmass

Post by jmass »

Are the Lok @ rol chassis not coming with directional lights?

MacG

Post by MacG »

The Lok-n-Roll chassis are coming without lights. Only the RTR models have it.

@RodTT: Be careful with wires on the upper side of the chassis. They could get jammed by the Lionel body shell.

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

MacG wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:07 pm
The Lok-n-Roll chassis are coming without lights. Only the RTR models have it.

@RodTT: Be careful with wires on the upper side of the chassis. They could get jammed by the Lionel body shell.
I'm hoping there is room if I carefully tape them lengthwise across the top. Otherwise I don't see how I can fit lights without drilling into the metal, which I'm not keen on doing.

MacG

Post by MacG »

I talked to Mike. Unfortunately, the body shell is also resting onto the middle of the chassis. So you need holes or grooves for the wires The latter could be milled or sawed.

There is another small obstacle for the digitalization. Mike has built-in a capacitor for interference suppression. Unfortunately in such a way that you have to open the chassis to remove it. In the future, he will install it so that it can be reached from above.

Red and black are no wires, it is shrink tubing at the connecting wires from the capacitor. The capacitor was connected to both motor contacts from below.

Mike is very talented with the mechanics, but he to be having a hard time with the electrics. Together Mike and I can hopefully improve the electrics of the chassis.

I apologize for the inconvenience of the conversion to digital and adding the lights.

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

Why is the capacitor incompatible with DCC?

MacG

Post by MacG »

It can run well with, but it doesn't have to. Some manufacturers write in the manual that you have to remove the capacitor.

The details are difficult to explain in English, please look there: rmweb.co.uk

Return to “Prototypes / Models”