Lionel conversions

areibel

Re: Lionel conversions

Post by areibel »

Very well done!

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

Received my second Lionel GP9 from the States today - only took five days to the UK! I went for SP this time.
Of course, that can mean only one thing - another order for Sebnitz! Something to do as the autumn draws in, along with my Siggis hi-cube. Fun or what?

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

Nice write up - thanks man!
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

I am about to start on my second Lionel conversion. This time I'm thinking of installing DCC sound. Can anyone suggest a decent sound decoder, sound project and speaker combination? I'll be doing as I did before, i.e. using the existing Lionel plastic chassis.

MacG

Post by MacG »

I use the discontinued Tsunami-1000 decoder and the sugar cube speaker. I would suggest a wired Econami decoder, but they don't have one anymore. The current Tsunami-1100 is expensive. An alternative is the ESU LokSound 5 micro with a sugar cube speaker (included in delivery).

ESU EMD 16-567C prime mover
ESU EMD 16-567B prime mover

In the UK you can easily buy an ESU LokSound Select micro. In Germany, we have no official dealer for it. But they have different sound files. You have to use the LokSound Select library.

In both cases, you can send the article number of the sound file to the dealer. They will load the sounds into the ordered decoder. Mostly for free.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

Thanks for that.
I also note that Zimo do American sounds, and their decoders are a bit smaller than the Loksound ones. Does anyone have any experience of their sound offerings?

MacG

Post by MacG »

I have no experience with Zimo decoders yet, but they should be good. The time will come when I will also install Zimo. Mainly because they have a sound that the others don't.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

What not to do then you're converting a GP9...break off the handrails! Sticking them back will have to be the last job before weathering. At least it makes the body a bit easier to slide on and off in the meantime.
P1050692.JPG
Apart from that my second conversion is going ok...'heatsink' and Tillig trucks in place. Next job is to fit the motor and gear train and test on DC.
P1050694.JPG

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

Oh man, the handrails are a PITA. I broke so many before I learned my lesson lol.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

As Sir Arthur Streeb-Greebling (aka Peter Cook) said, 'I have learned from my mistakes and I'm confident I can repeat them all exactly'.

Return to “Prototypes / Models”