Lionel conversions

RodTT

Re: Lionel conversions

Post by RodTT »

In the end I bought a Zimo MX648 sound decoder and a sugar cube speaker measuring 15 x 8 x 4.5mm and installed them at either end of the motor. The supplier preloaded the Zimo GP9 sound project for me. It's not particularly loud with this tiny speaker but ok for my small layout room. It could be hard to hear a week on Saturday at my next show.
The factory settings are a bit weird, at least to my mind - a lot of moving with the engine just idling then it seems to kick in almost randomly, and a lot of momentum. And imagine my surprise when I pressed F2 and a steam whistle sounded! But I daresay it will be easy enough to tweak.
I painted the insides of the cab number boards black but the light still shines through them.
I was a bit apprenhensive as this was my first sound installation, but overall I did a neater job than with my first GP9. All the wiring is soldered to the PCB on top of the motor, and everything just squeezes into the narrow body shell.
This time round I used the truck frames sent to me by Ian (Titan), which were an excellent fit apart from having to file quite a lot away from the rear one to clear the back end of the fuel tank.
P1050698.JPG
P1050699.JPG
P1050701.JPG
P1050702.JPG
P1050708.JPG

MacG

Post by MacG »

I think the sugar cube is so quiet because of the closed metal shell and the chassis. A better place for this would be the fuel tank. You can remove some material from the bottom of the chassis and/or from the inside of the tank.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

Oh dear, oh dear.
I dropped my Chessie GP9, the body came flying off, the motor came loose and the handrails broke.
P1050843.JPG
P1050844.JPG
But the good news is - it's reminded me the inside needs tidying up a bit, and the front light needs tweaking so it doesn't leak into the cab. So it's out with the tape and Black-Tack.

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

I've been contemplating a mechanism to secure the body to the chassis. If I come up with something, I'll post.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

My new hi-tech mechanism is a small blob of Black-Tack either side of the cab, which adhere to the chassis when I press down. They are completely invisible from outside.
But when I pick a GP9 up I always try and hold it by the chassis rather than by the body shell. Unfortunately this accident was caused by me knocking the model off the desk with my elbow while trying to work under the layout. I suspect the handrails might have broken anyway, as they are quite brittle.
Still, back to normal now with the added bonus that the lights look a lot better with no leakage into the cab.

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

And luckily the Lionel models are pretty cheap on Ebay. So you can get another one and take the handrails from it. I've done that more than a few times lol.
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

ConducTTor wrote:And luckily the Lionel models are pretty cheap on Ebay. So you can get another one and take the handrails from it. I've done that more than a few times lol.
Only trouble is - postage and import charges to the UK are more than the cost of the loco. The next one will be my last. That's final. Definite. For sure.

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

RodTT wrote:That's final. Definite. For sure.
:lol:

Perhaps get 3?

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

ConducTTor wrote:
RodTT wrote:That's final. Definite. For sure.
:lol:

Perhaps get 3?
Not three exactly, but two. On their way. Apparently they have cleared customs here in the UK only five days after ordering and are out with the courier. Amazing.
Very cheap for the pair. Well, I say pair, one is an F-unit so it doesn't count :wink:

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

Got my Lionels today, only ten days after ordering from the US. The F-unit is actually a very nice model. It's heavier than a GP9, is the chassis metal rather than plastic? I shan't be trying to motorise it but it does make a nice display model. So I just have to decide whether to splash out on motorising the B&M GP9. Hmmm, how will that end up?

Return to “Prototypes / Models”