Lionel conversions

RodTT

Re: Lionel conversions

Post by RodTT »

Got my Lionels today, only ten days after ordering from the US. The F-unit is actually a very nice model. It's heavier than a GP9, is the chassis metal rather than plastic? I shan't be trying to motorise it but it does make a nice display model. So I just have to decide whether to splash out on motorising the B&M GP9. Hmmm, how will that end up?

MacG

Post by MacG »

Yes, the bottom of the F3 is metal.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

Onto my third Lionel conversion, this time with a Lok-n-Roll chassis.
P1050920.JPG
I've cut out a rectangle in the plastic frame for a nice snug fit, using a 2mm drill bit, a hacksaw blade and a file. I'd sawn halfway through the fuel tank, thinking it was part of the frame, before realising that it just pulls away. Now I know that, I may actually leave it off and make a more realistic one out of balsa.
Then, when test fitting the chassis, I realised I hadn't allowed room for the worm housings at either end so there's a bit more to cut away.
It doesn't leave much plastic!
I also had to file away the edges of the transparent plastic lens coverings in the body shell to get the chassis to fit.
P1050925.JPG
The chassis runs very smoothly on DC. For those fitting DCC, like I will be, beware that contrary to convention, the grey and orange wires of the chassis are soldered to the truck pickups and the red and black ones go to the motor. So you'll have to solder the grey and orange wires to the black and red ones of your decoder and vice versa.
P1050921.JPG
P1050923.JPG

Return to “Prototypes / Models”