Foam for model boxes?

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Foam for model boxes?

Post by ConducTTor »

What's a good/cheap foam I can use for box inserts to hold models? Something that will not effect the paint job. TIA
:wave:

areibel

Re: Foam for model boxes?

Post by areibel »

My wife does reupholstery, and she gets chunks of foam from a supply shop near us. It's like $35 for two cubic feet but that will do a couple dozen TT scale models. And I've been lucky enough to get some cut off chunks for free out of their scrap pile if my timing is good. For rough cutting she uses an electric knife, but you can cut the model opening out with an xacto knife. I'm a little paranoid about the foam breaking down and sticking to the model (long term storage), so I use a piece of plastic wrap in the opening before I put the model in, plus with the plastic it's easier to get it back out- grab the edges of the plastic and lift vs. trying to get fingers in and pull it out.
The local place has three or four different stifneses, if you can find a shop near you it's worth a visit, she usually buys the medium stuff which seems like it will work if I ever get my arse in gear! I have two locomotives I've done with probably dozens of other models to go!

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

areibel wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:36 pm My wife does reupholstery, and she gets chunks of foam from a supply shop near us. It's like $35 for two cubic feet but that will do a couple dozen TT scale models. And I've been lucky enough to get some cut off chunks for free out of their scrap pile if my timing is good. For rough cutting she uses an electric knife, but you can cut the model opening out with an xacto knife. I'm a little paranoid about the foam breaking down and sticking to the model (long term storage), so I use a piece of plastic wrap in the opening before I put the model in, plus with the plastic it's easier to get it back out- grab the edges of the plastic and lift vs. trying to get fingers in and pull it out.
The local place has three or four different stifneses, if you can find a shop near you it's worth a visit, she usually buys the medium stuff which seems like it will work if I ever get my arse in gear! I have two locomotives I've done with probably dozens of other models to go!
Thanks Al. Do you have a link to any of this material?

areibel

Post by areibel »

Closest I can find is this stuff, I think.
https://www.amazon.com/Milliard-Upholst ... guide0e-20

There's a ton of it on Amazon, or you could check for an upholsterer or upholstry supply near you. And I think you might be able to get it at Joanne Fabrics or the craft places like Michaels or Hobby Lobby

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

areibel wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:45 pm Closest I can find is this stuff, I think.
https://www.amazon.com/Milliard-Upholst ... guide0e-20

There's a ton of it on Amazon, or you could check for an upholsterer or upholstry supply near you. And I think you might be able to get it at Joanne Fabrics or the craft places like Michaels or Hobby Lobby
Cool thanks. Yeah I've been scouring Amazon for foam. I guess my main issue is narvosa about certain foams potentially containing chemicals that would damage paint over time. And not knowing which foams would do that. Or am I completely mental and I shouldn't worry about it?

areibel

Post by areibel »

I hear you! Back when I was bigger into HO I had a couple brass locomotives I bought sight unseen ( pre-Ebay). I got them and the foam in both boxes was deteriorating and kinda glued itself to the models. It made a heck of a mess and left some nasty looking stains on the brass, luckily it hadn't actually caused any serious damage. that's what started me with the plastic wrap in the box first before the model

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

areibel wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:28 pm that's what started me with the plastic wrap in the box first before the model
Hmmm...ok. What sort of plastic wrap do you use? Because again, concerned with chemicals ruining paint over time. Or maybe it's better to use some sort of paper?

areibel

Post by areibel »

I just use regular kitchen Saran Wrap or similar, I figure it's ok for food it should be ok for models

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

areibel wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:06 am I just use regular kitchen Saran Wrap or similar, I figure it's ok for food it should be ok for models
Ha! Cool - thanks man :thumbup:

Rich1853

Post by Rich1853 »

I used some kind of rigid foam that was used to ship avionics gauges to get recertified back in the mid 80s. It had a multi point star shape opening in the center of 6x6 square 2 inches thick. I used it to protect my model airplanes going to shows, just used a razor knife to cut out the cockpit, wing, tail, and landing gear areas. I have them vertically stack in boxes, still in storage.

No damage to any of the airbrushed camouflage paint
after 35 years
Last edited by Rich1853 on Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rich1853
Greetings from Melbourne, Florida USA
On the Space Coast of Florida

Return to “General Discussion”