AstroGoat and CaTTwoman's 2020 TT Scale Resolutions

AstroGoat760

AstroGoat and CaTTwoman's 2020 TT Scale Resolutions

Post by AstroGoat760 »

With just over a month left to the beginning of 2020, the time has come for the listing of the 2020 TT Scale Resolutions of the Possum Central Railway, which consists of CaTTwoman281, TTerry177, and myself, as well as my daughter, Linda.

Traditionally, we have done 5 resolutions for a given year, but I feel that with the success of the prior few years, as well as the build-up for the 2020 National Train Show (and all the work that goes into such a build-up), six would be more appropriate, as it would help cover items needed for the 2020 NTS.

And without further ado, here is the provisional list:

Status Report: 13Smarch2020
1.) TT Scale Displays xx/02
2.) TT Scale Locomotives xx/06
3.) TT Scale Figures xx/120
4.) TT Scale Modules xx/04
5.) TT Scale Structures xx/12
6.) TT Scale MOW Equipment xx/12

Regarding item 1, "Display" refers to a train show Display, regardless of being 1, 2, or more days long.
Regarding item 2, Locomotives must be, in end-result, North American prototype, and can be scratchbuilt, kit-build, kit-bashed, restoration/refurbishment/refit (3R) or new construction purchase.
Regarding item 3, figures can include people, and animals, but cannot be of inanimate objects.
Regarding item 4, modules must interlink to one another.
Regarding item 5, structures must be of North American Prototype
Regarding item 6, items must be of North American Proto, and do not necessarily have to move on rails exclusively (think TrackMobile, or Evans Road Railer as examples).

Inputs and constructive comments would be most appreciated.
Life is short, play with TT Scale Trains!

AstroGoat760

Re: AstroGoat and CaTTwoman's 2020 TT Scale Resolutions

Post by AstroGoat760 »

Well, 2020 is a few hours away (for my time zone, anyways), and we are starting to get things in order to make progress on the 2020 TT Scale Resolutions. I do have work tonight, overnight, so I will not get to it until tomorrow afternoon.

Regarding displays, we may end up doing 4-6 displays, based on the number of invites that the Possum Central Railroad has obtained just recently to display. Although one of the invites will be turned down due to "differences of opinion" with some of the group that sponsors the show and the Possum Central Railroad.

The show in question is the one in Fargo, ND in October, 2020. The reason for declining the invite is due to some hostility felt by some of the Fargo club staff, especially in how the Fargo club refused to include pictures of the Possum Central Railway in their publications regarding the annual Fargo show. They made sure to use one of my videos of the show walkaround for their club, but refused to take or use photos of our display in general. I hate feeling this way about a model railroad club, where I will not go to their show(s), but that is how I feel at this time.

That said, we may most likely be returning to Sioux Falls, SD and Minneapolis, MN for displays in 2020, both clubs have at least 2 shows a year as well, so we well see how it goes. Then there is the local model train show here in Bemidji, MN (in April, 2020), and the NTS in St. Louis as well.

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

Here is a short list of TT Scale locomotives being worked on right now on my work bench as part of the 2020 Resolutions. Not all will see completion right away due to parts issues needing resolving (one of my parts boxes is still in storage).

HP Products 0-6-0 with standard tender
HP Products 0-6-0 with undetermined tender (needs to be built)
HP Products 0-6-0 with missing rods
HP Products 0-8-0
HP Products 2-8-2 (small), with custom Canadian-style cab. Likely to be completed as a Canadian Pacific model.
HP Products 4-6-2
HP Products 2-8-2
HP Products 4-8-2
HP Products 4-6-6-4, needs tender.
HP Products E-7A

4x MTB SW 1200

Kemtron 0-4-0 Docksider

Again, not all will be done this year, but I will aim to get most done in time for the 2020 NTS.

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

Sorry about the lack of progress, I have been working every day since New Year's Eve. I finally got my railcar bin opened to pull out some MOW equipment worked on. I selected a quartet of HP Products cabooses that need knuckle couplers added to them, whilst one needs some roof work, and two need paint. Lo and behold, I have misplaced both of my Kadee #702 jigs that I need to assemble couplers (well, not need, but would like to use because of the reduced effort in assembling the couplers). So, that work will be put off until either I find those jigs (I like making the couplers up in pairs), or I order a new pair.

Further on the MOW side of things, a pair of 12 axle packs of Z scale 33" wheel sets showed up today. These, with spacers added to the axle centers make for wheels that are just over 18" in TT Scale, which is close enough for my taste for speeder cars and many hand cars, as most of those use wheels in the range of 15" to 20" wheels. I am also considering trying my hand at a Sperry Rail Testing Car in TT Scale this year, if things go well, either static or motive, time will tell on that one...

I am close to being done on a couple of HP locos, I just need to add paint and couplers to them, with decals coming later.

MacG

Post by MacG »

Nice list and it is a lot to do! :wink:

I will also build a Sperry Rail Testing Car. Based on the model of a Mack FCD Railbus from Taxari.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

MacG wrote:Nice list and it is a lot to do! :wink:

I will also build a Sperry Rail Testing Car. Based on the model of a Mack FCD Railbus from Taxari.
Part of why I come up with these "resolutions" is to incentivize and motivate myself to do more in TT Scale.

As far as locomotives are concerned, I do not need to buy anything to complete the resolution, aside from paint and decals, and maybe a few parts here and there.

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

After talking with the local model train club about the upcoming show, they would like us to have a more complex layout than what we have been displaying at shows for the past few years (not that I blame them), but the space needed for our in-progress big layout is not available, so we will be building a new 3.5' or 4' by 6' layout to make use of the Keuhn starter sets that we have on hand, as well as to avoid using (or needing to use) the Keuhn R1 radius track, which helps with motive power flexibility.

More on that in the coming weeks...

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

Status Report: 10January2020
3.) TT Scale Figures 24/120
6.) TT Scale MOW Equipment xx/12

Nicholle gave me part of my "late" Christmas presents, as she misplaced where she put them earlier last year:
20200110_200217.jpg
She said that there are something like 4-7 other packs left that have to be located, that I was supposed to get along with a box of small parts she located online as well.

Here are the Z scale axles that will be adjusted to fit 12mm rails for the MOW equipment:
20200110_200307.jpg

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

Progress on the locomotive side:

Here is a HP Products 4-6-2 being refit: it runs smooth now, and just needs repaint, a bit of tender work, and some detail parts added, including a cab.
20200112_195755.jpg
Here is a modified HP Products light 2-8-2, with a Canadian-style cab. The big issues for this project include the absence of a complete motor, and the tight clearance between the motor brush springs and the rear truck. Using a spare motor, it works fine until it reaches a curve, then the brush springs contact the metal truck frame and the loco shorts out and stops. I am thinking of either converting it to a light consolidation (2-8-0) or replacing the outside frame rear truck with an inside frame rear truck which would allow the loco to retain the light Mikado configuration and still be able to run satisfactorily.
20200112_195846.jpg

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

Status Report: 15January2020
3.) TT Scale Figures 24/120
6.) TT Scale MOW Equipment 02/12

A pair of cabooses were fitted with new trucks on one and couplers on both:
20200115_115510.jpg
20200115_115521.jpg

Return to “General Discussion”