Is there a market for US TT?

RodTT

Re: Is there a market for US TT?

Post by RodTT »

ConducTTor wrote: Someone mentioned crowdfunding earlier.
That was me but the idea didn't seem to be going down too well.
RDCs aren't really my kind of thing but it would be great if Rapido got interested. The prices don't seem too out of line with MRPs from other manufacturers.

CFRiad

Post by CFRiad »

dileTTante wrote:[H]is skills would be useful here. So I volunteer him, too.
Thank you. I now have a moonlighting job I didn't know I wanted. Yay!?

CFRiad

Post by CFRiad »

CSD wrote:Crowd funding is a good approach. [...] The best thing is it takes the debate out of it.
Yup, this will show who actually is willing to put their money where their mouth is.
ConducTTor wrote:Anyone interested in a RDC?
Yes.The BC Rail/PGER livery is a must, though. Look up Cariboo Dayliner. The model could also come in a dummy variant to allow for cheaper multiple unit trains.

dileTTante

Post by dileTTante »

RodTT wrote:
ConducTTor wrote: Someone mentioned crowdfunding earlier.
That was me but the idea didn't seem to be going down too well.
Crowd funding, group buys, and pre-ordering get the models into the hands of interested modelers like TT Nuts, but not into the hands of new modelers. We could run a RDC at a train show, but no one else could buy one.

Seeing on Rapido's web site that they produce only by pre-ordering, I thought this wouldn't be the way to expand interest in TT scale. However, Rapido appears to have a very large dealer network which along with their website can reach a potential market for TT worldwide.

Another possible snag -- Rapido's RDCs are HO and point of pride seems to be a fully visible interior and no visible motor. I don't know how this could be achieved in TT scale. Rapido offers no RDC in N scale, maybe for the same reason.
CFRiad wrote:I now have a moonlighting job I didn't know I wanted. Yay!?
"but be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em."
-Shakespeare

Tom Dempsey

Post by Tom Dempsey »

This is the way higher end models come to market in O Scale (SCALE not GAUGE) and a quick trip through their forums will illuminate how much rancor and disappointment the business model produces. I remember how unhappily the Russian SD-45 etch importation program went for me personally.

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Is there a market for US TT?

Post by ConducTTor »

Yup the HO RDC is all see through. This would be unlikely in TT. That's a basic problem with size that there is no way around. Take a look at all the Kres rail cars. They are mostly see through but not completely.

Starting the conversation with "X livery is a must" is a non starter. We will never agree on one.

Best way to go about it is choose the most popular variant of RDC and have it produced as undec or better yet as Bernd suggested, all aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

As for getting new modelers into the scale, I think as much as we want to do it, we're putting the cart ahead of the horse. There needs to first be a critical mass of models. We get stuff produced for ourselves (and maybe a few newbies that we snag along the way). Eventually it will be easier to get new people in as we can show that new models come out somewhat regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.

TinGoat

Post by TinGoat »

I don't have any skin in this but I'm willing to share my thoughts freely.

Have any of you heard of the ill fated Railflyer Model Prototypes?

The concept was pretty good but the execution left a lot to be desired...

Anyway, the idea was to start with a couple of blank long and short hoods and a variety of doors, hatches and fans....

A couple of cab variations too.

Follow a "recipe" of detail parts to make just about any EMD locomotive you desire.

A blank hood would be easy to assemble or 3D print and you could sand it smooth before adding any details so you don't have to worry about 3D print resolution.

All the details would be etched or cast in resin.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Happy Railroadin'
The Tin Goat
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Overlooking Fairbank on the Toronto Belt Line
Ontario, Dominion of Canada
====
The Ontario Narrow Gauge Show:
http://www.narrowgaugeontario.com
====
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog:
http://humbervalleysimcoerailway.blogspot.com/
====
"Do you mind being apathetic?"

railtwister

Post by railtwister »

Why is everyone so obsessed with the body shell for a new locomotive, when there is no decent quality drive system to put it on? The TT_IMS group over on Yahoo Groups produced a resin GP38 shell, whatever happened to plans for the drive for that?

What is needed first is a good set of trucks with quality wheels, gears, good electrical pickup system, correct wheelbase, & changeable sideframes. Until a decent drivetrain exists, beautiful body shells are of little use. Hacking up a currently available mediocre European drive to “sort of” fit a US profile body is not a realistic solution. Personally, I would love to see a Rapido built TT scale Budd RDC, but realistically, that is not the answer either, because it has such limited appeal (as if TT scale isn’t limited enough). An EMD F unit (plus F’s have the added advantage of not needing fragile & difficult to make handrails), GP, or SD would have more universal appeal, Alco, GE, FM & Baldwin, slightly less. Really, how many railroads actually had RDC’s?

Bill in FtL

TinGoat

Post by TinGoat »

railtwister wrote:Why is everyone so obsessed with the body shell for a new locomotive, when there is no decent quality drive system to put it on?

Bill in FtL
That's where a North American built and distributed Hollywood Foundry BullAnt type mechanism would come in...

The design is very modular and flexible.

Instead of a locomotive specific chassis you can have something that can be adapted/adjusted to fit anything.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Happy Railroadin'
The Tin Goat
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Overlooking Fairbank on the Toronto Belt Line
Ontario, Dominion of Canada
====
The Ontario Narrow Gauge Show:
http://www.narrowgaugeontario.com
====
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog:
http://humbervalleysimcoerailway.blogspot.com/