Is there a market for US TT?

dileTTante

Re: Is there a market for US TT?

Post by dileTTante »

Tom Dempsey wrote:It's foolhardy at best to place much credence in what folks at train shows assure you will sell like hotcakes. Of course they're very interested in TT, they're very interested in everything at the train show, sort of why they came. What people tell you they'll buy for sure, and what they actually part with the bucks for are frequently considerably different. One of the biggest and costliest lessons of my first five years in the business.
Were you actually trying to sell TT at train shows? And what sort of TT were you offering?
- Terry C

Tom Dempsey

Post by Tom Dempsey »

[/quote]Were you actually trying to sell TT at train shows? And what sort of TT were you offering?
- Terry C[/quote]

Kathy and I pack TT Scale product to every show we go to. A quick perusal of my website will answer your second question.

dileTTante

Post by dileTTante »

Tom Dempsey wrote:Kathy and I pack TT Scale product to every show we go to. A quick perusal of my website will answer your second question.
Please excuse my ignorance. There is no direct way to know that Cloverhouse is your website. I resorted to searching the internet which brought up a post on TTNut in which Richard Brennan referred to you and Cloverhouse. I should have remembered reading that post but it was from a couple years back.

Meanwhile, I'll suggest an alternative to sell in TT rather than a locomotive. Last year we began running on TT Tracks the German inter city sets. First was ICE1 from Tillig, then three cars were added to that set and a second train, ICE3 from Piko was run at the same time. These are popular with visitors. People remarked to each other about riding the trains when visiting Europe. The children like them because they go fast.

Producing and marketing a set for N America, such as Turbotrain, Acela, or the Cascades (or? What do I know?) has some advantages. The models would be simpler to make than a steam locomotive, or even some diesels. The cars are all similar and therefore easier to make a bunch rather than an assortment of freight cars. Sold as a set the models would have just one package to stock and ship. Each set sold would bring in more money than selling just a locomotive and each set would provide instantly a complete train to run.

- Terry C

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

How about an ACS-64 and some Amfleet cars? The ACS-64 is close to Euro design, and the Amfleet cars could see multiple purposes.
Life is short, play with TT Scale Trains!

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

I believe the ACS-64 is based on one of the Euro designs. It should be relatively easy to convert a Tillig model. All you would really need is a new shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.

CFRiad

Post by CFRiad »

AstroGoat760 wrote:The ACS-64 is close to Euro design
ConducTTor wrote:I believe the ACS-64 is based on one of the Euro designs
The Amtrak Cities Sprinter is based on the Siemens EuroSprinter platform. Related models are DB's BR-182, ÖBB's BR-1016/1116/1216, and a bunch of others from around the world. Tillig catalog numbers for the ÖBB machines are 04965 and 04968.

areibel

Post by areibel »

OK, but who is modeling post 2010 Amtrack on the NEC? Caternary and all?

TTTerrific

Post by TTTerrific »

areibel wrote:OK, but who is modeling post 2010 Amtrack on the NEC? Caternary and all?
Not meeeee! :wave:

CFRiad

Post by CFRiad »

I know, I know, saying this is almost a sacrilege. So who else to do it other than an idiot like me. So throw the rotten tomatoes at me.

Due to limited availability of rolling stock models, one approach to modelling TT is too built a generic-ish layout and then run on it whatever is at hand. That's what we do on the TT-Tracks layout. We run European for a few hours. There are 1930's trains with steam locos, ICEs, DB mixed with DR, freight, passenger, the lot. Then we empty the layout and run North American with CN trains along SPs and NYC.

Trains run, we set up operating scenarios, do switching, kids go oohh and aaahhh and we go home happy.

dileTTante

Post by dileTTante »

TTTerrific wrote:
areibel wrote:OK, but who is modeling post 2010 Amtrack on the NEC? Caternary and all?
Not meeeee! :wave:
Apparently someone likes the Acela Express because Bachmann had a model in N which was well reviewed and according to MR magazine included a DCC decoder, for $450, and one in HO which can be bought for $249 - two end units and three cars. Another site priced the HO at $458 and says 'sold out'. Why not in TT?

The Turbotrain was operated by Amtrak and VIA from 1968 to 1980 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UAC_TurboTrain). No catenary, no pantographs. Jason Shron started Rapido Trains with this model. Again, identical end units with identical cars between them.

- Terry C

Return to “General Discussion”