Motors for TT

AstroGoat760

Re: Motors for TT

Post by AstroGoat760 »

Here is "Motor Zero" undergoing testing. Constant power testing has been going on since 1920 on 14May2018. I am trying to decide how long is "enough" to feel confident enough to make use of these motors in my SWs.
IMG_2318.JPG
Life is short, play with TT Scale Trains!

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

The first hour of testing is complete, with the motor being held at 9.65 Volts DC for the time being. The motor casing is slightly warm, as to be expected. The second hour of testing will see how warm it gets at full powerpack Voltage of 17.10 VDC.

Ah, the song of a small motor at a constant speed...

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

About halfway through the second hour of testing:

The casing is warm to the point of being difficult to keep in contact with for over a minute. If I did not know any better, these motors are about, if not a little more "torquey" than the stock MTB motors. Based on how much resistance there is to manually stopping the motor shaft as opposed to the same effect on a MTB motor, from my experience.

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

Hour Two Complete: The motor is very warm to the touch, which may pose a problem for using double-sided tape to fasten the motors down. I feel that some tie wire may be needed, or at least super glue.

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

Hour Three Complete: The motor has cooled nicely after being reduced to 10 VDC. Even at 10 VDC, there is a good bit of torque to the motor as well. It takes a good bit of force to stall the motor whist running at 10 VDC.

The initial verdict:

The sample motor has exceeded expectations for such a low-priced option.
Expect to see the prototype work-up on the MTB SW refit soon.

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

krokodil wrote:
AstroGoat760 wrote:The second hour of testing will see how warm it gets at full powerpack Voltage of 17.10 VDC.

Ah, the song of a small motor at a constant speed...
Do you want to kill your motor? I would not recommend any motor of this size to run on 17 V. Where did you get this value? Even if you run digital you should reduce the track voltage to about 14-15 V to run on safe side.

This is one of the biggest misinterpretation of the standards (my friend runs a service for model trains and almost everyday there is a damaged motor just because of wrong voltage. Sometimes he needs even my help to fix those small models.
In this case, yes, I was trying to see what over-voltage would do to the motor for an hour, I was trying to see what would it take to kill the sample motor.

The value was taken from a Bachmann power pack that I got with an N scale train set, at full power.

For actual layout use, I use a MRC Tech 7 DualPower that puts out 14VDC at full throttle. .

ConnRiver

Post by ConnRiver »

AstroGoat, hey!

Are you interested in testing another motor? If so, I'll mail you a couple. (I'm ignorant about power and motors at this point, so don't know how to test them, yet.) IIRC, these motors were recommended by a rail group, maybe UK? Usually, I make a note about each purchase, can't find one. I'll look in my credit card purchases.

I've got a package of 10 motors (cost me only a few bucks):

Mitsumi
P/N qk1-5680
M15N-3 R-A124

Motor body: .745"L x .608"H x .480"W; shafts .060" diameter.
mm: 18.92L x 15.44H x 12.19W; shafts 15.24 diameter.

Spec sheet for M15N-3 series:
http://www.mitsumi.co.jp/latest/Catalog ... 5n_3_e.pdf

Brian C.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Last edited by ConnRiver on Thu May 17, 2018 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

For those that are curious, the package of motors for my order of 10 motors took 11 days from date of purchase to date of delivery in travel time.

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

ConnRiver wrote:AstroGoat, hey!

Are you interested in testing another motor? If so, I'll mail you a couple. (I'm ignorant about power and motors at this point, so don't know how to test them, yet.) IIRC, these motors were recommended by a rail group, maybe UK? Usually, I make a note about each purchase, can't find one. I'll look in my credit card purchases.

I've got a package of 10 motors (for only a few bucks):

Mitsumi
P/N qk1-5680
M15N-3 R-A124

Motor body: .745"L x .608"H x .480"W; shafts .060" diameter.
mm: 18.92L x 15.44H x 12.19W; shafts 15.24 diameter.

Spec sheet for M15N-3 series:
http://www.mitsumi.co.jp/latest/Catalog ... 5n_3_e.pdf

Brian C.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I am almost always interested in testing stuff out!

I will send you a PM.

ConnRiver

Post by ConnRiver »

Bernd wrote:Hey Brian,

Nice looking motors. Specs are good looking too. 28V max, quite high. RPM looks good, wonder if that's at 28 volts or the rated 8 volts. I wouldn't run this motor at the higher voltage than 12 to 14. May run at 28 volts but I think the brushes would burn out after a while.

You miss placed the decimal point. It should read 1.5 mm shaft according to the spec sheet.

Bernd
Thanks for the feedback, Bernd. So, do I understand correctly, the 28V max is not a problem because the motor would be run at 12V-14V?

I decided I wouldn't pay much attention to motors until I reached a point where it became necessary. I've reached that point, so I better learn what I can (I'll see if I can find a DC motor primer somewhere to study ;-)

And, thank you for catching the shaft diameter error.

-Brian C.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA

Return to “General Discussion”