Disapointed... (Engine failure)

AstroGoat760

Disapointed... (Engine failure)

Post by AstroGoat760 »

Well, one of my MTB Conrail SWs has stopped running today. The directional lighting works just fine, but the motor refuses to budge. I did get more life out of the motor before it stopped compared to the original four MTB SWs that I ordered years ago. I would estimate that the motor in this SW has run for about 400 hours before failure, rather than the 50 hours that I got out of my N&W SW.

I am not that upset, as I am still working on a repowering program for the entirety of my MTB SW fleet, but being down such a pretty engine is a little disappointing.

With Mashima no longer producing motors, does anyone know where to start the search for a new motor system?
Life is short, play with TT Scale Trains!

Tom Dempsey

Re: Disapointed... (Engine failure)

Post by Tom Dempsey »

Several vendors have moved to Canon as a supplier, at least one major Korean Brass builder has been successfully using Canon motors for some years. As with all things, YMMV.

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

Tom Dempsey wrote:Several vendors have moved to Canon as a supplier, at least one major Korean Brass builder has been successfully using Canon motors for some years. As with all things, YMMV.
I actually have never heard of Canon motors. I will have to look into that.

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

krokodil wrote:
IMG_3044.JPG
AstroGoat760 wrote:Well, one of my MTB Conrail SWs has stopped running today. The directional lighting works just fine, but the motor refuses to budge. I did get more life out of the motor before it stopped compared to the original four MTB SWs that I ordered years ago. I would estimate that the motor in this SW has run for about 400 hours before failure, rather than the 50 hours that I got out of my N&W SW.

I am not that upset, as I am still working on a repowering program for the entirety of my MTB SW fleet, but being down such a pretty engine is a little disappointing.

With Mashima no longer producing motors, does anyone know where to start the search for a new motor system?
If you are looking for dual axle motors, last time Mitsumi motors were available on many e-shops.
Does anyone have reviews on Canon and/or Mitsumi motors?

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

krokodil wrote:The Canon motors are mostly high precision motors. They were not made for model railroads (or at least I do not know any manufacturer who used Canon motors for trains). I build 2 models many years ago with Canon motors (originally designed for video recorders or cameras), no one was really a satisfying option. One motor was too slow the second one was too weak for trains. Finally I replaced both motors with Bühler and Roco (N-scale motor). My motors were completely encapsulated - no idea about their internal construction.
Probably the Canon motor requires completely different drive chain.
I did not test the Mitsumi motors in models yet, but are definitively closer to the model train motors in speed and construction.
Thanks for the heads up!

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

You may be able to get something from UK company 3SMR:
http://www.3smr.co.uk/motors.html

Murad

Post by Murad »

I've used a mitsumi motor for kemtron docksider. It's pretty loud, but powerful and stable.
WTB any of the HP Products locomotive parts

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

AstroGoat760 wrote: With Mashima no longer producing motors....
Disaster. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.

ConnRiver

Post by ConnRiver »

What is it with motors? Why so difficult to obtain?

Or, maybe they're not? Some of the prices seem astronomical to me, likely the result of middlemen taking their cut?

And, perhaps, for individual projects, one or two motors aren't difficult to find. But, finding a reliable supplier appears to be impossible. Is this observation accurate?

I don't know how motors are constructed, so maybe I'm way off here. But, are rare earth magnets required for small DC motors to function, and are REMs costly and hard to acquire?

Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

ConnRiver wrote:What is it with motors? Why so difficult to obtain?

Or, maybe they're not? Some of the prices seem astronomical to me, likely the result of middlemen taking their cut?

And, perhaps, for individual projects, one or two motors aren't difficult to find. But, finding a reliable supplier appears to be impossible. Is this observation accurate?

I don't know how motors are constructed, so maybe I'm way off here. But, are rare earth magnets required for small DC motors to function, and are REMs costly and hard to acquire?

Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
In my case it is trying to find a reliable supplier that will not vanish overnight.

Return to “General Discussion”