Switchlist Generator

RodTT

Switchlist Generator

Post by RodTT »

Is anyone interested in switchlists? If so, here's a Christmas present. It's a switchlist generator I wrote to provide a bit of operational interest when playing trains.

It also produces a simple type of carcard/waybill.

Instructions on how to use the program are available via the program's Help menu and can also be downloaded separately.

Program: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/newsforyou/swsetup.exe
Instructions: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/newsforyou/switcher.pdf

The program has been virus checked. I think it's pretty stable but if anyone uses it, please let me know if you encounter any problems. It's been tested on Windows 7 and 8, and I assume it will work on Windows 10.

AstroGoat760

Re: Switchlist Generator

Post by AstroGoat760 »

I have Windows 10, and I will give it a try either later today or later this week, once I get my college assignments more or less ready for the week. (Two final exams this week).
Life is short, play with TT Scale Trains!

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

Well, I finally got around to downloading the program and tried to install it, and for whatever reason, I could not get it to install.

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

I presume you got an error message? What was it?

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

RodTT wrote:I presume you got an error message? What was it?
Yes, I got an error message. When I get home from work, I will try again so I can get the message and write it down and then post it here.

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

AstroGoat760 wrote:
RodTT wrote:I presume you got an error message? What was it?
Yes, I got an error message. When I get home from work, I will try again so I can get the message and write it down and then post it here.
The message that I got was that it was an app from an unknown source, and my computer would not let me install it.

I had to change some of my anti-virus settings to get it to install. Standby for my evaluation of the program.

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

Ok, I'll look forward to it. I have a list of possible enhancements to make if there is sufficient interest and it will be interesting to see if any of yours match mine.

I hope you have better things to do on Christmas day though!

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

Well, I took another crack at it, with the proper setup with my antivirus software, of course, and the program loads and runs just fine.

At present time I do not have an actual need for a switchlist generator, but I am sure that I will, once the big layout gets built, as there is only so much one can do with a demo layout with no switches on it.

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

I have made a few changes to this switchlist generator: http://mattersofinterest.co.uk/swsetup.exe

Instructions are installed with the program and are available via the Help menu but can also be downloaded separately: http://mattersofinterest.co.uk/switcher.pdf

All program and data files have been virus-checked.

New this version are a separate config screen, a choice between narrow and wide formats, a generally more attractive appearance (I hope) and a few bug fixes.

For those thousands of you who have been using it, I have made changes to the database structure, and unfortunately any current data you have will be lost. If you have any data that you want to carry over, get in touch before you install and I should be able to migrate it.

If anyone does have a go with it, let me know what you think, especially if you encounter any bugs.

BTW it's Windows only.

Return to “General Discussion”