June 2016 Model Railroader magazine

ConducTTor
Site Admin

June 2016 Model Railroader magazine

Post by ConducTTor »

I've been alerted by modeler of another scale that MR ran an article "What became of TT scale?" that perhaps does not reflect reality. I plan on responding but I don't have the issue myself. Can one of you gents or ladies scan the article and email it to me please? It should be on page 22 of the June issue.
:wave:

Tom Dempsey

Re: June 2016 Model Railroader magazine

Post by Tom Dempsey »

Perhaps they should run an article entitled "What became of Model Railroader magazine". I stopped reading or paying attention to that magazine years ago.

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

Tom Dempsey wrote:Perhaps they should run an article entitled "What became of Model Railroader magazine". I stopped reading or paying attention to that magazine years ago.
What he said.

TTTerrific

Post by TTTerrific »

I collected MR from June, '65 through Oct. '83--then gave away the whole lot to a local (non-TT) model railroad club. I haven't bought an MR rag since then. I don't give a "rat's petutty" about MR--or someone's opinion about "What happened to TT." My advice--let it go. I like TT just the way it is, even with all the struggles associated with the craftman's scale.

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

TTTerrific wrote:My advice--let it go.
Can't do that :grin:

Richard-B

Post by Richard-B »

Tom Dempsey wrote:Perhaps they should run an article entitled "What became of Model Railroader magazine". I stopped reading or paying attention to that magazine years ago.
What he said... too!

RMC is the only paper mag I occasionally buy at my LHS... I've even given up on the NG&SL Gazette.

I find that MRH and at least 10 railroad 'Modeler' or scale-specific PDF publications keep me reasonably well informed.

That said... I'll buy the June MR just to read their BS about TT...
I know... I haven't read it yet... Just a guess!
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...

Richard-B

Post by Richard-B »

ConducTTor wrote:
TTTerrific wrote:My advice--let it go.
Can't do that :grin:
Don't let it go: The best defense is a good offense!
...and I've been told I can be quite offensive!
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

I think Im on their forum as well. I want to read the article first so I can respond properly.

modorney

Post by modorney »

Model Railroader has a huge backlog of articles, so that article could have been written five years ago?

As far as writing goes, RMC, and the NMRA magazine are always looking for articles. The more pictures, the better. And,, your local NMRA region and division always needs articles. And divisions and regions need clinics. There is a desire to "expand" regional conventions where there is solid content on Saturday and Sunday. A person could attend without having to take time off from work. This means more clinics are needed.

It would help if TT had a national organization, with a national convention to create some press. Or a very active NMRA sig - like OPsig/LDsig - to spread the word.

We could copy the S gauge people - they reserve the inside front cover of RMC for business ads (we could do the inside back cover?) They have a magazine, and they have a convention.

One of the greatest benefits to TT is operating sessions - the cars are bigger than N scale, which means old guys can read the numbers. That is something to emphasize.

modorney

Post by modorney »

> It would be nice if a Bachmann like company would start turning out motive power and rolling stock. That's how On30 got so popular. You have to grow the modeler base beyond the few that are active here on TTnut.

That is so true! Bachmann made On30 grow like crazy. I would like to see a TT company make train sets with US prototypes (I think some already make Euro prototype train sets?)

> Here's a good example of being discouraged to not get into the scale. Was thinking about passenger cars. Where does one get passenger trucks, the North American kind

A basic passenger truck (think Super Chief 1950's) and a basic freight truck (1945 friction bearing) would be a good thing to have on shapeways. A few specialty trucks - like Fox - are there. How difficult is it to draw up a cad model for these? What wheelsets are commercially available, and what interface specs are needed? (angle of cone, tip to tip distance?

Return to “General Discussion”