What's on the bench?

TiTan downunder

Re: What's on the bench?

Post by TiTan downunder »

Rokal coach conversion - part 2 - the couplers.

You will need Peho # 101 ( 5 pair pack close couplers ) and # 333 magnetic couplers.

On the Rokal cars the window / floor is a one piece clear moulding with the underside painted black.
Start by removing the metal capping around the end beam and them removing the centre bar on the end beam.
Interior - A.JPG
Interior - B.JPG
file the raised section flat to match the end on the floor and remove the paint - I used cotton tips dipped in MEK.
Interior - C.JPG
Glue a 1/2" square piece of 0.010" styrene between the raised area and the screw mounting for the old couplers.
Leave overnight to dry. Sand slightly, if needed, to create a flat surface for the Peho base/mounting plate.
interior - D.JPG
Using a gel type ACC mount the Peho base plate FLUSH with the end of the floor. Make sure it is properly centered.
Interior - E.JPG
Leave to cure for an hour. Fit the Peho NEM holding bracket and the magnetic coupler.

attached trucks to frame and reassemble coach.

I have left the holding bracket / coupler level with the bottom of the coach skirts at this stage to see if they need to be higher before I permanently shorten the pins.

Whilst, we all know the Rokal coaches are WAY too short, they at least give some US pass stock until I eventually finish my Harmon NP set.

Ian

MacG

Post by MacG »

A nice rebuild.

Mueller also has exchange axles for Rokal. The wheels are a bit taller 8,3mm and no RP25. From a certain quantity on, he might also be willing to mount RP25 wheel discs on his Rokal axles. I use the taller ones.

I have used as new rivet a wire end ferrule.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:

TiTan downunder

>> Mueller also has exchange axles for Rokal <<
They are what I tried first and was not happy with there "rollabality ".
Ian

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

TiTan downunder wrote:>> Mueller also has exchange axles for Rokal <<
They are what I tried first and was not happy with there "rollabality ".
Ian
Considering that I have been looking into using the Mueller wheels for my Rokal Union Pacific train, I am a bit concerned as to how to go about redoing the axles on the whole train now that you say that they do not roll well.

Once I make a final determination on how I am going to repower the powered loco, I will look more closely into how to refit the non-powered rolling stock.
Life is short, play with TT Scale Trains!

MacG

Post by MacG »

Mine are rolling well. Do you have a test setup? For example, a defined ramp with a straight level track to coast to a stop. I'd recreate this to make it comparable.

TiTan downunder

OK, seeing as we're still basically stuck at home with the virus thing, I'll try and do a video on the week-end.
I still have one original Rokal truck, one with the Mueller Rokal relacements and then my modified versions.

I found that the Mueller replacement versions span quite well when holding the coach upside down in my hand and just spinning the wheels but, putting it on the track it would only roll about 12" or so when pushed REALLY hard.
The modified versions roll 1/2 way around the layout with just a gentle push.
Ian

j p

Post by j p »

TiTan downunder wrote:OK, seeing as we're still basically stuck at home with the virus thing, I'll try and do a video on the week-end.
I still have one original Rokal truck, one with the Mueller Rokal relacements and then my modified versions.

I found that the Mueller replacement versions span quite well when holding the coach upside down in my hand and just spinning the wheels but, putting it on the track it would only roll about 12" or so when pushed REALLY hard.
The modified versions roll 1/2 way around the layout with just a gentle push.
Ian
I guess that the wheels get in contact with some part of the car. Try to add a washer between the car and the truck.

MacG

Post by MacG »

It's definitely not. The Mueller wheel discs have a flatter wheel flange than Rokal's. The journal bearing (trunnion, the full shaft/axle) simply has a larger contact area than a point bearing (peak, like all other TT axles). A drop of oil or grease can help.

TiTan downunder

There was plenty of clearance. It was the friction of the flat/blunt axle just dragging in the sideframes with the extra weight of the coach body. Tried oil, grease & graphite all to little avail.
With the pin point axles they most certainly roll now. My glass top workbench has a 1 degree slope on it and they won't stay put, just keep rolling off.
Ian

j p

Post by j p »

TiTan downunder wrote:There was plenty of clearance. It was the friction of the flat/blunt axle just dragging in the sideframes with the extra weight of the coach body. Tried oil, grease & graphite all to little avail.
With the pin point axles they most certainly roll now. My glass top workbench has a 1 degree slope on it and they won't stay put, just keep rolling off.
Ian
OK, then the problem is somewhere else. It is not supposed to have any flat contact with the sideframe at the end of the axle (see H.P. Products cars with friction bearings). The contact should be on the side (of the axle).
Zeuke and BTTB used a tiny steel ball for each of the drive bearings. Would that help?

Return to “General Discussion”