What's on the bench?

Robert B

Re: What's on the bench?

Post by Robert B »

MacG wrote:The M53 wagon top car. It's a good model of the prototype. Unfortunately, the model is missing the rivets. Mike has it tried with archer decal rivets.
The wagon top boxcar looks great; even without the rivets! :thumbup:

Rich1853

Post by Rich1853 »

AstroGoat760 wrote:Very nice, I am partial to the Great Northern, even if it wasn't for the fact that I grew up in and currently live in GN territory. Must be the goat...
Here is a goat that would make you happy
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SY400_.jpg
Rich1853
Greetings from Melbourne, Florida USA
On the Space Coast of Florida

MacG

Post by MacG »

The logging truck from RailTT got a load.
logging truck
logging truck
And spurred on by the tinkering on the TT-board I also slaughtered a Carson RC car H0-scale VW T1 bus. Because the choice for a car body is very limited, I chose the Winnebago Indian from Shapeways. Unfortunately, it is too close in front of the front axle. I have already shortened the Carson chassis, but now the front wheels bump against the front on the inside when steering. The blue spacer fulfills its purpose. But it does not look pretty - I know. Fortunately, it is only temporary.
Winnebago with modified RC car chassis
Winnebago with modified RC car chassis
Maybe I'll let customize the 3D shell of the Winnebago. For now, it makes fun to drive with. :grin:

A better candidate would be the International Cargostar (RailTT) as a box truck. If only there wasn't the sloping rear wall of the cabin and that it had bigger wheels.
RC car chassis beside Cargostar
RC car chassis beside Cargostar
Hint: Because of the radio licenses, the RC car can only be delivered to the following countries: all EU countries, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

That Winnebago model shell looks nice, but it does not hold a candle to the Eagle 5, the ultimate Winnebago:
Spaceballs(5).jpg
Life is short, play with TT Scale Trains!

Bigelov

Post by Bigelov »

Mac,
That is fantastic. A TT scale rc vehicle? What is there not to like!
You will have to post a video of it running when it is finished.
Steve B
Russia in Narrow Gauge
Bigelov's Flickr Account

MacG

Post by MacG »

I'll do that. But first I have to find a solution for the integrated lighting (front and rear) and how to mount the chassis. A bit of paint and windows would be good too.

For model builders of the European railways, the Robur Van or Coach would be a good choice.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

I've been making some operating cards. They cycle through all 16 of my freight cars and all 6 industries on my layout. When you get to the end, you end up back at the starting position.
I don't know why I did this really, I don't play trains all that much, and at shows I just make sure I have something moving. Plus I have a switchlist generator program which does much the same thing. But there we are!
P1050788.JPG

RodTT

Post by RodTT »

I've also been 'modernising' my 40ft boxcars by removing the roofwalks. And, in one case, by shortening the side ladder.
P1050785.JPG

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

RodTT wrote:I've also been 'modernising' my 40ft boxcars by removing the roofwalks. And, in one case, by shortening the side ladder.
P1050785.JPG
I have accidentally "modernized" a few of my GC cars by putting too much pressure on the car while installing couplers...
Life is short, play with TT Scale Trains!

TiTan downunder

Post by TiTan downunder »

I have finally got my Rokal pass cars turned into decent / close coupled runners. Originally, I just replaced the wheels with the newer versions available from Mueller in Germany. These were better but, still ran with the brakes on all time. After a bit of experimentation they now run faster than the "Road Runner" and with the Peho magnetic coupling system stay close coupled on curves.
Finished - with just 1mm  gap between cars.JPG
It was a 2 x part operation. First the trucks and then the body mounted couplers.

If you want to copy this you will need;-
1/ tapered brass bearings from 3SMR in the UK - part # MU 22 - pkt 40 - 3.33 UK pound
2/ NSWL shim washers - part # 1108-4
3/ Wheels - I used Mueller ( Germany ) 7.70mm ( 36" ) double insulated
4/ nut & bolt ( 2/56 x 1/2" ) to put truck back together
Conversion - components.JPG
Start by dismantling the coach completely - put all the screws / parts in a container. You will need the body and truck mounting screws / springs to re-assemble the coach.
Truck - before.JPG
Trucks;- start by drilling out one of the rivets, the drilling out the axle holes to 2.00mm ( 5/64" or # 47 drill ) . Using the tapered brass bearings from 3SMR in the UK, I added 2 x 0.010" shim washers from NWSL and then ACC'd these to the trucks, making sure they were centered on the axle holes. Once this is done fit the new wheelsets to the sideframes and bolt together. There will be considerable sideplay but the wheels should not fall out. Snap off the upright locating pin on the centre beam of the truck by simply bending it backwards.
Test run to check operation.
Truck - finished with locating pin snapped off.JPG
more to follow
Ian

Return to “General Discussion”