TT Scale Society

areibel

Re: TT Scale Society

Post by areibel »

It is a Dash 2, with the major differences being a water sight glass on the long hood on the right side (that I just realized there's not a pic of), and a few minor cab differences. Some minor sanding and filling would convert it to it's older sister. And I've been told (but haven't verified) that it is very close to a GP39-2 as well, the major difference being the exhaust stacks. The 38 has two , for the 29 there's one of a different style (turbo) but I don't think it would be hard to replicate. I think those Mattel toys had a turbo stack, I'll have to dig them out and look. It could be copied and added to the GP38-2 to convert it.
Time for more research!

ctxmf74

Post by ctxmf74 »

"on getting a mech done in the US, well, good luck on that ... this has been sought for a long time but either the skills to do it or the market just are not there."

There's no reason a US based company can't build a drive as easily as a foreign based company. This is not hi tech stuff, it's mostly about assembling stock parts into a working model. The drive could be assembled in china or anywhere and still be sold from the US. If you want TT to grow in the US you gotta provide easy access to TT trains like Saz model is doing . The thing that should be done now is a line of flextrack and basic turnouts so new modelers can get into TT without having to build their own track or try to buy it from overseas from companies that have little interest in selling it to us. It's not a question of lack of market demand it's a question of lack of supply. I'm an experienced modeler and I'm still having trouble justifying building my new layout in TT scale simply because it is so much easier to do it in HO or even S scales given the TT scale supply chain, so imagine how a less experienced modeler would view TT scale? The average US modeler doesn't care what is going on in Europe or Russia or Asia, they just want to know what they can get here with 3 day priority mail delivery and a local chain of knowledge,advice, and support. Offer them flextrack and they'll be flocking to buy SW9's to run on it and come up with a reliable drive for the GP38-2 and they'll buy it next. Look at the popularity of HOn3 which is near the size of TT standard gauge but without all the neat standard gauge prototypes to add to the stable. If Blackstone was building TT scale instead of HOn3 we wouldn't need to be having this conversation as TT scale would be rocking and rolling. .....DaveB

MacG

Post by MacG »

A very nice shell!
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:

ctxmf74

Post by ctxmf74 »

"f you're an average modeller in the US, you certainly aren't modelling TT, so how is that relevant?

if blackstone = if atlas = if bachmann.

if = whole lot of nothing."

It's relevant because the average modeler could be modeling in TT scale if there was enough product to buy. Reverse the supply of TT and N scales and there'd be 25 N scale modelers and thousands of TT scale modelers. If Bachman was building TT scale instead of On30 there'd be 25 On30 modelers and many more TT modelers. People can only buy what is offered for sale, they must compromise if what they want is not offered. given an equal supply of models TT modelers numbers would match up equally with the other mainstream scales. If you really believe TT is so unattractive to the average modeler why are you into it? ..DaveB

milwrd1

Post by milwrd1 »

A very nice shell and etched details. What are the prototype years for the GP38, GP38-2 :?:

areibel

Post by areibel »

According to Wikpedia, the GP38 was from Jan 1966 util Dec 1971. the Dash 2's went from 1972 until July 1986!

CSD

Post by CSD »

Alright, I think everyone has said their peace. Let's not hijack this good news.

The GP38-2 shell is here and it looks good!

If anyone has some ideas outside of what the TT Scale Society is offering, please start a new topic.
Mark
//S

areibel

Post by areibel »

That was one of the problems we had, deciding a "phase". Paper air filter or oil bath? Anticlimber or not? No dynamics, standard dynamics or extended range dynamics? There's actually quite a list of small differences so we picked a common one and went with it.
We also discussed making the shell with an interchangeable dynamic blister, but that would have raised both the complexity and cost. So it is what it is!

ctxmf74

Post by ctxmf74 »

"So it is what it is!'

I think you made a good decision on the configuration, it's easier to saw off and replace the dynamic brakes with some plastic sheet than it would be to create the dynamics from scratch, and an anti climber is relatively easy to make if anyone wants it. At this point in time I think people would just be happy to be able to get a recent era loco and would accept it no matter how it was detailed. The drive is gonna make or break it , the details can be changed if desired or just overlooked when it comes time to pull trains...DaveB

milwrd1

Post by milwrd1 »

areibel wrote:According to Wikpedia, the GP38 was from Jan 1966 util Dec 1971. the Dash 2's went from 1972 until July 1986!
Thanks for the info, Al. One day I'm going to remember to check Wikipedia myself!

With a construction end date of July 1986, this will indeed fit into the modern age. A beautiful shell that looks like it could be easily modified to accomodate the various phases. Possibly even a GP39!

Return to “General Discussion”