TT Scale Society

Richard-B

Re: TT Scale Society - Good News! GP38 shells!!!

Post by Richard-B »

As I posted elsewhere:
The GP38 shells have landed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These shells TOTALLY EXCEED expectations!
Congratulations to Al Reibel and the TT Scale Society on a superb achievement!

The quality and smoothness of the shell surfaces are nearly the equal of injection molding...

First touch with the digital caliper says the interior hood width is just about 13.2mm...
and the available interior height at the shell center is about 24mm.

If you have NOT contacted Al to discuss reserving these shells... NOW is the time!

2014 is going to be a GREAT Year for TT-Scale!!!
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...

ctxmf74

Re: TT Scale Society

Post by ctxmf74 »

"The GP38 shells have landed!!!!"

What drive are they designed for? ..DaveB

Richard-B

Post by Richard-B »

ctxmf74 wrote:What drive are they designed for?
The designed-for drive is Bull-Ant... and there will be an etched chassis adapter for it.

The Lok-n-Roll Lionel-compatible arrangement may work, others are considering alternatives using Tillig components (similar to the PVM Lionel GP9 powering arrangement), modified Peco Hercules components, or other semi-scratch approaches.

"So many choices... so little time..."
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...

j p

Post by j p »

scaro wrote:
as the Piko Hercules is 22.2mm, and has a scale 34' wheelbase, that ought to be sufficient 'guts' for a hood chassis just based on a sheet of of brass. depends how wide the motor is, though. would probably have to sit on its edge. and it does realistically need NWSL wheels as the NEM ones supplied are going to be too big, especially with the flanges.
Nono, I have to make a correction here.
Please don't blame NEM for the flanges! It is the manufacturer's decision to make large flanges, not NEM.
All HP Products' and most NMRA flanges are also according to NEM.
NEM has just a wider tolerance for the flange depth (0.5 mm - 1 mm), while NMRA standard has max. 0.66 mm.

Arseny

Post by Arseny »

As for me, 1mm difference is admissible

What about other dimensions? Are they correct?

areibel

Post by areibel »

The Piko trucks will work, and NWSL does have wheels that are press on replacements. It's been awhile, but I think I got 28" HO scale Code 88 wheels with a 2mm bore that will slide on the Piko axles. I'll have to dig it all out and check again, it has been probably three years since I looked at this possibility. I'll have to measure the wheelbase of the truck itself, but I think it was within 3-4 scale inches.
But I don't think the chassis offers much promise, even if the truck centers are correct. If you've seen the chassis Ian used for his FP7 it's quite a hunk of metal. I stripped it down and brought it to work and attacked it with a large belt sander to remove material, but I think you'd get the "deck" area too thin before you could get the body to sit down on the chassis far enough. Mine cracked just from handling, so I gave up. And I think (again, if I remember correctly!) that the motor was too fat to fit inside the hood. I bought mine from 3SMR as just a chassis, the cost was quite reasonable so I considered robbing the parts I could and using them on a flat chassis. Everything is in a tote in the dungeon at home, I'll try to find it and get some pics tonight.

ctxmf74

Post by ctxmf74 »

"I think a new chassis must be made out of a bit of brass or two brass rods, to hold the trucks"

Some of the old O scale switcher locos used frame rails that were thin metal strips set up on edge, they attached against each side of the motor and extended fore and aft to the trucks where a cross piece connected them and provide the truck mount. Very simple and sturdy and left the bottom of the loco open for inspection and maintenance. Does the GP 38 body include the under body tanks and side skirts of would a frame need to incorporate them into it's design? ..DaveB

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

The problem with the above arrangement is weight. As in, not enough.

Sent using Tapatalk - now Free
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.

ctxmf74

Post by ctxmf74 »

"The problem with the above arrangement is weight. As in, not enough."

Weight is a function of the area within the shell, more room = more ability to add lead. The frame doesn't have to be the weight, it just has to be able to support the weight..DaveB

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

Well yes. But the issue is, there's not much space inside the hood once you take the motor and gear towers into consideration. With models of this size the chassis/frame HAS to contribute.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.

Return to “General Discussion”