Repairing a DC-60 Motor

AstroGoat760

Repairing a DC-60 Motor

Post by AstroGoat760 »

This is a first for me: one of the commutator plates on a DC-60 motor has fallen off, and I am trying to figure out the best way to repair it, should I try soldering it, or just replace the motor?
Life is short, play with TT Scale Trains!
tomvanhoy

Re: Repairing a DC-60 Motor

Post by tomvanhoy »

Haven't had that happen to me. Is it just soldered on? If so shouldn't be that hard to re-solder. If it is more thanthat I would try a new motor, you may get better performance anyway.
areibel

Post by areibel »

I'm not sure if the plates are soldered to the armature and then the wire soldered to the plates? I'd probably try to epoxy the plate on then solder, instead of risking too much heat burning off the wire insulation.
What I usually do is swap parts from an HO version. I've picked up new DC-60's and just changed the bottom plate (where it's drilled and tapped for the HP mounting screw), you could just swap the armature the same way, just be careful not to bend the shaft trying to get the worm on.
milwrd1

Post by milwrd1 »

This cannot be soldered.....the "plates" are integral to the insulated part of the commutator. Attempting to solder a plate to the commutator barrel would surely ruin the commutator. The commutator barrel/base is made of an insulated material, which would melt if a soldering iron is used to attach one of the plates.

Would not recommend epoxy either. One would certainly wind up with a high plate (the epoxied plate would wind up being slightly higher than the other plates) resulting in a commutator that would be out of round. Understanding that these are not slot car motors and they turn at a relatively low RPM, the out of roundness would result in vibration and high brush wear.

I would not try to repair this. Disassemble the motor and save the good parts for spares. You might be able to find a suitable replacement commutator on ebay. Best bet (as Al suggested), is to find a DC60 motor from another model to use. Also, since you have experience repowering engines (I think you have already repowered several SW 1200's), remove the Pittman DC60 and replace with a modern-day motor :thumbup: .
AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

milwrd1 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:02 pm This cannot be soldered.....the "plates" are integral to the insulated part of the commutator. Attempting to solder a plate to the commutator barrel would surely ruin the commutator. The commutator barrel/base is made of an insulated material, which would melt if a soldering iron is used to attach one of the plates.

Would not recommend epoxy either. One would certainly wind up with a high plate (the epoxied plate would wind up being slightly higher than the other plates) resulting in a commutator that would be out of round. Understanding that these are not slot car motors and they turn at a relatively low RPM, the out of roundness would result in vibration and high brush wear.

I would not try to repair this. Disassemble the motor and save the good parts for spares. You might be able to find a suitable replacement commutator on ebay. Best bet (as Al suggested), is to find a DC60 motor from another model to use. Also, since you have experience repowering engines (I think you have already repowered several SW 1200's), remove the Pittman DC60 and replace with a modern-day motor :thumbup: .
The only issue that I have with a re-motor is trying to come up with a way to mount a motor such that it interfaces with the worm gear the same way as the stock DC-60. I guess I need to get off my duff and try to figure this out, as yes, I did manage to stumble my way through a re-motor of the MTB SW-series.
Life is short, play with TT Scale Trains!

Return to “General Discussion”