Mehano Bombardier Blue Tiger model 55540 T 509 MKB

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Mehano Bombardier Blue Tiger model 55540 T 509 MKB

Post by ConducTTor »

BTTB Fan wrote:Make sure you remove the cab interiors to release the wires and also remove the walkways/railings.
Thank you.

I won't be able to get to it tonight but definately tomorrow night.
:wave:

BTTB Fan

Post by BTTB Fan »

No rush at all. I am still waiting for the decoder, and even when it comes in, I will probabaly spend a lot of time playing with it installed on the open chassis. In the meantime, I spent another 10 minutes fiddling with the motor mount with no result. I am now trying to rationalize my defeat throug thinking that even if I managed to get the motor mount out, there does not seem to be the place to feed the wires out of that space and to the decoder nicely. I am liking the idea of mounting the speaker in the easyly accessible spot more and more.
Alexei

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

So, the model is in about 20 pieces and I'm on the verge of going after the motor. I figure after going through all this trouble maybe I should stick a chip and speaker in there. Can you tell me exactly what you're buying and from where? I'll be back in a bit with a report on the removal of motor. Or the failure to do so....

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

Here's the deal - the motor is held in by notches which are part of the "clips" on both sides. Push the clips out so the notches come out of the motor body and you can pull the motor up.
Mehano_TT_Blue_Tiger_motor_removal.jpg

BTTB Fan

Post by BTTB Fan »

Thanks, I did see that the motor can be pulled out of the mount. However, the plastic mount itself is what covering the speaker hole. So, I was trying to pull the whole assembly out and failed. Maybe, pulling the motor out first will expose the way to push the plastic tabs that hold the mount itself. then again, I am more and more inclined to just leave the motor alone. Another reason being that the motor has some strong magnets inside (people on tt-board.de were complaining about it throwing their reed switches, so having the speaker next to it might cause some sound distortion.

Now, onto more struggles. The decoder I bought (received it yesterday) is a standard ESU Loksound Micro 3.5 with NEM651 connector. Of course, had I done my research, I would have known that a) the NEM connector is not built onto the board, but is rather connected by wires (makes sense, as it makes it more iniversal); and b) the speaker supplied is a relatively larger rectangular version (which is shown in the pictures, and fis nicely into Roco's Ludmilas, as mentioned by CSD). So, now I am ordering an ESU 13mm speaker, and also trying to figure out how to fit the decoder itself into the shell.

My current plan is to extend the wires between the NEM connector and decoder and put decoder up in the opposite end of the loco, then run the speaker wires back and attache the speaker under (or next to) the NEM connection. The fit is quite tight everywhere,and there is a risk of rubbing either against the flywheel(s) ot the bogie towers.

In the moment of weakness I considered getting a non-sound decoder, sticking it is, and being done with it, but after testing out the sounds I am ready to give it all I've got! :D

P.S. My decoder came from german e-bay, but modelbahnwelt24.de has it for about the same price, and they also have 13mm speakers in stock. I was going to order from Eurorailhobbies.com, but I can never figure out if they have stuff in stock or not :(
Alexei

BTTB Fan

Post by BTTB Fan »

With ConducTTor's help and encouragement, I first got the motor and then the motor mount out.

As expected from the part diagram, the motor mount has 4 latching tabs that lock it into the chassis. Haning removed the motor, a significant amount of pulling and prying finally got the mount out. Luckily, it is made of polyethylene (or something similar) and is quite flexible. The tabs came out with minimal to no damage.

Also as expected, there is openings/channels in the motor mount that would allow for speaker wires to be guided out from under it. The logical solution would be to file the notches on the sides of the mount. However, with Blue Tiger's body being very narrow, it is not clear that the wires can be successfully guided along the motor body. Other alternative is drilling or filing the guide channel diagonally to one of the recesses on the motor mount close to the end opposite the motor contacts. Here is an enlarged view of the area:

Since I am not waiting for the 13mm speaker to arrive, I will have some time to measure the clearances and see if the simpler approach would work.
Did I mention that Mehano obviously did not plan on the Blue Tiger ever being taken apart? :wall: :wall: :wall:
I still LOVE the model though :thumbup:
Alexei

jmass

Post by jmass »

alexi, if you feel you might get to the point where something might break, george at eurotrain hobby has a guy that does instalation. i know it aint the same as doing it yourself but as a last resort, something to look into. he probally charges an arm and a leg but it is an option. good luck!

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

Hmmm, looking at the pictures it seems like the wires may be able to be guided through the motor mount at the corners where there are notches in the bottom. I need to pull mine completely out and see what kind of space there is between the mount and motor......

BTTB Fan

Post by BTTB Fan »

ConducTTor wrote:Hmmm, looking at the pictures it seems like the wires may be able to be guided through the motor mount at the corners where there are notches in the bottom. I need to pull mine completely out and see what kind of space there is between the mount and motor......
Yes, that's what I was thinking, but in order to get to those notches you need to first guide the wires out of the round hole!
Alexei

BTTB Fan

Post by BTTB Fan »

jmass wrote:alexi, if you feel you might get to the point where something might break, george at eurotrain hobby has a guy that does instalation. i know it aint the same as doing it yourself but as a last resort, something to look into. he probally charges an arm and a leg but it is an option. good luck!
Thanks, this is good to know! I do sincerely hope, however, that the Blue Tiger being ultimately unfriendly in terms of servicing is more an exception than the norm. My experience with BTTB, Tillig, and Roco has been a "walk in the park" compared to this one.
Alexei

Return to “Mehano TT Scale Models”