CF-7 kit

This sub forum is meant to be a model library. Feel free to add any information / pictures and your own reviews on models. If a topic on your model already exists, please add to it. Otherwise, start a new one.
TiTan downunder

CF-7 kit

Post by TiTan downunder »

One project currently under way is a kit for the EMD CF-7 loco. This will be done as a urethane cast body ( same as the GP38-2 ) with brass etchings for the handrails, fans, etc.
Yesterday, my mate who is doing the casting master called in on his way south to show of his handiwork so far.
It has taken 7 - 8 months ( of his spare time ) to get to this stage and still needs a lot more work but, it is getting there!
Originally, the drive was designed around using the MTB geared trucks, mounted to a 1mm ( 0.040" ) thick milled brass plate with a Mashima motor and NWSL flywheels & universals. Don't have photo of mock-up chassis as he didn't bring that with him.
SDC11494.JPG
SDC11500.JPG
SDC11497.JPG
Ian

AstroGoat760

Re: CF-7 kit

Post by AstroGoat760 »

Interesting choice for a prototype. Definitely looking forward to the end result. :thumbup:
Life is short, play with TT Scale Trains!

Jes_leyva

Post by Jes_leyva »

Great!!! :thumbup:

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

Oh very cool! I look forward to the development. Will it be available for purchase?
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.

areibel

Post by areibel »

The detail is great! I like the way the the doors turned out, the louvers and other details are nice, did he etch it all himself?

TiTan downunder

>> Will it be available for purchase? <<

Yes, when ready they will be sold as a kit which is why we're doing it as a casting master rather than a one off.

>> The detail is great! I like the way the the doors turned out, the louvers and other details are nice, did he etch it all himself <<

No. He does the drawings in Corel draw then has them commercially etched.

It's been a bit difficult for him as he's more used to climbing all the loco, carriage, whatever, and then doing a model of it. Only having plans / books / photos it has taken a lot longer than doing some of his Australian N scale models. I also think it took him time to adjust to working in TT.

Ian

AstroGoat760

Post by AstroGoat760 »

Sign me up for one (or more depending on cost and availability).
Life is short, play with TT Scale Trains!

TiTan downunder

OK, thanks. Not taking any orders yet as probably won't be ready for a few more months. There will be others things to empty your wallets VERY shortly.

Ian

areibel

Post by areibel »

:clap:

railtwister

Post by railtwister »

AstroGoat760 wrote:Interesting choice for a prototype. Definitely looking forward to the end result. :thumbup:
While the only major RR to use CF7's was ATSF, who remanufactured them out of old F units, eventually they were sold to many shortline railroads, and some are still in use today. I know of several here in Florida, the Florida Northern in Ocala has a couple (although they are lettered for sister road Florida Central), and I believe another affilliate, Florida Central has at least one as well. All three roads are owned by Pinsley, a group that has several RR's scattered through the USA.

Please keep us advised of any progress on this project.

Bill in FtL

Return to “TT Scale Models”