Forum updates and availability

Board rules and such. Read before posting.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

Hey gang, the software the site is running on is due for a major update. Through the years I've only done a few updates and they've been relatively minor so I've mainly done them on the fly. This is a pretty big revision (we've basically been running on the same software for our entire decade+ existence) and I'll have to shut it down and completely rebuild it. I'm guessing we'll be down for a week at worst. My question to you: should I rip off the band-aid now or wait a few months until the weather gets better and everyone is spending more time outside?
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.

AstroGoat760

Re: Forum updates and availability

Post by AstroGoat760 »

How far out in the spring are we looking? There is a series of train shows that we will be attending from late February on, and I would rather not have to tell people that "TTnut.com is down for now, please check back later".
We do field questions on TT Scale at each show, and we try to direct people to TTnut.com as often as possible.

Personally, I would like to see the updates done sooner than later, but that is me.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!

areibel

Post by areibel »

I'd say just do it! it won't be any less painful later than now!

i

CFRiad

Post by CFRiad »

Yeah, just do it now.

Can you share some details about what you need to do?

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

I need to back up all data. This requires locking the forum so nothing new is created after the backup is done (or it will be lost).

Backup all images.

Make a copy of all files that currently make the site work. If all goes to hell, this is what we go back to.

Update server to latest and greatest versions of PHP, Postgres, etc. At this point everything that existed is gone forever.

Install latest version of PHPBB (the forum software).

Install all add-ons (like gallery, SEO, etc.) and configure the forum settings so everything is as we're used to it being. This may get nasty depending on how much the software's changed.

Once everything appears to function, it's time to cross all fingers and toes and populate the databases. If anything is going to go south, it will be here.

At this point there should be a functional useable site (that looks generic).

I'll make some general style updates so at least the color scheme is appropriate. I'll deal with the smaller stuff later.

At this point I can unlock the site and shouldn't need to lock it again.

After that, I'll deal with bugs on the fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.

CFRiad

Post by CFRiad »

Whoa, I didn’t realized you are hosting the site. I always imagined that the site is using a service hosted and maintained by a big shop.

I am impressed.

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

I pay for a server and everything required to keep it running and secure and whatnot. But everything site specific is done by me.

krokodil

Post by krokodil »

Can you please test the upg in advance? Several new upgrades ( I learned at least in 2 cases around Xmas time) does not support some older HW and FW ( in my case they stopped to support the IOS V10.3). Probaly the can happen also to W7 and older etc.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Post by ConducTTor »

No worries, the updates I'm making are not operating system dependent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krokodil

Post by krokodil »

In my case they also told me ( both companies are commercial companies) that is should be compatible, but now they cannot fix the problem with the older IOS.(while on Android the system works fine). The 3rd chinese commercial company was working over 3 weeks to fix the compatibility issues introduces with their last SW upgrade around Xmas. It is working now, the two European companies gave up. (One is a railway ticekting company, I am able to find the connection but not able to purchase the ticket over IOS ( A shame).
Greetings from Austria
E.T.

Return to “About The Board”