Vancouver Train Show November 2013

Re: Vancouver Train Show November 2013

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:14 pm

railtwister wrote:Arseny,
. . .
The Atlas HO station was copied in N scale and was sold here by Model Power both as a kit (sku #490-1524) and a built-up (may now be discontinued). I seem to recall thinking it wasn't very accurately scaled to N scale, although I don't recall if it was too big or too small. I think it was made by Pola. The current Model Power N scale wayside station (#490-2562 ) could be used for TT, since the freight doors measure about 10' x 10'. It's really a European prototype, but can pass for American. There's a small door on the attached shed (bathroom?) at the back, which could be cut out and replaced with a larger door made from a piece of scribed styrene.
Bill in FtL

I had one of the Wayside Stations in my hand at one point. It was a used model from a collection. It was quite interesting and as Bill noted could easily be used in TT-Scale. Unfortunately a customer had spotted it before I did and purchased it. The new built-up model is a bit pricey so I am on the lookout for another used model.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:30 pm

Slowly coming back to life after the show.
It was a good show and most importantly for me, for the first time in eighteen years I was not part of the committee running the show.<G> I had a great time!

Saturday I spent most of my time at the store sales tables. Still managed to get a bit of time in at the display.

Sunday I was able to spend more time at the display. We ran TT, talked TT, swapped a few models around, and talked about future possible projects. More on those if they come to fruition.
As Terry noted in a previous posting, except for my screaming SW1200 things ran well. We spent more time leveling the tables so we had fewer uncoupling incidents.
Interest was high. The kids loved the low level layout, it was at a good viewing height for them.

I did a bit of shopping. There were no TT-Scale items for sale but I found a few things that will be useful. More on them in another posting.

We have come as long way in the few years this loose group of TT-Scale modelers has been coming to shows. Getting better with each show.

My thanks to Terry, Graeme, Xenia and Mark for helping with the display.

Now to start getting ready for the March show.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Marquette » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:47 pm

From my non-scientific assessment, I think we had more interest than ever before, more people lingering to actually take a look. And I think the SW and having all-NA-proto trains running (at one point, two on Saturday) was a big part of that. For someone who was entirely ready to give up this hobby six months ago, I had a blast and feel a renewed excitement for it.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby dileTTante » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:36 am

For the curious here are a few photos of other displays at the train show. Though misguided in their choice of scales, the modelers have some ideas worth attention.

From opening to closing there was a teen aged boy with a small N scale layout. It was a simple oval with a divider. In front were some industrial spurs of track for switching. Being a non-diesel person I was still able to recognize the N scale SW thanks to recent discussions at TTNut. Behind the backdrop the boy had a staging yard that looked more interesting and fun than the front of the layout. He stood by himself and operated his trains nonchalantly through both days.

Another N scale set-up was approximately 4 ft x 1 ft and crammed with trains, track, and LEDs. The fellow who built it said a lot of people stopped to look, and he was working on another layout.

And a third N scale setup was just Kato track laid out on a couple tables which were covered with green cloth. Although Tillig bedding track is made by Kato, the N scale track is clearly better, the turnouts are not so sharp as in TT and the points are fastened with pivots not by sloppy rail joiners.

The last picture is of the Great Northern Empire Builder in N scale, entered in the model contest.
Attachments
DSC01467R.JPG
DSC01450R.JPG
DSC01455R.JPG
DSC01492R.JPG
DSC01498R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby dileTTante » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:40 am

Another display maybe two meters long was in O scale with a single track and a British locomotive giving off depressingly realistic steam and mechanical noises. The displays of British layouts always have an inherent charm and tidyness.

And one photo shows that even Lego is offering as much or more than TT.

Also in O scale was a kit of the Krokodil. All the parts in their unopened bags. But it's unmotorized.

The last photo shows a live steam locomotive in G scale. It can be run by remote control. There's a panel of push buttons under the coal in the tender. This belongs to the live-steam group. Amazingly a visitor told me he owned one himself.
Attachments
DSC01459R.JPG
DSC01479R.JPG
DSC01496R.JPG
DSC01502R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:46 pm

dileTTante wrote:For the curious here are a few photos of other displays at the train show. Though misguided in their choice of scales, the modelers have some ideas worth attention.

From opening to closing there was a teen aged boy with a small N scale layout. It was a simple oval with a divider. In front were some industrial spurs of track for switching. Being a non-diesel person I was still able to recognize the N scale SW thanks to recent discussions at TTNut. Behind the backdrop the boy had a staging yard that looked more interesting and fun than the front of the layout. He stood by himself and operated his trains nonchalantly through both days.

This was Nick Batten, the son of one of the committee members.

dileTTante wrote:Another N scale set-up was approximately 4 ft x 1 ft and crammed with trains, track, and LEDs. The fellow who built it said a lot of people stopped to look, and he was working on another layout.

I think that was Chris Cottrell. He does a nice job of detailing a layout.

dileTTante wrote:And a third N scale setup was just Kato track laid out on a couple tables which were covered with green cloth. Although Tillig bedding track is made by Kato, the N scale track is clearly better, the turnouts are not so sharp as in TT and the points are fastened with pivots not by sloppy rail joiners.

That was the PGE / BCR / BC Rail Modellers N-Scale display. They set up their display boards and then put a Unitrack oval around them.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:30 pm

A few more items from Trains 2013.
2013-11-10sw12007028.jpg
SW1200 #7028 performed flawlessly. Here it is on a corner. That's Terry in the back ground and Graeme being shy<G>.
2013-11-10sw1200 7028 2.jpg
Here she is again at the road crossing on the station corner. Still a lot of work to do here. The road needs crossing gates, would be nice if they worked and were lighted but . . . , the station platform needs detailing, and the road looks a strange colour in the wrong light. And there's that blue building in the back.

In a previous posting on the TT-tracks thread I mentioned that I had kitbashed a 40' gondola from Bachmann N-Scale bodies.
2013-11-10 gondola.jpg
I found a few more bodies to use.
The car on the front left is my first bash awaiting decals. The two shells on the front right will be converted next. I found that these N-Scale models come with thick ribs and thin ribs. The thin ribs are probably more correct for N-Scale. The thick ribbed cars are better for TT-Scale.

The body in the back left is a MicroTrains N-Scale shell that came my way for a dollar. I was going to strip, modify, repaint and redecal but looking closer at the model I am wondering if I can save the paint on the sides and use it as is after widening the body. It would be a bogus model but look good. That brings up thoughts about the the two NYC gondolas. Can I splice them and save their paint schemes? Can I get matching paint?

The car in the back right is an Atlas N-Scale modern Gondola that I won in the banquet prize draw. Looking closer at it, it has too many oddly spaced ribs and may not be a good candidate for converting. Perhaps I can swap it for another MicroTrains car.

The car I would really like to have is the old Mantua/Tyco 40' gondola. A nice boring utilitarian car that was probably used in thousands. It is a relatively simple car so perhaps it will be my second freight car scratch building project.

I found two interesting buildings.
2013-11-10 buildings.jpg
The A-frame might be under size HO Scale (small doors) or oversize N-Scale (over sized doors). I think it will look OK placed in the woods.
The shed is N-Scale but will work in TT-Scale. the door is only 5 feet tall but if I add a six to twelve inch foundation under the walls the door will be large enough for a small shed.

So I found a few items useable for TT-Scale, a DVD on CPR in the Boundary Sub, and a few HO-Scale treasures. Not a bad show for purchases. Kept in budget too!
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Arseny » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:55 pm

railtwister wrote:I just remembered, the old Revell HO train station wasn't the one that was also sold as a Howard Johnsons (the HoJo was the Atlas kit, and may still be available in HO). I don't think the HoJo was made for N. I believe the alter ego for the Revell station may have been a school house (please forgive my bad memory, it was about 50 years ago!), but I'm not sure if it was ported to N scale or not. The HO version of the station had a round roofed cupola in the roof over the ticket office, while the N version ended up with two cupolas instead of one.

The Atlas HO station was copied in N scale and was sold here by Model Power both as a kit (sku #490-1524) and a built-up (may now be discontinued). I seem to recall thinking it wasn't very accurately scaled to N scale, although I don't recall if it was too big or too small. I think it was made by Pola. The current Model Power N scale wayside station (#490-2562 ) could be used for TT, since the freight doors measure about 10' x 10'. It's really a European prototype, but can pass for American. There's a small door on the attached shed (bathroom?) at the back, which could be cut out and replaced with a larger door made from a piece of scribed styrene. Both stations can be seen at:
<http://www.walthers.com/exec/search?category=&scale=N&manu=490&item=&keywords=station&words=restrict&instock=Q&split=30&Submit=Search>

Thank you, Bill, it's very interesting. Malden Station # 490-1524 looks very nice, but I am afraid it is not suitable for TT, if it is accurately scaled to N scale...

As for wayside station (#490-2562) - it seems to me that there is some Auhagen (or Busch?) building looking very similar to this one. You are right, it looks quite European.

But as for stations - I've assembled Busch freight station (I hope it can work for American station), and I've purchased Langley Station kit from Sazmodel, so I think I have enough station buildings. If I need more, I'll try to buy one from BTS.
I need some buildings for my town, not only railroad buildings.
Arseny

Postby Marquette » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:54 pm

Arseny wrote:I've purchased Langley Station kit from Sazmodel

Fort Langley - Langley and Fort Langley are separate places! :)

That station building still stands, by the way. It's about an hour's drive from me and is now a museum.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Previous

Return to General Discussion