Re: Vancouver Train Show November 2013

Postby CSD » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:58 am

Wish I was there. Looking good, boys.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby milwrd1 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:02 pm

Thanks for the pictures, guys. Especially the one showing the NMRA greeting at the door now including TT scale in its comparison of scales. :!: :thumbup: That recognition is HUGE :!: :!:

To Marquette: The Imperial Tank car behind the CN SW1200 .......isn't that one of the Joma brass models? Did you make the decals yourself or did you get them from somebody :?: :?:
milwrd1

Postby Marquette » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:30 pm

It is indeed a Joma model. I got the decals from Black Cat - http://www.greatdecals.com/BlackCat.htm - he'll do up any of his sets in TT on request.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby dileTTante » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:38 am

Our Sunday at the show was good. Attendance was okay, when we had expected a possibly slow day because people would be watching the BC Lions play in the Canadian Football League semi-finals (the Lions lost). Once again the attractive layout and strange size held people's attention in front of our TT trains.

The man who said Saturday that he would join us Sunday, didn't. One of Bill's SWs suddenly began grinding away and we had to take it out of service. Otherwise the trains all ran well. We put DC on the tracks instead of DCC and ran different locomotives.

The space at the centre of the layout is filled with a circle made from the corners which Bill had used on his original layout. The curves are too sharp for running normal trains. Saturday I ran a KRES VT135 on the circle with digital, Sunday I put an old BTTB BR86 with some short passenger wagons running on DC. Later I experimented with some old BTTB equipment which Bill had brought along. The trains running on that little circle of track all day were mostly toylike but it interested the children and made for a continually active layout.

On the main layout after running with DC in the morning we switched to digital for the afternoon, running the SW1200s again.

One visitor hoped Bill would take the TT Tracks layout down to Portland for the NMRA show in 2015. I'm going to nag Bill to do that, then I can take Amtrak down the coast to Portland and help him at the show. That would be fun.

Arseny, the blue building is Bill's from an N scale structure. He has written about it already and I'll leave it to him to comment further if he wants to.

Probably I've overlooked something but others can comment, too, and questions can be answered.
-Terry C.
Attachments
DSC01476R.JPG
DSC01475R.JPG
DSC01519R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby dileTTante » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:43 am

A few more photos
Attachments
DSC01507R.JPG
DSC01511R.JPG
DSC01523R.JPG
DSC01532R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:00 am

:clap:

Again, thanks for the inspiration.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:59 am

The trees in the center look very nice.
As for me, both trees and BTTB trains do not look toylike; only the curves are too sharp, indeed.
Arseny

Re: Vancouver Train Show November 2013 - That Blue Building.

Postby railtwister » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:35 am

Hi Arseny,

I think I recognize the blue building as a down sized copy of an HO scale structure called the Superior Bakery. The HO version was originally produced in plastic during the late 1950's to early 1960's by Revell, and was one of several model train structure kits they offered at the time.

Later, as I recall, the line was made by Heljan (who may have made them for Revell originally), and sold under other labels like ConCor. During the Heljan years, some of the models were also made in N scale (a scale that didn't even exist when the buildings were first offered by Revell). I know that the HO versions were used by S scale modelers to kit bash structures in that scale (usually by adding a short "foundation" wall at the bottom to raise the height, and possibly also changing out the doors), so I'm not surprised to see an N scale one used on a TT layout.

It's also interesting to note that several of the buildings in the Revell line were actually factory kitbashes of some of the original structures in the line. For instance, the Bakery was based on the original Engine House, and there was a Howard Johnson's Restaurant based on the original Train Station. Some of the other buildings in the line included a Farm House, a Barn, a schoolhouse, and a set of small Railroad buildings including a crossing shanty, lineside shack, and switchman's tower. Revell also made several HO scale models of early sixties automobiles, mostly all Chrysler products, such as Plymouth, Dodge, Valiant, etc. Unfortunately, the dies for those autos were pretty well worn out (and showed it!) during the last run that was offered by ConCor, back in the 1980's.

Probably more than you wanted to know!

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby Arseny » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:13 am

Thank you, Bill!
It's very intersting. I think I would like to have Howard Johnson's Restaurant on my layout (don't know why... )
Seems that I have to check Ebay for some old Heljan/Con-cor buildings...
As for cars - unfortunately it's very hard to kitbash the N-scale car model to make it looking like TT-scale, and in addition car models from 1960s are ususally too rough, but as for building... it can work!
Arseny

Postby railtwister » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:27 pm

Arseny wrote:Thank you, Bill!
It's very intersting. I think I would like to have Howard Johnson's Restaurant on my layout (don't know why... )
Seems that I have to check Ebay for some old Heljan/Con-cor buildings...
As for cars - unfortunately it's very hard to kitbash the N-scale car model to make it looking like TT-scale, and in addition car models from 1960s are ususally too rough, but as for building... it can work!

Arseny,

I just remembered, the old Revell HO train station wasn't the one that was also sold as a Howard Johnsons (the HoJo was the Atlas kit, and may still be available in HO). I don't think the HoJo was made for N. I believe the alter ego for the Revell station may have been a school house (please forgive my bad memory, it was about 50 years ago!), but I'm not sure if it was ported to N scale or not. The HO version of the station had a round roofed cupola in the roof over the ticket office, while the N version ended up with two cupolas instead of one.

The Atlas HO station was copied in N scale and was sold here by Model Power both as a kit (sku #490-1524) and a built-up (may now be discontinued). I seem to recall thinking it wasn't very accurately scaled to N scale, although I don't recall if it was too big or too small. I think it was made by Pola. The current Model Power N scale wayside station (#490-2562 ) could be used for TT, since the freight doors measure about 10' x 10'. It's really a European prototype, but can pass for American. There's a small door on the attached shed (bathroom?) at the back, which could be cut out and replaced with a larger door made from a piece of scribed styrene. Both stations can be seen at:
<http://www.walthers.com/exec/search?category=&scale=N&manu=490&item=&keywords=station&words=restrict&instock=Q&split=30&Submit=Search>

Bill in FtL
railtwister

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion