Vancouver train show March 2015

Re: Vancouver train show March 2015

Postby railtwister » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:50 pm

voyttek wrote:The Strongest TT Gang in North America at The Vancouver Train Show.
It was nice to meet Everybody again and see You in Portland ( shuuuush... my wife does not know yet .....)

Can you add caption with names to this photo so we know who's who?

Thanks
Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby CN-TT » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:40 pm

Hey Bill in Ftl, the names are on our name tags :lol:

From left to right:
Bill, Bjoern, Tibi, Terry, Voytek
You gotta do much more than believe if you really wanna change things!

"The GuiTTar Case" Gallery
"The GuiTTar Case" YouTube
CN-TT

Postby dileTTante » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:49 pm

CSD wrote:Great display, guys. Sorry to have missed it.
I'm sorry you missed it, too. It's always a plus to have you at the show. Have you any good excuse for not going to the show in Portland?
-Terry C.
dileTTante

Postby CSD » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:20 pm

dileTTante wrote:... Have you any good excuse for not going to the show in Portland?...

I think what you mean to say is - see you in Portland.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby milwrd1 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:34 pm

Rob M wrote:
CN-TT wrote:Western Rails 2015 is over and I'm proud to announce that "The GuiTTar Case" has won the Best-of-Show Award.

Fantastic!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Congratulations on Best of Show!! Truly a marvelous little layout, very unique and extremely well done. Congratulations again, and thanks for sharing the pictures of the Vancouver Train Show.
milwrd1

Postby CN-TT » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:32 pm

CSD wrote:
dileTTante wrote:... Have you any good excuse for not going to the show in Portland?...

I think what you mean to say is - see you in Portland.

Mark, that's great! When people ask, 'Where can I buy this?' we just point at you! That makes it easy!!!
You gotta do much more than believe if you really wanna change things!

"The GuiTTar Case" Gallery
"The GuiTTar Case" YouTube
CN-TT

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:43 pm

milwrd1 wrote:
Rob M wrote:
CN-TT wrote:Western Rails 2015 is over and I'm proud to announce that "The GuiTTar Case" has won the Best-of-Show Award.

Fantastic!!

Congratulations on Best of Show!! Truly a marvelous little layout, very unique and extremely well done. Congratulations again, and thanks for sharing the pictures of the Vancouver Train Show.

Here is a larger image of the award.
2015-03-15 GuiTTar Award.jpg

When I was talking to the show coordinator after we (the store) finished our late load out, he commented that the judges kept coming back to the layout because of how unique it was and how well it ran and how well it was finished.
The award is well deserved, it is a great liTTle layout..
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:08 pm

It truly is very unique. And while I haven't seen it working, the scenery and detail are gorgeous. It's very cool that it got recognized.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:55 pm

As the other members have posted, it was a good show this year. Setup went well. Most things ran well. The rain held off until tear down Sunday afternoon.
With a frontage of thirty-five feet we were as long as the HO modular layout displaying there.

A few more pictures:

Tibi's display with Tibi to the left.
20150315 tibis layout.jpg
It is four pieces of foam held together, I think, by the rail joiners. It ran very well and as you can see by the two power packs, was DC controlled. I think we have convinced him of the merits of DCC.

Terry's display.
20150315 Terrys Display.jpg
As Terry has noted in another posting, this was just finished. It is four pieces of foam joined together with an interesting Styrene locking mechanism. He buried bits of sheet Styrene sheet in the foam parallel to the edges. Then another piece of Styrene sheet interlocks with those pieces to hold two modules together. Worked quite well.

The outer loop of track on his display was fixed in place. The inner loop is Kuehn track. Someone sent me a set of Kuehn track to review, it is very nice track but has sharp curves and sharp turnouts, that I have no use for, so it is going to Terry to use on his display. His display ran well and was controlled by Z21 (note upper case "Z") DCC. more on z/Z21 later.

The TT-tracks Display.
20150315 tt tracks display.jpg
Despite almost no work or maintenance on the display since November last year, it ran well. I did note a bit of track lifting on one module edge. That and other issues will be addressed before the Victoria show. Inside the oval is a display of my original TT-Scale train set, a display of Corgi TT-Scale models and the two bridges Bjoern acquired.

The station module.
20150315 TT Tracks Station Module.jpg
This module has the most work done on it but you can't see it. A plugable power cable was added from this module to the power corner module. It was supposed to fit nicely under the modules but I neglected to cut clearance notches for the cable so we bodged it over the edge of the tables and around to the power corner. Clearance notches will be added.
The empty space inside the inside curve continues to perplex me. I think it will be an industrial area with a few industries off of a spur from the right side of the module but that will entail a new non-standard module (actually a pair of modules, one front and rear) so the track can get there. Much to ponder.
As usual my Digtrax Super Chief DCC system ran the layout. I neglected to bring my radio receiver so we ran tethered.
The display may grow longer. Bjoern is talking about a module or two for his new bridges and Voytek may do a pair as well. We will see.
Transport of the straight modules is OK but I would like to replace the cardboard boxes with something better. If I could find 48 Litre 'Really-Useful Boxes' it would be easier to carry the modules but I can't find anyone who carries them around here. I may have to mail order them from the US. Going to be expensive with our currently bad Canadian Dollar.

Last but not least the Award Winning GuiTTar layout.
20150315 guiTTar control.jpg
Others have posted much better pictures than I took but I wanted this image here to show what was controlling his display, a z21 (note lower case "z") DCC system.

Both Terry and Bjoern were using z/Z21 DCC products by Fleischmann and Roco to control their displays.
Bjoern had the white z21 lower featured model and Terry had the black Z21 full featured model.
This is an interesting product. Designed from the outset to use WIFI, they come with a wireless router that is cabled directly to the command station. You use a tablet or smart phone (Android or Apple) to run your trains. You can also plug throttles into each system. The Z21 full featured system has multiple throttle buses, LocoNet for Digitrax, express net and others so you can use other manufacturers throttles with the system.

Although the full featured system is expensive it does interest me. The fact that it is much smaller and lighter than my Digitrax system is a big plus. I would have to find another way to carry the extension cord, spare floor shims and other bits currently in the Digitrax storage crate but that would not be a big issue. Being able to use my current Digitrax throttles is a big plus.
More things to ponder and budget for.

Most equipment ran well. I bad ordered a long gondola right away as it wouldn't stay coupled. My SP SW1200 started squeaking. A lube will fix that. One European steamer quit after a few hours of running.
We really do ask a lot from our equipment at shows. How often do you run a locomotive for five to six hours straight?
It is a testament to how well they are built that they put up with this abuse.

The next show will be in Victoria, BC at the end of May. It looks like it will be Bjoern and myself with Graeme helping out.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:37 pm

Hey Bill, what's the Amtrack loco at the station module? And yeah I agree that equipment gets abused at shows. At the National 2 years ago I had two motors go bye-bye. They were both Tillig locos - I haven't had problems with other brands so far.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Events