Vancouver train show March 18 2012

Re: Vancouver train show March 18 2012

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:22 am

Welcome aboard smallislandguy! TT rocks and the gang on this site rocks even more.

Glenfiddich says Cheers!
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:03 am

dileTTante wrote:little creatures waiting to grab our expensive trains.

I think, guys, you must have some TT-scale startsets for sale on the show; and you'll get some new TTers 10 years later or so... :wink:
Arseny

Postby dileTTante » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:23 am

Bill Dixon displayed his starter set at the show last November. One lady was interested in a set like that but there is no local dealer selling one. Your idea is for us to buy stock to resell. I don't have money to do that. I have considered putting together a basic TT set and giving it away at the show as a door prize for those who visit the TT display. So far there's a loco and a DC power pack. I haven't enough to make a set but maybe within the year. An oval of bedding track and a few goods wagons --

Much easier to promote would be a starter set of a N. American train. Maybe we can get CSD and his pals to produce one.
-Terry C.
dileTTante

Postby scaro » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:31 am

i think this 'starter set in TT' idea is one of those things that just isn't going to happen and is one of the tired old mantras that ought to be given a rest, like 'why don't we get atlas to start making TT stuff?'

it satisfies the criteria.

1. it is raised every year.

2. every year, it doesn't happen, without fail.

if you're a guy with a million to invest, then you *should* raise it ... if you don't ... just maybe you shouldn't.

maybe we need an FAQ for the forum that debunks common misconceptions and 'good ideas' that really aren't?
scaro

Postby Arseny » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Ok; agreed; of course you must be a millionaire to start the new startset; all the more if we are talking about N.American TT-scale startset.

But I did not talk about N.American startset! :naughty: Of course it would be a great thing, but if we are talking about the startset for children - for children it does not matter, which country! The train is a train, it's enough!
When I was 10-years old, I had a BTTB's startset with SNCF electric locomotive, 2-axle steam locomotive "looking like" German DR's BR92, passenger cars "looking like" Soviet ones, and completely fictional gondola and flatcar. Later I've purchased West German diesel and Soviet ChME-2 and was quite happy to use them all together!

So, I was talking about already available startsets - you don't have to be a millionaire, because Tillig already produce some! 8-)
(And also Roco does, but Roco's startsets do not include rails!)

So, my idea was to arrange with Eurotrainhobby or Reynaulds and sell their TT-scale startsets, paying them LATER, only when (if) they are sold and you get money from the customers.
If German models were attractive for the children at the show, they will be happy to get the German startset, why not?..

http://www.eurotrainhobby.com/product_i ... 5htscshu42
http://www.reynaulds.com/products/Tillig/501010.aspx
http://www.reynaulds.com/products/Tillig/01414.aspx
http://www.reynaulds.com/products/Tillig/01424.aspx
http://www.reynaulds.com/starter-sets/Tillig.aspx
Arseny

Postby CSD » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:49 pm

Back on topic.

This show was a lot of fun. I can't add any value to what was already said other than that it was a real pleasure to see some old friends and make some new ones. My thanks to Gunnar, who's initiative made our display a success and to Bill and Terry for organizing and including us. And to all the little people out there. Children really are the future...

Two things that caught my attention at the show were 1) Bill's F unit. It was beautifully put together and was the first NA locomotive in TT that I have ever seen move and 2) Voytek's buildings. Some truly unique structures all scratch built from photographs. Very nice!
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby Arseny » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:22 pm

You are doing a great thing, guys!
I would like to be with you!
Unfortunately I must travel a little bit more than 15 hours to come to Vancouver... :smile:
Arseny

Postby Marquette » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:28 pm

I agree re Voytek's buildings... that station was great! Right down to the signage in Polish, loved it!
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:15 pm

Arseny wrote:You are doing a great thing, guys!
I would like to be with you!
Unfortunately I must travel a little bit more than 15 hours to come to Vancouver... :smile:

Thinking about the November show it looks like 18 hours and $1100.00 US. A bit much for a two day show.

I did once drive to Flagstaff Arizona with friends to spend Canadian Thanksgiving with a friend who had just moved there from Edmonton. About three days to get there. To be perverse we came back via Denver.

Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Arseny » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:51 am

Bill Dixon wrote:Saturday - Setup.

I left the store (Central Hobbies) around 2PM, went though a 'Chez Ronalds' drive through for a bit of sustenance and arrived at the hall a bit after 2:30 to find Terry and Graeme already there.
Dress, pack - cooler with water, pop and muchies for the day, box of TT-stuff (we'll get back to that later), my wife and off to 'La Maison Ronald' drive through for breakfast (again) and on the road to the show.

Bill, sorry for my offtopic questions, but I am quite interested in the North American resident's way of life...

Do you mean that you have your breakfasts not at home, but somewhere outside, in the restaurants?
"Drive-through"? I.e. you had your breakfast just in the car? Or already at the show?..

I tried to find 'Chez Ronalds' or 'La Maison Ronald' restaurants in Vancouver by Google, but failed.
Are they too small/unknown? Or it is a nickname for McDonalds or some other restaurants?.. :thinking:

What kind of food is popular in Canada/North America?
Some bakery? muffins? hamburgers? Maybe cereals, corn flakes? porridge? Something else?..

:wink:
Arseny

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion